Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Z33 Crossbow performance

Z33 Crossbow performance

Hello, I am new to this site and wanted to see what you guys think.
    I bought a 1990 Z33 Crossbow this spring, it has 454 mags (365hp) with Bravo 1s @1.5:1 and 23p Mirage props. The boat only has 300 hrs on it and it’s in great shape. The motors feel very solid.
    I wanted to get your opinions on the performance. Currently with the 23p props I can get 4900 rpms trimmed up, at a speed of 62 MPH (slip of .1285) on a Lowrance GPS. I wanted to try a bigger propeller so I got a set of 25p Mirages, my RPMs went down to 4550 @ at speed of 62.2. (slip of .1338) It would be nice to turn the bigger props however the 454s just don’t have the power to turn them. I thing a slip of 12-13% is good for this boat after all it has a wide beam.
    Anyone else running a setup like this? What’s your setup, speed, slip, etc.

Donzigo has had a similar boat for many years. His is immaculate, and neverr lacks for anything.
    His also had very similar performance until he repowered it w/new 496's and new Bravo I's.
    We're talking about some pretty serrious $$$$ here and it payed off w/speeds in the low 70's.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Donzigo has had a similar boat for many years. His is immaculate, and neverr lacks for anything.
    His also had very similar performance until he repowered it w/new 496's and new Bravo I's.
    We're talking about some pretty serrious $$$$ here and it payed off w/speeds in the low 70's.
    Thanks for the reply, I have been reading a lot of the posts here, and at other sites. I did read some of his, and the #s after the repower. Its nice to see there are some people here than can tell the truth. There are some guys here that have an inflated sense of reality, “my boat does 74 with 454s” yea right! If you to the math you come up with a negative slip. Who do they think there kidding? I believe the low 70s # with the 496s. I just ran into (last night) one other person on the lake with the same set up, and his #s are the same as mine. I wanted to get an idea of the different slip factors for different Crossbows. It seems that most of them are around 13%. The one beauty of the internet is there are too many people out there that know what reality is, and they can put the BSers in there place.

Anyone have any experience with 4 blades? I'm thinking I might need a 22p 4 blade.

Quote Originally Posted by MinkeeDeez View Post
    Anyone have any experience with 4 blades? I'm thinking I might need a 22p 4 blade.
    4 blades are generally used for new generation hulls with more aggressive x-dimensions. If you run them with a lower X, they usually run slower.

If you can get your hands on a set, they are always worth a try though.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

If you get to the point where you want some 22P Hydromotive QIVs, just let me know. I have a near perfect set of L and R with the 1" shaft for TRS or Bravo 1 that I would sell for $480 (includes shipping) delivered to anywhere in the continental US. The Hydromotives work very well on my 36' Cigarette and 23' Eliminator Daytona. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    If you get to the point where you want some 22P Hydromotive QIVs, just let me know. I have a near perfect set of L and R with the 1" shaft for TRS or Bravo 1 that I would sell for $480 (includes shipping) delivered to anywhere in the continental US. The Hydromotives work very well on my 36' Cigarette and 23' Eliminator Daytona. Bill
    I will keep that in mind, but for now I going to stay with the the 23s.

I will keep that in mind, but for now I going to stay with the the 23s.
    The 22P four blade Hydromotives are like the 3 blade 23P in terms of effective pitch since they bite more water. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

So I have been doing some research on this boat, a few people have told me that this hull is a very heavy and thick glass hull, and not a very fast one at that. They say it takes a lot of power to get this boat moving, (so I have found out) This is my first Donzi and so far I’m not that thrilled with this boat, for a 33’ there is not much room in it, and it’s on the slow side. I had an older 33 Scarab which had more room in it and was faster. I feel like I have taken a step backwards.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

So I have been doing some research on this boat, a few people have told me that this hull is a very heavy and thick glass hull, and not a very fast one at that. They say it takes a lot of power to get this boat moving, (so I have found out) This is my first Donzi and so far I’m not that thrilled with this boat, for a 33’ there is not much room in it, and it’s on the slow side. I had an older 33 Scarab which had more room in it and was faster. I feel like I have taken a step backwards.

Alot of people like the z33, that hull is a wave crusher,i would trade the weight for hp any day..Sounds like you need to go spend a 100 k on a faster boat if your not happy with it..

Have you checked the boat out? check drive alignment? do a cylinder leak down? made sure that the engines are running properly? did you check for rotted stringers or possibly the boat was uncovered for years and the boat is waterlogged?

Donzi go is the guy you need to talk to. He has a 33 with a pair of 496 ho's and loves his boat and it will crack into the 70's any day of the week.

I think your expecting to much for what you have..

BTW we need to see pictures of this gem..please post them...

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    Alot of people like the z33, that hull is a wave crusher,i would trade the weight for hp any day..Sounds like you need to go spend a 100 k on a faster boat if your not happy with it..

Have you checked the boat out? check drive alignment? do a cylinder leak down? made sure that the engines are running properly? did you check for rotted stringers or possibly the boat was uncovered for years and the boat is waterlogged?

Donzi go is the guy you need to talk to. He has a 33 with a pair of 496 ho's and loves his boat and it will crack into the 70's any day of the week.

I think your expecting to much for what you have..

BTW we need to see pictures of this gem..please post them...
    The boat ckecked out in great condition, no rotten stuff, Only very minor moisture around the deck hatch, stringers all "sounded out" good, it was a good survey! Compression & Leak down were all good, OIL samples came back clean, no iron, or metalic traces. motors are sound! I will need to comfortable with the "seems like a smaller size and going 62" not going to spend the $ on a repower for an older boat!

Digger has probably one of the nicest 33's around w/502s. The boat performs very well and has won awards at various events.
    Another route to go is a little later 33' stepped hull. These boats will do very well everything else considered. The steps really pick it up.

There're a lot of offshore boats in the 33'-36' range that don't go w/o quite a bit of power. There's nothing exclusive about Donzi in that regard.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I didnt know anything about a boat other than I wanted one. My friend bought a Z-33 in very miss used shape. We dove in and rebuilt every thing from engines back. Still needs paint and interior. Anyway we got it to go 75 on GPS not knowing how to trim it out. Yes its heavy, yes he spent $$$$ doing it. But that boat rides so good. When im asked what is the difference in it and the other named boats of the same size. I tell them its like a SL550 VS Z06. The Z06 may go 3 to 5 mph faster top speed but the SL550 is going to do it more comfortably and you want spill you drink doing it.
    JUST A MISSISSIPPI BOY
    88 CROSSBOW COMING SOON
    67 RS/SS BLOWN 454
    88 IROC TURBO BUICK V6
    01 AMG SLK SUPERCHARGED V6 sold
    08 CHEVY 2500 TURBO DIESEL
    10 AMG C 6.3 450HP
    Can see pics of the Z33 project at aaperformance.org

Ok, First thing I have to ask is where do you boat? I am on my second year with my 89 Z33 and love it. Yes, its not fast enough, but then again is it ever fast enough? You can spend a hell of a lot of money to go faster in the Z or you could spend a hell of a lot on another boat. Bottom line is value, enjoyment, and needs. I am on lake Erie and have no problem in 6 to 8 footers. Of course you cant go fast in that stuff, but not many can. I even ventured out of the break wall in 12 to 14 footers just to see what she would do (had fun, but not recommended) wish I had a video of that one. I guess what I am trying to say is that its a great riding hull with halfway decent speed for the money.

Give me a call and I will share all my Prop/engine changes with you if you would like.

Mike
    216-315-0125
    Global warming has been a issue since the end of the Ice Age

Love the pic in front of the stadium Mike!!! we were just there a couple months ago for the Browns/Bengals game. Well put too, How much money do ya wanna spend to go fast? Mike, did you have 540's or 454's put in yours? cant remember, but for the most part, she ran pretty well at AOTH......70ish range???
    2002 28ZX

Thread Information