Thread: 1988 Z-29 engine help

1988 Z-29 engine help

i posted a while back about my new to me boat and its froze engines. i finally have a chance to do some work on it so i pulled the engines and took them apart to rebuild. i need some help identifying the engines ,they are not the origionals. maybe this will help? block#10114182, heads#14097088, crank#14097044, intake#6269316 aluminum, cam#6209,pistons kb 203 i think its a gen 5. it also had the fuel pump and sea pump running off the same unit , i guess because there is no fuel pump provision. thanks in advance for any help.

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

what you have is a pair of 1992's gen V 454's standard deck..cylinder heads are 119cc open chamber heads,2.19 intake valves wirh 1.88 exhaust valves.if a magnet dont stick to the exhaust valves they are probably inconel valves. they were most likely 454 mag motors 365 hp..they probably have forged crankshafts and 7/16 dimple rods..got pics,that would tell me more..

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

this may spark interest to you..

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ed-boat-3.html

post 29..

I was just looking at my heads to take some pics to post and noticed the head gaskets are felpro 17046 arent those gen 4 gaskets it looks that there was water leaking into the two center cylinders could that be the problem?

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by jbenzeleski View Post
    I was just looking at my heads to take some pics to post and noticed the head gaskets are felpro 17046 arent those gen 4 gaskets it looks that there was water leaking into the two center cylinders could that be the problem?

looks like someone used the wrong head gaskets,they should be 17042 gaskets..that explanes why yhe engines lokced up..pay close attension to the rods for kinks or bends..

here are some engine pics ,you can see the corrosion in the center combustion chamber. i have new eagle h beam rods and probe forged pistons w/ 9.5-1 compression w/ 119cc heads. lunati voodoo cam duration @.050 213/219 lift 515/530 112 lsa lunati voodoo springs w/ manley extreme duty valves i'm planning to use the stock intake unless somone has a better idea and not sure about the carb yet any suggestions would be great im hoping for 400hp . one other question do i really need inconel valves on a lake boat where the lake is only 5mi long and speed limit is 45mph on weekends also while the engine is out i would like to test the stringers for rot how do i do this .

here are the pics

mrfixxall Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jbenzeleski View Post
    here are some engine pics ,you can see the corrosion in the center combustion chamber. i have new eagle h beam rods and probe forged pistons w/ 9.5-1 compression w/ 119cc heads. lunati voodoo cam duration @.050 213/219 lift 515/530 112 lsa lunati voodoo springs w/ manley extreme duty valves i'm planning to use the stock intake unless somone has a better idea and not sure about the carb yet any suggestions would be great im hoping for 400hp . one other question do i really need inconel valves on a lake boat where the lake is only 5mi long and speed limit is 45mph on weekends also while the engine is out i would like to test the stringers for rot how do i do this .

No offence but so far i dont like any of the parts you picked..make sure you fully inspect the probe pistons,make sure when you final hone each cylinder mic the piston's and final hone each piston to each cylinder and mark them per cylinder to piston...you will be fine with the manly severe duty valves,the exhaust are probably inconel's if their also severe duty's..also make sure all the assemblies are ballanced,this will keep the engines from rattleing apart..the cams are a little whimpy,you will make more power with a xm278 ground cam from comp cams..the cams you chose,,dont expect to make any power over 4800 rpm's..they are good for the low end tho..

on another note for the amount of money your going to put into those heads you may be brtter off getting a set of procomps alunimum heads off of ebay,their about 900 bucks ready to go..flying tomato has a set on his and he has had good luck with them..

intake manifold, edelbrock rpm air gap or professional products typhooon which is cheeper,carbs look for a set of holley 800's,thease will support up to 500 hp..

i went through the same thing your going through.i ended up finding a vary low hour pair of 600 sc's..i added up all the cost of rebuilding my 454's the way i wanted to and it would have been over 10k with me doing all the work..sad to say you will never get back what you put into the boat..

thank you for your input i know iwill not get my money back same a with my motorcycle and cars but i really like this boat . if you have any suggestions on other cams or pistons or anything i would really like to hear it the only thing i have purchaced already are the rods and valves thank again

Thread Information