Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: props/speed

props/speed

I am new to this world. Bought my 18 classic about 2 months ago and love it. I already know after reading forums a general consensus of thru hull exhaust so I will save that question. Basically my 2 questions are 1)what is the best prop for overall speed/fuel efficiency/control? I am running 21p 4 blade prop right now and it seems like top end it is rev'd out. GPS at 56mph 2) i noticed after finally getting comfortable with the sheer performance of boat pretty much after 3/4 throttle it feels actually slower as if it is bogging or almost just over spinning if that makes sense.
    I have read through alot of posts for last week but didnt really find my answers. Thank you

What engine do you have? 56 sounds way low regardless.
    Dan

How many RPM?
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

I have a 5.7 FI Chevy vortec. Its a nice motor. Like I said its usually 4200-4300 and 3/4 throttle. When i have gone full it seems to rev up but not do much more almost like it is overspinning. But I usually have my wife wit me and the St Johns river is kinda ripply. So maybe I need to go out without the wife and with a little more testosterone and see what it can do. It is def a different world at 55 in the 18 and even 85 in the car. But any suggestions will be appreciated. I guess I will go out on a flat day this week and trim it out a little more and hope for the best but i have been told a 3 blade 23p prop would be a difference on speed and rpms? Im very sure it will do more than 56, cause the motor is quite and it seems to have alot of hidden power just waiting.

as if it means anything the current prop measures 14" and is marked 48-825904A45-21P any recommendations on switching?

Cool

21P is too small for your boat, and on the St. Johns. I recommend a 23P Mirage Plus. That is what I used so effectively on my 18 on the St. Johns. You will be slower on a flat day. 6" ripples are the best. The late afternoon seabreeze will be a little rough once it fills in.e best

You didn't ask but,
    Best place to boat and eat is Whitey's Fish Camp on Doctors Lake. Second Best is Clark's Fish Camp on Julington Creek.
    Hooters: San Jose the water can be very shallow at their fingerpiers.
    Hooters: Downtown the Landing is a tough place to tie up when the current is running.
    OutBack Crabshack - long dock, sky high prices, mediocre food
    Corkey Bells - Palatka - short dock but deep both sides. Good food and fair prices. Nice run from Jax area.

Mark
    Florida SEADOG
    DONZI - You meet the nicest people.
    2006 22ZX 350 Mag MPi/Bravo One Donzi Quixote
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44360

Well thx man. Actually was out at whiteys and black creek last weekend. I am familiar with all of those places and have aleady been to aloof them with exception of palatka. I was actually looking at a couple 23p mirages on craigs list. Will I really lose top end? Well I'm quite content at 60mph just trying not to have it reved out. But it looks like 23 is what alot are running with a stock mild motor

you need a23 Turbo 1
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

And to correct myself on ripples. I guess I mean when you get to the deeper parts that have more of wave that tends to give you a little launch feeling under your a$$. The wife really gives me a go to he'll look as she holds on for dear life lol

Thx Grizz. I tried to send u a message seein that every one seems to respect and take your advice. Should I search craigslist or you have connections? Thx

Cool

Grizzly IS the connection for Turbo props. He can hook you up directly.

Mark
    Florida SEADOG
    DONZI - You meet the nicest people.
    2006 22ZX 350 Mag MPi/Bravo One Donzi Quixote
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44360

You have mail
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGrizzly View Post
    you need a23 Turbo 1
    +1, My X-18 loves that prop. Ask anyone that drove it last weekend
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

I think we need to know the RPMs at WOT with the current prop and the gear ratio of the drive in addition to current speed at WOT.

Well today till my garmin took battery dump. WOT 4500 rpm 58gps
    Like I said 4 blade 21 pitch trophy prop. Stock alpa 1 outdrive. not sure of gearing. Actually a little dissapointed even though my bud has a 25 ft deckbout with a 454 and volvo dupprop he said when i passed him he was doing 52 at 4000 rpm.

Thread Information