Thread: Tach issue

Tach issue

Hey all-on the new to me Donzi 18 I just got the tach only goes to 1000 RPM and wont go higher. It is fairly accurate below the 1000 (checked with my tune up kit) but stops at 1000. Any ideas whats wrong? Thanks

Check your grounds and connections.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

What brand tach AND year is it..?
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

VDO tach, DOA, new Faria unit on order. I pulled the tach, hooked my tune up unit to the wires to make sure unit was getting power and pulse from coil. Tune up unit worked fine. Tried to make tach go past 1000 by just jerking it, stopped right at 1000, something not right inside.

Quote Originally Posted by glenncal1 View Post
    VDO tach, DOA, new Faria unit on order. I pulled the tach, hooked my tune up unit to the wires to make sure unit was getting power and pulse from coil. Tune up unit worked fine. Tried to make tach go past 1000 by just jerking it, stopped right at 1000, something not right inside.
    When I first got my Minx, the boat was 11 years old. All the instruments were FARIA..installed by Donzi. (They pronounce it Fa-Ree-A) The second year I had the boat the tach started to act up and would bounce around and stick at certain places.

I looked around, West Marine, etc and could find nothing that came close to looking like the Faria so I thought I'd get on the phone and call Faria just for the hell of it. They were in Connecticut.

I started to tell them my story and even before I finished, the guy says: "Send the old tach back to us with a check for $17.95 and we will either fix it or replace it, and send it back to you". I reminded them the Tach was now 12 YEARS OLD. The guy repeated word for word: "Send the old tach back to us with a check for $17.95 and we will either fix it or replace it, and send it back to you". At that time a new tach from anyone would have been over $100.

I did as I was instructed and less than two weeks later a Brand NEW Tach arrived. The dial and bezel style were identical to the old tach and matched the old remaining instruments.

This kind of service is hard to find.

BTW: That $17.95 Also covered shipping and handling.
    Avatar: RELIANCE (1903) The Largest single masted sailing yacht ever built (Until 2004)...with over 16,000 square feet of sail. Successful Americas Cup Defender.

Thread Information