Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Ply or Coosa?

Thanks Bob......Hard to believe it's a year already since I bought her from you. lots of work to do yet, don't expect to splash her until the 2012 season.

George,

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm trying to keep each little project small & then moving on .......If I were to think of the whole project before me - sheeeezzze....it'll get scary real quick!!.......I'll shoot some pics of the outside soon.
    A question for ya concerning the re-attachment of the stringers to the transom?........Should the (stringers) be attached before any laminant is applied? .......I was going to laminate a course of 1708 on the transom first before attaching the stringers back to the transom?......not sure if it makes any differance though.
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Scippy,

Looks good! Glad to see you making some headway. Is your deck off? If not what is your plan for installing the stringers, dont the main ouside ones attach to the big pads that support the cockpit floor? My secondary stringers run about 18" forward of the eng room bulkhead.

- Marshall
    Marshall,

The deck is not off..........All three stringers where cut-back on an angle 6" to 8" from the transom in order to make adaquate room for transom re-placement..........the pics weren't the best to see this.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    George,

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm trying to keep each little project small & then moving on .......If I where to think of the whole project ahead of me, sheeeezzze....it'll get scary real quick!!.......I'll shoot some pics of the outside soon.
    A question for ya concerning the re-attachment of the stringers to the transom?........Should the (stringers) be attached before any laminate applied? .......I was going to laminate a course of 1708 on the transom first before attaching the stringers back to the transom?......not sure if it makes any differance though.
    I think I would key the stringers into the transom wood. Be sure and seal the end grain of the stringers w/penetrating epoxy before installing them.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I think I would key the stringers into the transom wood. Be sure and seal the end grain of the stringers w/penetrating epoxy before installing them.
    George,

I keyed all the missing stringer pieces to the transom (wood to wood) sealed them and radiused all the corners. Was hoping to glass over transom & stringers, but the weather has been rainy and cool, so I'll wait for dryer weather before I start. I grinded back a 12 to 1 scarf where the new transom (core) fits back in to the previous cutout...... There were many layers of woven roving grinded back to transition the scarf at the joints and I'm just wondering if I should replace back with the same (WR) in adition to some 1708 ???................................Happy Easter & Holidays to everybody!
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Looks great!....it's nice to see the old Magnums getting restored correctly.

1974 Magnum 27 Sport
    1970 Donzi 18 2+3

Pete, that looks great!
    I'd stick w/1708, as it's so much stronger than WR.
    Maybe consider building it up to the level of the existing glass, followed by adding a couple of courses over the new and old structure forward maybe 5'-6' or to a bulkhead.

Where are the motor mounts and what do they look like?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Sciipy,

I would say the tabbing around my stringers/bulkheads etc. is 6-8".
    Maby glass in a second bilge pump pad as well? Nice to have 2...

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Pete, that looks great!
    I'd stick w/1708, as it's so much stronger than WR.
    Maybe consider building it up to the level of the existing glass, followed by adding a couple of courses over the new and old structure forward maybe 5'-6' or to a bulkhead.

Where are the motor mounts and what do they look like?
    George,

I tried my hand at WR just to see how it would be to work with and it's not easy at all. The template piece for the transom I needed was 35"x72"....this thing unraveled like a ball of twine and lost it's shape very easily......1708 is what I'll use hear on out..........they must of been pretty good back then to have solely used only WR.

The only sign of motor mounts now are the cutout holes through the stringers -(no hardware) there just back of the new splices (on the 3 stringers) just fitted in to the new transom........I'm pretty messy, so... it helps to tape down some paper before the Mat and 2 courses of 1708 go on.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Sciipy,

I would say the tabbing around my stringers/bulkheads etc. is 6-8".
    Maby glass in a second bilge pump pad as well? Nice to have 2...

- Marshall
    Marshall,

That's a great idea to add a second pump pad.....will do!
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Few more courses of 1708 on the stringers and the new transom will be completed...next, I'll be glassing the deck to the hull just within the engine bay area (On this boat, I never felt a screwed & caulked deck was secure enough & plan to glass the whole deck down around the inside perimeter eventually) ..........then on to fabricating a new engine hatch.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

George,

I tried my hand at WR just to see how it would be to work with and it's not easy at all. The template piece for the transom I needed was 35"x72"....this thing unraveled like a ball of twine and lost it's shape very easily......1708 is what I'll use hear on out..........they must of been pretty good back then to have solely used only WR.

The only sign of motor mounts now are the cutout holes through the stringers -(no hardware) there just back of the new splices (on the 3 stringers) just fitted in to the new transom........I'm pretty messy, so... it helps to tape down some paper before the Mat and 2 courses of 1708 go on.
    Pete, I think 1708 is the way to go, but it takes more courses.
    However, Mertons offers a 38 OZ WR stitchmnat that solves all these problems. I used some in the bottom of the TR. Not expensive either at $7.00/yd.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Scippy seeing that you are using Vinyl / Poly i would stick with the 1708 which is more of a user friendly fabric and Scippy, after looking at your pics your motor stringers look like 5/8 Ply ?

Few more courses of 1708 on the stringers and the new transom will be completed...next, I'll be glassing the deck to the hull just within the engine bay area (On this boat, I never felt a screwed & caulked deck was secure enough & plan to glass the whole deck down around the inside perimeter eventually) ..........then on to fabricating a new engine hatch.
    Looking good Skippy. I never thought about glassing the deck joint, sounds interesting. I had to put bigger screws (and more of them in a couple spots) in many of the ones I replaced.

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Scippy - Pete , after reading this again - bonding the hull to the deck is a very good idea which makes a hull and deck more bullet proof (structural) kinda like a rock .

Pete, I think 1708 is the way to go, but it takes more courses.
    George,

I plan on using an additional 3 courses of 1708 making it 6 courses total to bring up the thickness of the original stringers......what you see in the picture is only halfway there at 3 courses.
    A question?....my original engine bay stringers were 1/2" core plywood with CSM & WR totaling atleast 1" of glass ........I'm wondering if 1708 would be just as strong with half the thickness applied?
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information