Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Dash Paint...?

Carbon Fiber Dash Paint...?

My dash is carbon fiber and faded/patchy....is there a suitable paint I can use on it? I don't want to put in the new gauges until I either fix it or replace it....

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by fogducker III View Post
    My dash is carbon fiber and faded/patchy....is there a suitable paint I can use on it? I don't want to put in the new gauges until I either fix it or replace it....

it's probably silk screened,they make a carbon fiber vinyl you can use..

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    it's probably silk screened,they make a carbon fiber vinyl you can use..
    So it is a "stick on" type thing? I don't need to stick to the carbon fiber look so looking at a metallic paint to match the grab rails but not sure what to use or how to prep the dash...

Is this true carbon fiber or the carbon fiber looking plastic?

I have owned both and they both work fine but you may want to use different paint. I would imagine that any good paint with a flexing agent (how about that term Fixx?) would work.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Is this true carbon fiber or the carbon fiber looking plastic?

I have owned both and they both work fine but you may want to use different paint. I would imagine that any good paint with a flexing agent (how about that term Fixx?) would work.
    Good point, I am not sure if it is real carbon fiber or not...? It looks like it, both sides and it is very light weight......

I will try and snap a pic to see what it is and then choose primer and paint...

Real carbon fiber is $25+ dollars a yd (meter)... So it is probably vinyl. Take out a screw, if there is some holding in on, and take a look to see if there's a thin layer of ?.......

If it is carbon, then it probably was layed up w/epoxy.
    Epoxy won't stand up to the UV in sun light.
    This is obviously a problem and you see it a lot in high performance bicycles where parts like forks will become delaminated as the epoxy fails.
    Personally, I don't think the real stuff is a good material for a dash panel.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Maybe sand it with wet/dry and brush or spray it with a polyurethane "Spar Varnish" with a good UV inhibitor built in.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Quote Originally Posted by DonziJon View Post
    Maybe sand it with wet/dry and brush or spray it with a polyurethane "Spar Varnish" with a good UV inhibitor built in.
    Along those lines, why not clear it with any good automotive clearcoat after wet sanding it? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Turns out it is not real carbon fiber, just some sort of faux cover over plastic, ended up putting a plastic friendly self etching primer and then a metalic plastic paint to match the rub rails, turned out OK....thanks for the input guys....

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Along those lines, why not clear it with any good automotive clearcoat after wet sanding it? Bill

Works like a champ. Got the good clear on mine.

Sounds like he got it worked out though. I would love to see the pics. I actually thought about doing the same paint over with a solid color treatment to my faux carbon fiber dash on the 27. Then I went and had a carbon fiber dash done on my 26. Go figure.

Got the dash primed and painted, turned out OK, got the Hardin Marine gauges installed, VERY good quality and the price was definatly right..............

Although I forgot to order the trim gauge......I also have the mechanical trim gauge so I might just put an hour meter in that spot on the dash....

First pic is original dash, then no dash and finally finished.

One problem I have is when I have the nav lights on I get all gauges except the speedo lit up and if I disconnect the spade connection on one side of the speedo light, there are two spade connections on the speedo light, all other gauges are one, and I hook the spade connection from the four smaller gauges, that are all hooked in sequence, straight to the second connection on the speedo the four small gauges do not light but now the speedo does....

I am taking my power from the + side of the tach which is linked through the nav light switch, what have I screwed up...??

Quote Originally Posted by fogducker III View Post
    Got the dash primed and painted, turned out OK, got the Hardin Marine gauges installed, VERY good quality and the price was definatly right..............

Although I forgot to order the trim gauge......I also have the mechanical trim gauge so I might just put an hour meter in that spot on the dash....

First pic is original dash, then no dash and finally finished.

One problem I have is when I have the nav lights on I get all gauges except the speedo lit up and if I disconnect the spade connection on one side of the speedo light, there are two spade connections on the speedo light, all other gauges are one, and I hook the spade connection from the four smaller gauges, that are all hooked in sequence, straight to the second connection on the speedo the four small gauges do not light but now the speedo does....

I am taking my power from the + side of the tach which is linked through the nav light switch, what have I screwed up...??
    Looks nice.

I have a Gaffrig white 270 degree sweep trim gauge you can have if you like. New in the box

Nice ride.......... I dig all white boats. FYI... Those radio covers are on bay for $25. Mine was yellowed by the sun. Brand new they are snow white.... So it will match your new gauges. Keep the boating pic's coming. I love your neighborhood........

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Looks nice.

I have a Gaffrig white 270 degree sweep trim gauge you can have if you like. New in the box
    Thanks for the offer, after thinking about it I think I will put in an hour meter, the electric trim gauge is kinda redundant with the mechanical one....

Still have to figure out the lighting issue....

Thread Information