Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BravoIII in a minx?

BravoIII in a minx?

Has anyone ever put a dual prop in a classic? I am building a new sbc with a lot of power and it will have more hp than I will use. I was wondering if dual prop it might have more control. The bravoIII is longer which may effect top speed. Thanks Tim

A BIII will cost you a little speed, although they now have some great props for them. The trade off is much better handling, great hole shot and better economy. I doubt you would be disappointed, I ran a Blackhawk on my 22 and loved it. If I had a bit more power to make the drive work the way it should it would still be on the boat.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Go for it! The control and handling will far out weigh the speed loss if much at all. Have a look at the bIII xr line of props like MOP said, this line of props has come a long way.

hp

Quote Originally Posted by epatti1062 View Post
    Has anyone ever put a dual prop in a classic? I am building a new sbc with a lot of power and it will have more hp than I will use. I was wondering if dual prop it might have more control. The bravoIII is longer which may effect top speed. Thanks Tim
    I am building a 383 with whipple efi. It should be about 600hp. Thanks Tim

I am building a 383 with whipple efi. It should be about 600hp. Thanks Tim
    Then I would run an XR and have a runner. If you want good hole shots you will smash the drive in good order swinging two big wheels. Not to mention, the BIII's (not blackhawks) seem to run out of speed at 70 or so. I saw that you are into speed. I can not think of anyone running in the 80's with a real BIII.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

speed

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Then I would run an XR and have a runner. If you want good hole shots you will smash the drive in good order swinging two big wheels. Not to mention, the BIII's (not blackhawks) seem to run out of speed at 70 or so. I saw that you are into speed. I can not think of anyone running in the 80's with a real BIII.
    I do like speed, but I still need more seat time. I have had other fast boats Cat etc. That's why I'm building a motor that will be there when I'm ready. I have looked for a XR drive but they are out of my price range for now. Bravo 1's are in my budget and I can buy a Bravo 3 cheap. Also there is a new bravo X for sale near me for $4200 with gimble etc. The motor is about 3 months from completion programing, exhaust, dyno etc.

Thanks Tim

I do like speed, but I still need more seat time. I have had other fast boats Cat etc. That's why I'm building a motor that will be there when I'm ready. I have looked for a XR drive but they are out of my price range for now. Bravo 1's are in my budget and I can buy a Bravo 3 cheap. Also there is a new bravo X for sale near me for $4200 with gimble etc. The motor is about 3 months from completion programing, exhaust, dyno etc.

Thanks Tim
    I would look hard at that X. Is the assembly HD?

there is at least one Cig20 in the 80's with a BIII
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Quote Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
    there is at least one Cig20 in the 80's with a BIII
    Wasn't that an XR BIII?
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

Quote Originally Posted by osur866 View Post
    Wasn't that an XR BIII?
    I believe so...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

I am sure that you could mount an XR upper to a B-III. I have never heard of a B-III lower with XR gears.

I would imagine that if you could get 80 with 8 prop blades spinning around below the surface, you could really run with a B-1.

Bill Merc came out with the BIII XR cpl years ago.
    2006 CLASSIC 18 WHIPPLED MX 6.2, BRAVO 1, STAINLESS MARINE EXHAUST, LATHAM STEERING, IMCO 2" SHORTY, LABBED MIRAGE PLUS

TALK IS CHEAP, I'M FROM THE "SHOW ME STATE" SHOW ME

The nice thing is , if you're not happy with it , just switch back to the B1.
    You may have to improvise the X height somewhat though as I guess optimum is different on each unit.

I've got a two prop unit on a St T , but it's a much different hull and besides , it's a Volvo .
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Doesn't the B III have a longer leg for use on a cruiser?

Except for a longer anti ventilation plate , and two propshafts ..duuh , the BIII is otherwise the same visually as a BI
    ... At least mine is ....(just to cover my azz...)

The BII has a bigger gear case as it has a different set of props made just for it ..
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Thread Information