Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Ply or Coosa?

Scippy, George is right about buying a good spray gun ,and most offer three different size tips which usally are in the 1.2 ,1.3, 1.4 range which is great for spraying imron , Awlgrip , Base coat - Clear Coat , ext , ext . Pete , i prefer a gun that i will only use for Primer and jell alone which..... will offer me a tip that is 2.2 , or bigger . Scippy , most guns will offer a wide range of tips either with the the gun when purchased or having to order the size that is needed for your type of application which really is not that much . Hey ole friend , just curious do you pay rent for the storage where the boat is at now ?

I've been told the turbines work well, although I have no experience w/them.
    DeVilbis and Binks both make good guns. There's another couple of brands that are popular w/the pros.
    Both Mike and Artie can give you guidance.
    I have a C.A.Technologies Jaguar gravity feed HVLP gun w/4 tips, which includes a 2.2 for spraying gel. I've also adapted a DeVilbis bag system to it which helps on clean up and you can also spray up-side down w/the bag.
    I think I payed about $425.00 for it.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Artie,

The boat is on my property in a 20' X 40' portable structure (kodiac from Canada) I have electricity w/110 service
    lights & overhead fans. It's heated & sits on new poured asphalt...........I'm setup pretty good for painting.....lets
    just see whats...........I like the FUJI turbine - perfect for my setup..............so, 2.2 would be good for Duratec?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Pete , a 2.2 tip or 2.5 would work very well for spraying that type of material ( Duratec ) , and when i worked at Skater spraying 14 gallons or more in one stretch.......... i often used a 2 qt pressure pot which had a 3.0 tip , and most qt gun's that we were using for spraying primer had a range of tips from 2.2 , 2.5 to 2.8 . George i also have a DeVilbss GFG -670 that offers me the bag for spraying upside down and easy cleanup which i like very well . Pete just curious are you planning on spraying the whole boat with Duratec and going thru the whole process of blocking everything out ? Man , i sure like that little shed that you are working out of , and is the Turbine unit designed for spraying material like jell or Duratec , and what size tips do they offer with that gun ? Pete a friend of mine has one of these units . www.turbinaire.com

Now that's a tent! Pretty cool.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Yes, I'd like to spray the whole boat prime & paint. I've done the small scale stuff already like block & sand the transom,
    engine hatch etc...I've never undertaken anything on a scale as large as this before. In fact, I've never done any glass
    work before the Magnum project....... Paid the big bucks on resto's in the past this one well be all mine.... Good or bad!
    The turbine can handle 1mil thru 2.2mil........Duratec should be no problem here.........The problem might be painting the
    hull bottom, don't know if I can bag the gun to paint upside down.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Carl,

Funny,... I had an event called "Come to the big tent" this summer for friends & family.
    Pulled the Magnum out & seated 40 people inside eating & watching old super 8 movies.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Pete, the DeVilbis bag kit comes w/6 or 8 different adapters that fit inside the throat of the can.
    Then a small plastic fitting is installed into the bottom center of the bag and then the fitting is installed into the can throat adapter.
    Also what I like about the bags is it's a lot easier (for me anyway) to mix small batches of paint, primer, or gel and then pour that amount into the bag, spray it and dispose of the bag.
    It's a snap.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

[The boat is on my property in a 20' X 40' portable structure (kodiac from Canada) I have electricity w/110 service]

Now that's what I need. My township wont let me build a pole barn, but a portable????

The hardest part was getting a variance from my town. The good part is, because it's
    considered "portable" there's no assessment to raise property taxes www.kodiakshelters.com
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Pete,

Cool tent and nice set up.
    thank you
    Jim

Scippy , thank you for the E-Mail .

Artie,

You mentioned you used many gallons of Duratec back when you were with Skater.........Did you use anything like a Paint tank?
    I just picked up a 2-1/2 gal. paint tank from Sears (crazy low price)............I'm thinking I could prime the entire hull in one shot
    How much Duratec would you say it takes to prime a Mag 27 hull & deck?

The Kodiak structure is by far the best around. It's a great alternative solution to the cost factor of say a "Pole barn" plus it goes
    up really quick....................I've checked alot of U.S. mfgrs. before I bought and this Canadian co. seems to be the best though.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Pete , over the years i have used many pressure pot units which are great for moving material when big areas are needed to be sprayed with primer or jell .Scippy , i see that sears has a recontitioned unit on sale for $57.93 , and a brand new one for 109.99 which either way is a very good price considering a friend of mine purchased another brand , and payed around $600.00 for it 8 years ago , and just curious did that unit come with the gun also ?

Thread Information