Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thru Hull Exhaust Install

Thru Hull Exhaust Install

I recently aquired for a decent price Corsa manual exhaust diverters and bought some 4" straight cut tips with internal flaps. I have all boots and clamps i need, just want to be certain I have covered all angles.
    I am going to run it thru hull and out drive. I already have a 4" hole saw to drill holes and am gonna tape off to prevent cracking gel. Of course I will measure 10 times, and figure start cut from outside in. I have marine tek, epoxy and 5200. I have heard the different replies about 5200,so I know. I guess use epoxy to seal inside cut? floowed of course by sealing tips. I guess my only question is relocating water line from lower unit to exhaust risers? Take out bolt insert nipple and attach which line? Or is that no necessary? Thanks for any help and hopefully not to much critisism. IK will try to attach a couple pics if I can upload them from cell phone in the next couple minutes. Oh and I am running 5.7 chevy 350EFI with alpha 1 outdrive if it is factor. Thanks again to all, you are a great help.

Is there a Y pipe already installed? If not, I think your install job is bigger then you think....engine has to come out if there is no pipe....

Epoxy is good to seal the 4" holes, but if you could remove say an 1/8 inch of coring and then fill the gap with filled epoxy that would be better.

Use silicone to mount the tips, you may want to remove them in the future.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by fogducker III View Post
    Is there a Y pipe already installed? If not, I think your install job is bigger then you think....engine has to come out if there is no pipe....
    If I read it right, he already has the ypipe and wants to add the diverters. Been there and done that but mine had a Bravo setup.

Like Chachi said, epoxy the inner holes and use silicone. No 5200 if you ever want to get them out again.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Y pipe as far as i know is there. Pipe runs off of risers and connects behind motor. It has oval connection that matches that on the bottom of the diverter. It just ties in there correct and then two out the rear transom. It has factory set up at moment that goes through outdrive. No mods.
    I think I have a clue how to do this, just take my time. I guess where my uncertainty is in the water line. I guess if dont run through riser then it is considered dry, and my exhaust temps might run considerably higher?

pics

I think I uploaded some pics. We will see. First is motor with lines off front, 2nd and 3rd should be risers. Straight shot out rear with exception of right side relocating gear oil reservoir up or right a couple inches.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

First things first!

Merc makes a pattern and ill post a pic of it so you can get the measurements..Cut a hole in a piece of plywood first and make sure you have enough play room to mount the tips, i usually use a 4 1/8'' hole saw..After the holes are cut paint the bare wood and fiberglass from the holesaw, use a sealer from west marine called life seal,this way they can be removed without destroying the gel and fiberglass..

Before you remove the risers try to remove the 80* elbow first,this way if you have the dry joint exhaust it wont cost you 100 bucks for the gaskets..if you slide the rubber exhaust bellow down far enough on the y pipe you should be able to slide them back off the risers..all else fails then unbolt them but drain the manifolds first..When you go to cut the holes with the hole saw drill a pilot hole first and take your measurements inside the boat to make sure everything is going to line up..now when your ready to use the hole saw run the drill backwards until you get through the gel,also apply masking tape over the area your cutting with the hole saw..

Good luck!

Sorry, my bad, read it wrong......

Follow Fix's info and you will be good to go....

Fixx apreciate the pics. I wonder if I could order that from any where. Cause actually didn't see a measure on there for top of outdrive to centerline of hole. If you follow what I'm asking? Cause basically if I had that I could run up outdrive to center and the the 12 and whatever inches out in each direction. But thx alot again it will help out. I'm sure it's just patience and precise measurements

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by ta2dfyrman View Post
    Fixx apreciate the pics. I wonder if I could order that from any where. Cause actually didn't see a measure on there for top of outdrive to centerline of hole. If you follow what I'm asking? Cause basically if I had that I could run up outdrive to center and the the 12 and whatever inches out in each direction. But thx alot again it will help out. I'm sure it's just patience and precise measurements

Its on the first pic, 12 5/8 '' from the crankshaft centerline.. you can click on the pic several times to blow it up..it the tips wont cleat the rub rail area you may have to trim the top portion of the ring on the tip.

Ohh. Ok sorry fixx I'm checking this from my iPhone so I didn't see it. I will check it all again when I get home. Is there any sort of landmark to mark the center(ie line,bolt,etc)?

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Read the first pic when you get home, its like a blueprint and gives you all the measurements..start out with a small drill bit and drill a small hole after you get the measurements all marked out on the transom,then go inside the boat and check from the center od the hole to the center of the riser,you want a slight angle down towards the tips so the water can drain..

I once did a Scarab where nothing was standard.

Mock it up with 4" PVC or thin wall metal tubing.
    That way you will know where and at what angle to drill the transom.
    In my case the angle was not 90 to the transom.

I sure had to take a deep breath before drilling the 1st hole.

All 4 came out right on the money !!!!
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

I decided due to the fact I would like to use boat Friday and saturday, I will postpone project till bright and early Monday. So I have all measurements and tools.And also the epoxy and sealant have proper curing time. Thx for help I guess I will post pics of success or disaster however it turns.......

Viewable pics.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Thread Information