Thread: Paging Knots2u !!!

Paging Knots2u !!!

Bob,

in another thread you mentioned that an original bilt rite interior which had puckered could be brought back to life . would ya mind telling me how

the original bilt rite interior in my 68 benchseat hornet is loose in spots and has one small tear but otherwise is in great shape for 42 yrs old

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    Bob,

in another thread you mentioned that an original bilt rite interior which had puckered could be brought back to life . would ya mind telling me how

the original bilt rite interior in my 68 benchseat hornet is loose in spots and has one small tear but otherwise is in great shape for 42 yrs old

Thanks
    PM him he will return you message.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

So........

Is the hornet gonna make it to the picnic?............

Mattyboy! How's it going buddy?

Ok, first about the buckles on that ski sporter. If you feel along the welt on the cushion ( about 3/8" in ) you should be able to feel where all the vinyl was sew together. There are four layers of vinyl there, the top channel vinyl is one, the welt is two layers, and the bottom vinyl ( or border ) is one more. Try changing which way the four layers are folded. If they are folded down try folding them up so they end up between the foam and the channel vinyl. If they are already folded up try folding them down so they are between the foam and bottom vinyl. On those upright cushions, to do the folding up use your four fingers on the fold underneath the cushion and pinch the layers aginst the palm of your hand ( your palm is against the channel vinyl ) and fold the vinyl up. To fold it down, your four fingers would be on the channel vinyl and your palm would be against the bottom of the cushion. Take a look at the bottom vinyl on one of your bottom cushions, you might be able to see the layers end about 3/8" in from the welt. It's easy! Get out there and massage your cushions!
    Now your cushions Matty. Chances are after 42 years the foam that the channel was sewn to has decomposed back to sand. I'm not talking about the 4" thick piece of foam, the vinyl is sewn onto 1/2" thick foam with a cloth like ( scrim ) backing. That backing gives the foam strength and also keeps the thread from ripping through. If you look inside your cushions and see a bunch of gritty material at the bottom, that would be your foam, there is no remedy. As far as that split on the bottom cushion, get some toothpicks and crazy glue. Carefully put small amounts of glue on a toothpick and apply to just the edges of the split. Carefully again, push the split together, try not to overlap the edges, just get them to match up. That is about the best fix there is.
    Your bottom cushion can easily be re-produced. Take pictures of it, trace the shape of it onto paper, tell the upoholsterer that the tracing is the finished cushion. He/she will have to add extra all around based on how wide they like their seams. You also have access to two new bottom cushions ( as well as the uprights! ) that you could show the upholsterer. Keep in mind Scott's bottom cushion has higher foam than Pauls'.

Questions? Ask away.....

anyway, hope I helped,
    Bob

Thanks Bob

great info

Matty
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride