Thread: Black exhaust tips or mufflers

Black exhaust tips or mufflers

I saw a big Fountain with flat black exhaust tips. (matt finish) Anyone know where you can locate these? I wonder if they were powder coated.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Jraysray View Post
    I saw a big Fountain with flat black exhaust tips. (matt finish) Anyone know where you can locate these? I wonder if they were powder coated.

yes they were powder coated,their nice when their done but start peeling after a few years..

Probably wouldnt peel for a long time IF they were properly done. Most marine companies will not spend the money to have it done right.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

it may last for a few years,,if done with electromagnetic powder coating the piece would have to be magnetic..316 stainless is not magnetic and a biach to get the powder coat to stick.

just my o2

So what about mineral deposits? Will they stick and can it be cleaned? The one I was looking at was in salt and I saw faint white spots..
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

You can probably keep them clean w/acetone and Limeaway.....
    but not at the same time!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
    Probably wouldnt peel for a long time IF they were properly done. Most marine companies will not spend the money to have it done right.
    What do you thinK it would cost to do that? Rough ball park est.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Black Oxide

Look into "Black Oxide". It can be done to variuos materials. You can even do it yourself in some cases.

http://www.abblackoxide.com/
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    Look into "Black Oxide". It can be done to variuos materials. You can even do it yourself in some cases.

http://www.abblackoxide.com/
    Reply from them, won't work.

No we can't do that and it would rust quickly. Stay with the chrome or go to powder coating.

Sent: Mon, Aug 23, 2010 1:24 pm
    Subject: Marine application

Is it possible to take all my chrome and stainless steel and have you apply the Black Oxide to it? How does Salt water affect it? Is it easy to clean? Will it fade or peel?

Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

OK: How about Black Chrome Plate..?
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Jraysray View Post
    What do you thinK it would cost to do that? Rough ball park est.
    If they are in good shape to start with about $40-$50 ea. sandblasted, degreased, alum etch/cleaner, deionized water rinse and double coated with marine/architectural powder.

GBond Guest
    The crude that ends up on the transom (exhaust) is annoying anuff, let alone black tips! Just my thought...IMHO, course!

To each there own.....

[quote=GBond;575641]The crude that ends up on the transom (exhaust) is annoying anuff, let alone black tips! Just my thought...IMHO, course!

To each there own.....[/qu

I hear ya but the boat I saw these on was really trick. The chrome everything is everywhere and on everything. My interior is all black and I mean everything. (and hot as hell) The stripe is yellow.

I have always liked the blacked out look on cars. If done right it looks really aggressive. So im kicking the idea around.

Not thinking it would work on my pipes now. Like I said just an idea and a lil different.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

I also like the look of flat black. No reason powder coating won't hold up on stainless steel.

Thread Information