Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MSD Blaster Coil Blew Up??

MSD Blaster Coil Blew Up??

After running around for a bit (not hard) we went for an anchor and swim. About an hour later I started the boat to make sure it would start after running my radio. It took a few but it did start.

Later I tried again but no luck.

I then raised the hatch to find the TOP OF THE COIL separated from the body. It was sort of half way popped off.

What happened? Should I be worried and try to figure the cause or just replace and cross my fingers?

BTW, this happened on 8-8-10. My tow boat us expired on 7-31-10. I would like to publicly thank fellow board member for
    1. Answering his phone
    2. Splashing his 16 fueling it and then towing me back to the ramp. ( He was a wounded warrior from the night before )

BLAKE SULLIVAN is the man. getting towed in by one of the nicest 16's around took some of the sting out!
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

You might need to run a ballast resistor with the setup. I have never heard of one developing enough heat to blow. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

I've seen coils get hot and explode if the key is left on and power flowing to the coil. (on cars)
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I did but then it dropped to low. We measured it without the resistor and was around 10. Was thinking the merc harness had some type of internal resistor.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I've seen coils get hot and explode if the key is left on and power flowing to the coil. (on cars)
    Carl you might have it. I remember the jackass mech saying something about a start assist off the solenoid. I will check it.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

All a coil is is a winding of wire. There is very little that could possibly go wrong with them. Some you have to mount laying down, that's to keep the wires in oil. Others don't have oil and you can mount them in any position.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl C View Post
    I've seen batteries go dead from leaving the key on, but that was way back when we had points. The points would have to be in the closed position for the battery to go dead. I have never seen one blow up because the key is on. That's just too likely to happen and the car engineers should know that.

Any time it was a good reason to go out in the boat plus I was being a Huge BAby with my monster hangover .

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    I've seen batteries go dead from leaving the key on, but that was way back when we had points. The points would have to be in the closed position for the battery to go dead. I have never seen one blow up because the key is on. That's just too likely to happen and the car engineers should know that.
    So why would one get so hot and lift the cap? (there was oil sprayed around it) I am assuming it came from the coil.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

if its sitting on top of the intake and that section usually gets really hot it will boil the oil in the coil..i dont like the msd coils,too many problems with them,jay do yourself a favor and get a mallory pro master coil..Its been on my x18 for over 25 years and it still kicks a$$..
    here is the one im using,i have it mounted to the bell housing on the back of the engine away from the heat..http://www.malloryperformance.com/Pr...minselection=4

either you left the key on, or the coil is wired hot all the time with the key off...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

To my knowledge all coils should have oil in them, keeps the windings from overheating and shorting out under the intense heat. If the key is left on for an extended period of time i.e. listening to the radio then the coil will get super hot and cause it to pop. The ones I've seen do that were on cars which is the same system of 12 volts going through the coil. Always seen the side of the coil blow out never seen the top blow off! A suggestion if I may? Switch your stereo to a switched circuit off 12 volts constant like nav. lights and I won't happen again, just may run your battery down!
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

It sounds like you had power going to the coil while listening to the stereo to develop enough heat to blow the coil. I had a MSD coil let go on my Eliminator once. I figured it might have been the vibration from the blower that took out the primary or secondary windings inside the coil so I bought one of these epoxy filled MSD coils for high vibration - end of problem - . Bill

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD/121/8222/10002/-1?CT=999

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

It shouldn't have power running to it unless the pick up was in a closed position which is highly unlikely and to be that way more than once the chances are astronomical. It must be the coil is mounted by something hot.

Ignition coils

Ignition coil on internal combustion engine in really a step-up transformer. The slang term "coil" comes from the fact that it is made of two windings of copper wire around a soft iron core. the low voltage coil is energized and when it is turned off by ignition points or transistor the field collapse of the primary 12 volt winding induces a 25,000 - 30,000 volt spike in the secondary winding which leads to the spark plug.

Coils can be oil filled - older ones had PCB laden transformer oil - also they could be epoxy filled. Most had a ballast resistor which cut the current to the coil as it heated up. This reduced the likely overheating of the coil. Some coils have an internal resistor and do not need the external.

Advent of modern electronics has enabled a number of tricks to the old system which was first designed for the 1930's era Cadillac and was very state of the art at that time. Some of these tricks are feeding a higher primary voltage than 12 volts - sometimes up to 400 volts. Also multiple primary pulses fire the coil several times for each power stroke. etc.

Barry - Cuda - when I get you in my emergency room I am going to cut your gizzard out - and you won't be laughing soon!
    Dr. d

Thread Information