Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1976 X-18 What's it worth?

1976 X-18 What's it worth?

Hi all. I'm looking at a 1976 X-18 This boat has a fair interior and has a repainted hull. The 350 is in running condition, though not at all pretty. The Volvo 280 outdrive has some power tilt issues, miscellaneous gauges do not work, and I'm told that it needs some other wiring done. It is not known at this time if the tank was ever replaced. It is on an original Donzi trailer. I was told to make an offer, but I do not want to offend the seller. I'm looking for some input as to what you beleive would be a fair offer. I'm thinking somewhere between 4,500 to 5,500. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Without pictures it is difficult to tell the real condition of the boat, but your price range seems fair for a boat in the condition you describe.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Dakari View Post
    I'm thinking somewhere between 4,500 to 5,500. What do you all think?
    Thanks!
    The hull alone is worth close to that
    if no rot or voids . . .

Buyers market
    cash talks . . .

Thanks, Bill. It was originally brown, but was sprayed red later on. The paint is flaking off in spots, so I'm thinking I may be able to strip it off pretty easily to return to the original nasty-brown color.

Nice rig you have there, Marlin! Any input as far as X-18's you could give me would be appreciated! One other thing I did notice is that some of the foam in the engine compartment appears to be coming off on the port side...

Nice rig you have there, Marlin! Any input as far as X-18's you could give me would be appreciated!
    Thanks for the nice words.

I have had mine for 10 years now
    and have fixed just about everything
    New gas tank etc . . .
    The X is the best of the 18s

Was going to sell mine but as you can see
    you have to give them away in this market

here is more info, pictures and video
    of my X-18

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61641

One in florida

hi if you go on boat trader ther is on in west coast of fl. and they will take 5500.00 boat is in much nicer condition then the one you described , almost bought it myself but realy looking for a barrel back i will try to get you a contact number good luck tony g

I just looked at the pics and video of your X, and I'm speechless! Outstanding job!

Thanks, Tony! The rub is that the one I am looking at is less than 10 miles from my house (MA),vs driving down to FL. It does give me a demonstrable example of market value to the seller, which puts it squarely in the range I'm looking at spending.

The gas tank and the stringers are the big thing in an X. The stringers have a notch cut in them for the motor mounts, and if not properly sealed are a direct path for water to enter and rot out the stringers. Check out the stringers around the motor mount, unless you are buying it as a project. A '76 should have an aluminum tank, which is better than steel, but I just had to replace the aluminum tank in my X-18 due to a crack. The X-18 is my favorite style Donzi. Where in MA are you located?
    Post some pictures please.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

I paid around $5k for mine and then did a deck off resto. The hull, stringers and transom were dry.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I would offer lower for that boat. Project boats are bringing nothing in this market. Unless the x-18 factor is real big to you.

Thank you to everyone for the input. Kirby, thanks for the tips on the stringers, I'll definitely check them out. Should it be visually obvious if there are stringer problems, or do I need to probe into them? Also, what do you make of the foam delamination problem in the engine compartment? I'm from Rowley, MA, just south of the NH border. The X-18 is on it's second owner, and spent all but the last 2 years in the midwest.

Hedgehog and Glenncal1, thanks for the opinions, I really appreciate them all!

Here's a pic of the X-18 I took a couple weeks ago...

Kirby, thanks for the tips on the stringers, I'll definitely check them out. Should it be visually obvious if there are stringer problems, or do I need to probe into them?
    Here is a photo before and after on my boat.

This is what they looked like on Wayne's "onesubdrvr" X-18.

Thread Information