Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 22 classic with 502 procharger prop ?

22 classic with 502 procharger prop ?

I recently purchased a 1996 22 classic with a 502 procharger, however I think I need to change the pitch of the prop. Current prop is a Bravo 4 Blade with a 32 pitch. I'm currenlty able to run it to 4100RPM with a top speed of 75mph. The prop has a couple of small nick's in it so I sure I'm loosing a couple of 100's. I have checked the timing and fuel pressure both are within spec with this set up. I'm thinking of going down to a 30 or 29. Any comments will be appreciated.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by tylogans 22 View Post
    I recently purchased a 1996 22 classic with a 502 procharger, however I think I need to change the pitch of the prop. Current prop is a Bravo 4 Blade with a 32 pitch. I'm currenlty able to run it to 4100RPM with a top speed of 75mph. The prop has a couple of small nick's in it so I sure I'm loosing a couple of 100's. I have checked the timing and fuel pressure both are within spec with this set up. I'm thinking of going down to a 30 or 29. Any comments will be appreciated.

i think your motor is hurt! or its not fireing on all 8 cylinders..do a compression test first before you spend money on other props.with that motor stock will run 75 mph but not with a 32 propeller..Carl c on here has a 525 efi non procharger and he is running a 30 p bravo 1..unless you have a 1.36 ratio drive that that would make up for the bigger prop your running..
    post more specs on your boat,booste pressure,drive ratio, Shorty drive? etc..

pics would help also..

22 classic progcharger 502 prop?

Currently running 3-5lbs of boost, Bravo outdrive, compression is good. This weekend were going to put the stock 3 blade on and see what happens. I'm sure it will get very loose but I'm curious to see the difference in RPM's. Timing is set at 30 degree's, I confirmed with procharger and they stated timing must be between 29-32.

I have the 502 procharged and I use a 28 and 29 depending. mine is a carb version. my boatdoes not like Bravo 1props.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

I am with Fixx. Something does not sounds right.

A Procharged 502 should pull to around 5,100 before it runs out of beans. It should be running north of 600 hp. I will try to dig up some dyno sheets.

You should try a smaller 3 blade though. What may be happening is that the big 4 blade is loading up the boost early due to torque requirements. Then the boost reference regulator is jacking up the fuel pressure causing it to load up on fuel at lower RPM's.

If you are running a stock X, the 3 blade may not be as loose as you think.

For comparison purposes, Grizz here is running a smaller prop and pushing over 800hp.

I run a 32" Bravo I. I have a step hull, more weight and a higher x dim so it is kind of apples to oranges. I can tell you that it takes some pretty big power to swing one.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

Quote Originally Posted by BigGrizzly View Post
    I have the 502 procharged and I use a 28 and 29 depending. mine is a carb version. my boatdoes not like Bravo 1props.
    Thanks for the information. Also if it doesnt like bravo what type of prop are you running?

My two favorites is the TXP 3 blade and the new OXP 4 bade. Problem is in some boats the OXP likes to have a load of people on board at least with a shorty. There has not been a holelot of testing on Donzis with the OS1. I am the first. However If I had your boat I would go with the TXP. I have been selling props for a long time and I really like the TXP.
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

My two favorites is the TXP 3 blade and the new OXP 4 bade. Problem is in some boats the OXP likes to have a load of people on board at least with a shorty. There has not been a holelot of testing on Donzis with the OS1. I am the first. However If I had your boat I would go with the TXP. I have been selling props for a long time and I really like the TXP.
    Thanks for the info. How much for the txp? Also what pitch would u recommend?

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

Quote Originally Posted by tylogans 22 View Post
    Thanks for the info. How much for the txp? Also what pitch would u recommend?

run the three blade at max rpm's then take it fron their..

Hi Big Grizzly. This year with the 540 i run 81.2 mph at close to 5600rpm with the Turbo fusion 27" 4 blade . Then i took you on the words and tried the TXP 29" 3 blade . Rpm down to 5100 speed up to 83.2mph . What´s your opinion about the fusion ?? gonna try a 28 or 29 of them.Since the grip out of the water is superior compared to the TXP. This forum is so great for a swede like me just getting started with the Classic 22

A lot depends on the drive and boat.. The fusion is great for shortys that need the grip to get on plane. The TXP is faster usually But real loose up top. There have been many who have beaten labbed Bravos with TXP on this board. Me I do not like labbing. The last real Texan loves the fusion but the TXp is 2 mph faster up top but is really loose in adverse conditions at WFO. Truth is I have three favotits a special Tutbo 1 which is a one off that I gave to my best friend the TXP and the NEW OXP, with the Fusion really close at hand. I Have gotten to the point that extra MPH does not matter to me.
    I have a question for you. Are Volvo speed rails still available where you are, i would like a set.

TY I will get back to you by PM. or you can call me at 706-216-8194

A lot depends on the drive and boat.. The fusion is great for shortys that need the grip to get on plane. The TXP is faster usually But real loose up top. There have been many who have beaten labbed Bravos with TXP on this board. Me I do not like labbing. The last real Texan loves the fusion but the TXp is 2 mph faster up top but is really loose in adverse conditions at WFO. Truth is I have three favotits a special Tutbo 1 which is a one off that I gave to my best friend the TXP and the NEW OXP, with the Fusion really close at hand. I Have gotten to the point that extra MPH does not matter to me.
    I have a question for you. Are Volvo speed rails still available where you are, i would like a set.
    Guess they are . My friend ´s been working at volvo since -81 i can ask him. What year and model are you looking for??

the speed rails are an accessory. I want the ones for a 22 foot boat.

FWIW, one more data point-

My '01 22 with a 502, stock power other than SM exhaust and an M3 procharger, would spin one of Griz's 28 TXP 3-blades right into the rev limiter at about 82 gps. I could clearly carry more prop, and plan to work with Griz again when the time comes to continue this project.
    Don
    '01 22 Classic, 502/B1
    And a bunch of other stuff

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Thread Information