Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Donzi Sweet 16 lists to starboard

Donzi Sweet 16 lists to starboard

Hey Guys

I am new to this forum and about a year into the ownership of a great 16 .. serial number US-DNAC6002H809 .. I think shes classed as a 2010 ... She has a 5.0 MPI and is a real challenge to drive

I have read with interest all the comments about the handling of the classics and wanted to ask your advice ... Other than the fact that she needs tabs to stop the porpoising with the drive trimmed all the way in I am really getting to know the boat ... So far 55 has been my max speed as I dont want to do anything stupid ...yet

In any case I have noticed as the boat sits in the water at anchor she has a visible list to the right ... Do you know if this is normal to counter a prop rotation or should I investigate further

A big hello to the forum and I look forward to the replies

Oh and I know the mantra ..seat time, seat time, seat time

I had a Minx that did the same thing; I think I recall hearing that this is common to boats with such a deep V. Either way, my Minx drove fine under acceleration but, even exhibited some of that list at cruising speeds with just me aboard.

I'm sure the other, more knkowledgeable, Donzi owners will chime in with great advice for you.

battery location?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    battery location?
    That's what I was thinking. Or something sitting on the starboard side of the stringers. My boat sits flat all the time.

Welcome to the board...glad you're enjoying the Donzi!
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

Battery in on the right as well ... oh and she has the bench seat so the pedestal for the single seat could also add weight to the problem ... maybe I need to add ballast to distribute weight better ... I am sure handling would improve too ... Or should I not worry?

Quote Originally Posted by BobKeg View Post
    Battery in on the right as well ... oh and she has the bench seat so the pedestal for the single seat could also add weight to the problem ... maybe I need to add ballast to distribute weight better ... I am sure handling would improve too ... Or should I not worry?
    I would imagine that if you could move the battery to the center, that you'd probably have your problem fixed. The other option is to add another battery on the port side. Personally, I'm a fan of a 2nd battery on board...nevermind why
    1970 18 Classic-original

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin

ok will try and see what happens if I can move the battery and report back ... The story of the second battery sounds intriguing though lol but I wont ask if you dont ask about my need for a second fuel tank a few years back! ... Many thx for the replies so far and feel free to keep em coming till I can try moving the weight around a bit

Quote Originally Posted by BobKeg View Post
    The story of the second battery sounds intriguing though lol but I wont ask if you dont ask about my need for a second fuel tank a few years back!
    Haha. Well what it came down to is my impatience with a faulty alternator. A couple times I had to get a little help from a fellow board member (RedDog) when I was floating with no power. I learned pretty quick that a second battery can keep you out of harms way and keep you from running off a friend!
    1970 18 Classic-original

Before you move the battery, use the sand bag method to see what it will take. Bring the house scale down to the dock and see how much counter weight is required, and exact location. Perhaps a few beers as well LOL

does it list while underway or dip to starboard while driving??? before I would move or add any weight I would get the boat propped correctly and get to know her first. my 16 looked like it was sinking and when off plane with my fat azz in it looked like it would roll over to port ( old 16 helm On the other side from yours) but once on plane it rode level and didn't dip to port.

good luck with the new boat you have probably one of the last production sweet 16 around
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mattyboy View Post
    does it list while underway or dip to starboard while driving??? before I would move or add any weight I would get the boat propped correctly and get to know her first. my 16 looked like it was sinking and when off plane with my fat azz in it looked like it would roll over to port ( old 16 helm On the other side from yours) but once on plane it rode level and didn't dip to port.

good luck with the new boat you have probably one of the last production sweet 16 around
    LOL ... I aint that light either but she lists at anchor with no one in her ... So it definitely is an imbalance .. I will try and get a accurate idea of how much weight I need to offset tomorrow if I can get into the water early enough .. Stay tuned

Sounds odd, snap some cell phone photos if you can.

it's not odd at all , look at these shots of an ass heavy 16 351 w volvo boat much heavier than your setup

look at the water line stripe

one from port one from starboard

When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Except that his is a 2010 model year ...........

doesn't matter it's a lounge shaped seating arrangement V8 16 it was done to offset prop torque. my battery was on the left from the factory his is on the right wonder why they wiould do that??
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Thread Information