Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Ply or Coosa?

[QUOTE=scippy;573175][quote=gcarter;573169]
    Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post

George, Thanks for taking me through it step by step, it's very clear now. Tomorrow or Monday I'll determine just how high the rot extends upward in the transom, hopefully I dodged a bullet.
    Now to this other matter of burning a sample piece of (transom hull) fiberglass to determine the actual layup schedule?............I'm "almost" there on the visual end, but need a little help. Could
    you take me through it one time..................................Thanks
    George is awesome. He helped guide me through my engine room reinforcement project which I would have completely mucked up without his help! He knows his shi+!
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I agree Carl, He teaches a great shop class! .......The little extra side bar stuff on layup determination is a nice tibit of information. CSI got nothing on George..LOL
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Cut a pieces from inside the transom around the lower TRS cutouts to see how the core plywood looked. In the portside cutout, you can see where the wood color almost darkens to black compared to the starboard side cutout. Is this the early stage of rot? - because it really doesn't break up in your hand yet.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Most boats wooden parts will get wet during their lifetime, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do w/rot. I remember my Minx stringers were wet, but solid, and also were dark. I let it dry for several weeks and they were very solid. But you do have to uncover the suspect areas to let them dry.
    I wouldn't worry about what you see in those pictures.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I would not worrie either

like a home. They say don't refinance if you don't expect to live in the house for less that 5 years. IF YOU EXPECT TO LIVE THERE FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS GO AHEAD AND REFI!!
    If you expect to own your DONZI for less than 5 years then by all meand let it dry out and button up and go boating. BUT, IF YOU EXPECT TO OWN YOUR BOAT FOR A LONG TIME AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO OPEN IT UP AGAIN THEN DO IT RIGHT WITH FOAM!
    Just my take, but what do I know? Just food for thought.
    When you sell it that dark wood will be in your mind. You will be thinking (wonder if it is still black and if it has started to ROT OUT) but who cares, I am selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by bertsboat View Post
    like a home. They say don't refinance if you don't expect to live in the house for less that 5 years. IF YOU EXPECT TO LIVE THERE FOR MORE THAN 5 YEARS GO AHEAD AND REFI!!
    If you expect to own your DONZI for less than 5 years then by all meand let it dry out and button up and go boating. BUT, IF YOU EXPECT TO OWN YOUR BOAT FOR A LONG TIME AND YOU DO NOT WANT TO OPEN IT UP AGAIN THEN DO IT RIGHT WITH FOAM!
    When you sell it that dark wood will be in your mind. You will be thinking (wonder if it is still black and if it has started to ROT OUT) but who cares, I am selling it.
    I don't think that line of thinking will go over well....
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

As I've said many times before, seal all the end grain w/a thin penetrating epoxy like System Three Clear Coat and it will never absorb water again.
    You can trust me on that.
    Don't put the epoxy where you're going to layup anything w/ester resins, but in any and all cut outs, holes, etc.

http://www.systemthree.com/store/pc/Clear-Coat-c14.htm

Also, everything you might have ever wanted to know about epoxy is available in their "Epoxy Book".
    It's the best, most readable, publication on epoxy I've seen.

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrar...literature.asp
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

The main problem with this statement is that if Scippy replaces his rotted wet wood in his "Donzi" he will be working on someone else's boat and they might get pissed.

Bert, are you a foam salesman? I can appreciate your opinion as much as the next guy but why do I always feel like you are the only one that knows anything about boat building? Although I am no expert and have never claimed to be one, I do consult with them and there are a few on this board, as well, who offer opinions in a manner that is not condescending even to us novices. Just curious, what do you know?
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

George
    Since I use vynlester everywhere when I glass I cover all the wood holes and cutouts with that In that case you are just saying to make sure there is no exposed wood correct. It seems like part of the problem with a lot of these boatsback then is that they cut or drilled holes and didnt seal them at all.
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

P, your solution is a good second best, and I'm sure that it works just fine.

The difference is, ester resins and wood have a problem w/adhesion that epoxy doesn't have.
    Epoxy, because of its formulation, makes the best adhesive for wood there is, in fact, it's better than the old resoursenol glues.
    But most importantly, the clear coat is extremely thin and penetrates easier and deeper than other material I've seen. I would compare it to 10W oil for viscosity. It has a long shelf life, at least over a year. What I do for holes is to buy PVC glue brushes, you know-the kind that screws onto the glue cans. Then when I'm sealing holes (I do as many as I can at once), I use a brush only once...they're cheap. Also they come in several sizes, from a 1/2" fur ball to pretty large diameter fur balls.

But most importantly, coat that wood w/something!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Most boats wooden parts will get wet during their lifetime, but doesn't necessarily have anything to do w/rot. I remember my Minx stringers were wet, but solid, and also were dark. I let it dry for several weeks and they were very solid. But you do have to uncover the suspect areas to let them dry.
    I wouldn't worry about what you see in those pictures.
    George, I'm going to open up the lower area of my transom from everything south of where the wood starts to get darker straight down to the bottom of the drain hole area where the wood was completely rotten. There didn't seem to be any type of protection thru the drain hole and probabely wicking moisture up to the lower TRS cutout's shown in the pics. I'm going to use your suggestion of squaring off and enlarge the TRS cutouts from the top tiller area square down to the bottom. I'll scarf the hole 12:1 then do the masonite form from the outside. I like your idea of using the coosa board or some simular composite for the core in the area of the drain hole plug. shouldn't there be some kind of "sleave" for the thru hole in the drain?.........I remember you making something for your TR and using a tool to flute the ends.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Yes, I bought a brass sleeve, about 6" long (just to be sure), and a set of Moeller flanging dies.
    Take a look;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=50476&page=43

When you're ready and have a tube to install, send me a PM w/your address and I'll send it to you. It takes about 5 minutes.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Bert, It's a stretch, but I get your analogy......in any case, what's more true is, Restoring my Mag will be the sole reason for a Refi...... sheeeeeese! - No wonder my wife hates that I retired. LOL...
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    Yes, I bought a brass sleeve, about 6" long (just to be sure), and a set of Moeller flanging dies.
    Take a look;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...=50476&page=43

When you're ready and have a tube to install, send me a PM w/your address and I'll send it to you. It takes about 5 minutes.
    George, I knew you did someting like that.........That's really cool! .......Thanks, I wil get intouch.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Cheekz View Post
    The main problem with this statement is that if Scippy replaces his rotted wet wood in his "Donzi" he will be working on someone else's boat and they might get pissed.
    Parnell
    P, Ya know what really pisses me off now? ..I spent a good amount of $$ a few years back on a restoration, totally hands off on my part. Having done that, this here Mag project will no doubt be much much slower, but much much more gratifying when she's done .............I figure 3 years though.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Thread Information