Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Ply or Coosa?

"Yea Baby" !!!......Monkey fur !!!.....Austin Powers style shagging carpet!!.....I like it Arturo!

Poured some foam today.....one 16LB kit just enough for one tank....SNAP!, CRACKLE!, POP!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

pete , i always love working with foammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and aint that ~ some wild $hit to work with ?

Well done on the foam Pete!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Second tank in and foamed in place..........next, build the bulkhead wall and cabin sole.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Pete,
    The tanks look great. But I'm still a little confused about the dementions. You said before that the capacity was 65+ gal and it appears that there is the same 10" or so space in front of the tank to the forward bulkhead. My tanks (50gal) start at the same forward position and come aft all the way to the helm bulkhead. You said you extended 5" forward and aft, so is your helm going to be further aft? Just wondering...
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Marshall,

If you have the same 74" from inside cabin bulkhead to foward bulkhead then you to
    can fit a 65 gal. (65") tank........Also, That small space foward of the tank is not 10"
    more like 5"
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Test fitted the 2 cabin sole pieces over the fuel tanks...2 more smaller pieces
    (port & stb.)yet to scribe. I'll tie it all together with the new bulkhead aft.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Not much done recently, but the sport resto (albeit faint) still has a heartbeat..........The cabin sole layout is finally done
    soon a bulkhead wall infront of it ...........Great way to escape the woe's of the world?.. find asylum in a good boat resto.
    Can't believe I used to pay someone to do this stuff for me.

DSCF0037.JPGDSCF0032.JPG
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Looks great. Yep, it can be healthy therapy - Nothing like some projects to keep your sanity - a sort of reality maintenance for me. Plus you are creating something from almost nothing. Art, skill, creativity, frustration release, and fulfilling a dream all rolled into one. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Looks nice Pete. Did you say in an earlier post that you would tie in the floor to the helm bulkhead? I would tie in the rear tank bulkhead to the helm one, and certainly try to glass the top of the helm bulkhead to the deck as this has shown to be a weak point in the hull. You might have to get access to the tanks again (hopefully not) so I wouldn't glass in the floor. Just my 2c.

I took my 22 out yesterday for the novelty of boating in December. Not bad, calm and 60*. Still time if you want to come and get that trailer.

- Marshall

Bill,
    you nailed it!!!......I used to stand by and wait for picture updates as the 18 was being restored. The only
    sgnificant contribution I made was wrtting checks........Now, I can't wait to crawl in, over, and under things
    to be 100% involved. We share somethings in commom, certainly not the number of boats nor the values
    in them, but certainly the therapy derived is a "high" not found in past places... "higher (boating) power to ya!

Marshall,
    If you notice the cockpit sole is now 6" lower than it used to be (sounds crazy, but I'll be stepping up into the cabin)
    just didn't feel comfortable with the high standing feeling. So, the bulkhead will have disproportionate levels to it.
    Tieing everything in correctly is crucuel, don't want a snapping piont........I'll need all the best imput here!!
    Betcha didn't think you could still be running the Donzi in Dec. cherish these days!.......Bought a truck just before
    Sandy, best asset possible. Getting the house done in Bklyn. would not have been possible if I didn't take matters
    in my hands.............after I recoil from all this stuff and if the trailer is still available I'll be coming to see you.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Pete,

I was just looking at your picture in post 263 and thinking.... You might want to talk to Bud about how they installed additional stringers on a starfire midway between the keel and existing stringer from the eng bulkhead to the cabin bulkhead. Just a thought while its open.

- Marshall

Marshall,

I have a few things to work out yet before the sole goes down, but I here ya about port & stb stringers off the keel.
    Both Parnell and I have talked about this, his one & only remaining sport (Plum Crazy) besides it being butchered
    to resemble a CC before he rescued it, he is also lowering the Cockpit sole by 6 ins..
    I posed the question of "when shaving the stringers down 6 ins. in order to lower the floor in the cockpit area
    how do you replace integrity back to the midship?......His idea (and now mine) is to box the finished sole into both
    Port and Stb gunnels and both bulkhead...I also like the idea stiffeners in the bilge, the kind that Bud displayed with
    that Starfire going to Italy.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Documenting every step of the way???....probabely abit exhausting to view I guess, but I'm no faster in the summer than I am here in
    the winter so I just keep plugging away and getting things done....albeit at a snails pace.

(1) Fitted a cross brace so the plywood pieces above the gas tanks (cabin sole) have a lip to rest upon. in front of that I will tie in the
    cabin/cockpit bulkhead, but first I needed a starting point, so the 2 upright pieces (port & stb. of the cabin entrance) are there for bracing
    but more importantly a plum level line to start with & measure out the tricky shape that goes under the deck & supports it as well as
    becoming the cabin/cockpit bulkhead.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Marshall,

I have a few things to work out yet before the sole goes down, but I here ya about port & stb stringers off the keel.
    Both Parnell and I have talked about this, his one & only remaining sport (Plum Crazy) besides it being butchered
    to resemble a CC before he rescued it, he is also lowering the Cockpit sole by 6 ins..
    I posed the question of "when shaving the stringers down 6 ins. in order to lower the floor in the cockpit area
    how do you replace integrity back to the midship?......His idea (and now mine) is to box the finished sole into both
    Port and Stb gunnels and both bulkhead...I also like the idea stiffeners in the bilge, the kind that Bud displayed with
    that Starfire going to Italy.
    Pete,

When I dropped the floor on the Plum Crazy Sport, I only dropped it in the front section where you would stand in the 3 man bolster, and not the entire floor, I then sandwiched the cut down center stringer between two pcs of 3/4" marine ply wood I then glassed a 3/4" Marine plywood box to both side stringers and the floor, so the floor was dropped from side stringer to side stringer
    When Roger M. did the drop floor on the Jolly Roger Sport he did a single box in front of each bolster.

Thank you
    Jim

Thread Information