Thread: Performer Boat Co.

Performer Boat Co.

Hi Michael,

I wounder if you could shed some light about this boat I own.
    What I do know is that it was built in 1976 by the Performer Boat Co at 4600 SW 44th Street Fortlauderdale FL.
    It is approxamatly 28' long and 9'8" wide. Has twin 300HP Crusader engines which are not original, judgeing by their latter manifacture dates and also that rear engine covers have been cut in half to allow for motor height. Also has Volvo stern drives which appear to be what it was built with as no alterations in hull could be seen during recent refit.
    I was told differing stories that either your dad designed this for Performer or even that he owned the company at some time?. I have also been told that Bill Elswick owned the company who was a offshore and NASCAR racer?
    The hull appears to resemble very closly a Donzi 28 of the mid 60's era.
    I would appreciate any information on its history as it is a great boat full of character, right down to the original yellow fur cabin lining.

This is interesting Brownie would know.

This thread touches upon Performers.......

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ight=performer

Cool boat. BlownCrewCab on the board could probably explain a lot about them.

'87 18 / 350 Mag / Alpha
    http://www.wallenpaupack.com/about.htm

Performer info

(Brownies Son Here) My Boss (Now) and his Brother owned Performer. (Along with Sea Bird & Fed Co) I'll show him this Pic and see what he knows.
    Last edited by BlownCrewCab; 12-11-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: none
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

I Don't know Elswicks part , But I do Know they Took the 38' cig and stretched it to be the 40+ That elswick and others used. The one with the raised gunnel in the rear.

I Just showed it to him and questioned him about it. He says Thats exactly a 28' Donzi, In the begining he bought the Molds from Don. Then As time went on they Modified it to be a 29 (seabird) then a 32'(performer)
    Last edited by BlownCrewCab; 12-11-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: add a y

We've got one of them out here too..
    Same colour combo but it's a straight inboard setup.

A big hull in real life !
    Just because something's old doesn't mean you throw it away !

Perhaps it is just the stripe and the cabin lights, but from the rubrail down that hull looks very much like the Magnum 40 to me.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

Thanks guys for the information.
    Here are some more pictures, it has a lot of teak, and comparing it to the 1968 Donzi 28 picture I got it appears the wind shield is flat glass, but also higher on mine. It also looks as if side decking is wider around the cockpit?
    Does anyone know of any literature or drawings that are available for this boat?

On a diffrent note any advise on prop selection. I have 16ELLIS21L Nibral props as in picture. Problem is getting on plan you need to be carful with throttle possition about 3000 rpm, as they seem to cavitate or ventilate. Once on plan props bite and revs drop about 600 rpm. Then again once getting close to 4000 rpm props start to break free again. Tried diffrent trim tab settings and also used the three diffrent drive tilt positions available. 300hp 5.7 Crusaders with 1.61:1 ratio 280 Volvo drives are installed. Anyone know the weight of this boat, previous owner claimed it to be about 11,000lbs on the water.

28' Performer/Donzi

We have a boat nearly identical to this. We are trying to sell it and have varying explanations as to what manufacturer this boat is. We originally thought it was a Donzi, then were told no it is a Performer. Can anyone help us figure out what this boat it?! It is a 28' with twin 454 merc cruisers. Cabin looks identical to yours with lots of teak.
    We would really appreciate any help. Thank you!

Ray

From the pictures I would say it is the same as mine and manifactured by performer. You should be able to tell from the Hull identification number "HIN#" moulded into hull. Mine is located under rub rail at the stern on the right side. You have to look up under rub rail. If its prefix is PER then it is a Performer.

Thread Information