Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1974 Donzi Ski-Sporter, V8, E-drive (NOT MINE)

1974 Donzi Ski-Sporter, V8, E-drive (NOT MINE)

This is kind of fun for me, because I have personally known this boat, and its current owner, since 1978.

I am listing this boat for a friend of mine. Those of you in the northeast will have seen this boat on Lake George, or Lake Champlain.

Paul lives in Stowe, VT.

The boat is a 1974 Donzi Ski-Sporter. He is the second owner, and has owned the boat since around 1980 (give or take a couple of years, I'm doing this from memory). Paul is very particular about his things, and as you can see from the pictures, this is a very nice example of a relatively unmolested 1974 Ski-Sporter.

It has the original 350 Chevy engine (he said the hour meter was showing 6XX hours), as well as the original Volvo 270 with a Volvo e-drive lower unit. I also believe it has a 42 gallon tank, as well as trim tabs.
    There is a plaque on the dash referring to the original owner, that says something like, "This Donzi was custom built for XXXXX XXXXXXX (I don't remember his name. He was a financial guy in NYC, and this boat was one of several boats he owned at their large summer "estate" on 4th Lake near Inlet, NY). The color of the boat was done as a custom for the original owner because it matched the color of everything on their summer estate. Even their cars were painted this green with a red stripe. It looks better on the boat.

Paul bought the boat and used it for several years, boating from his family's summer home, also on 4th Lake. He took it with him when he moved to Stowe, VT where he used it on Lake Champlain, and other inland lakes.
    He bought the Eagle trailer for it, and told me he just replaced the tires.

The boat has 2 props.

You can see the driver's seat has been replaced; the boat originally had the flat bottom/flat back seat that was hinged. The original style seats were notoriously "not robust." Some of the gauges have been replaced.

I haven't ridden in this boat since about 1982, but I believe it to be about a 63+ mph boat. This was way before the general availability of GPS, but I was running a race boat at the time, and it felt about like a 63/64 mph boat.
    Paul is selling it because he just doesn't use it anymore. He has run it a couple of times each summer, and then winterizes it and puts it away for the winter.

He told me it was time for someone else who would use it and appreciate it to enjoy it.

If you have any questions please contact Paul ( p k a r t l u k e @ y a h o o . c o m ), as I am only doing the listing.

He is asking $10,900.

I would be comfortable buying this boat myself.

The keen observer will notice the mounting locations for a windshield. The boat came with one of the old school, tall windshields like Jay has had on his red 16. I don't know if Paul still has the windshield.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

That is cool........nice to see a survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    That is cool........nice to see a survivor
    Double ditto!....love the odd color combo.
    1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Thats a great looking boat and wish she were closer, were that would be a must have!!

Gorgeous! I love green though, and it would match my truck!

Can someone tell me what the piece of hardware is that's located at the left knee, down below? I can't figure it. My '69 sure didn't have it.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachme...8&d=1281668122

I noticed that the skeg was cut off the edrive, must be interesting to drive. "HIGH LIFE"

Quote Originally Posted by HOWARD O View Post
    Gorgeous! I love green though, and it would match my truck!

Can someone tell me what the piece of hardware is that's located at the left knee, down below? I can't figure it. My '69 sure didn't have it.

It has a thumb screw in it so how about spare flag holder or to hold the flag when not in use.

Original stern light base, see picture #9 it’s a replacement.

I'd like to see a close up of what looks like an external steering plate at the lower side of the shift cover.
    Maddy's Daddy
    L.I.,N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by HIGH LIFE View Post
    I noticed that the skeg was cut off the edrive, must be interesting to drive. "HIGH LIFE"
    Michael,
    I noticed that immediately, too. Even though the skegs aren't very long or wide, they have to provide better steering control unless they produce blowout from their relatively short length - what do you think? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

all the ones I have seen with the skeg removed came from twin setups with external steering judging by that pic i would say that is where it came from a twin boat with external steering the connector you see was for the tie bar .

not sure in a single setup with cable steering but on a twin boat i would imagine prop torque was not a worry
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

This is the e-drive that came on the boat from Donzi. It had a skeg on it originally, but it met with an untimely death in the form of an underwater strike.

It has never been an issue from a handling stand point.

I don't know about the mount in the middle of the drive that looks like it would be for a hydraulic steering connection. Paul might have replaced the 270 portion of the drive.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

hull number??? struck something then the top very well could have been replaced, I have a replacement 250 that came off twins has the same tie bar connector
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Quote Originally Posted by HOWARD O View Post
    Can someone tell me what the piece of hardware is that's located at the left knee, down below?
    It was where you plugged in the original, hand held spot light. Kind of like a cigarette lighter.

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    38' Carver Aft Cabin

The original Ski Sporter seat was never hinged and was robust from the 1" marine plywood used, but nothing lasts forever. Most likely someone stuck an aftermarket bass boat type seat in there. That interior in the boat is Bilt Rite, with a little massaging you can get the buckles out at the turns in the upright cushions.

Thread Information