Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Ply or Coosa?

Scippy , glad to see you are going with Epoxy and that little tid -bit about using Cabosil / mixed , with resin , when doing an overhead layup ......is something i turned GlassDave (on too) a while back when i worked at Skater .

Quote Originally Posted by OFFSHORE GINGER View Post
    Scippy , glad to see you are going with Epoxy and that little tid -bit about using Cabosil / mixed , with resin , when doing an overhead layup ......is something i turned GlassDave (on too) a while back when i worked at Skater .
    Artie,

For the likes of me, I don't see how it would stick any other way. Had no idea Epoxy would run that easily out of the glass fabric, forgetabout hanging it overhead The cabo trick is the ticket. Now, I can hang that fabric (overhead) like fly paper catching a fly
    1983 Cigarette 35' Mistress
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Scippy , some epoxies are designed for infusion use only...... and often, are as thick as water or should i say very thin . Scippy i mostly use a very thick epoxy that Skater uses (Shell ) or an Epoxy made here in Mich for the Aero -space industry by ( Plasco ) which is like shell with a pot life of 165 min at 70 % but non the less i always mix Cabosil with every batch when doing any lay up .

Scippy , some epoxies are designed for infusion use only...... and often, are as thick as water or should i say very thin . Scippy i mostly use a very thick epoxy that Skater uses (Shell ) or an Epoxy made here in Mich for the Aero -space industry by ( Plasco ) which is like shell with a pot life of 165 min at 70 % but non the less i always mix Cabosil with every batch when doing any lay up .
    Artie,

I'm using systems three epoxy (#2 med. cure) I ordered it from Merton's..........I should've ordered #3 slow cure. Right now the max pot life is about 45 min. @ 70 plus degrees...........it doesn't allow you for much error. So, the cabo trick really moves the paper hanging along

I started making some templates to build a new engine hatch. I'm using a 1"x4" piece of pine to hold aganist the engine bay cutout & scribe the crown shape of the missing hatch. It's going to be a male mold. I should have some pics in a few days.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Looks and sounds great Pete

Keep up the good work

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

P,

Can't wait to see you get started on the open bow Mag 27. The custom work that you outlined is going to make it a very unique Magnum sport........great to talk with you the other day.

I started to build a male mold for the missing engine hatch on my 27 sport. Measuring is the hardest part. I framed it in place just to get the right angle of the slope or crown. Because it's the oposite of a female mold, It has to be framed a little smaller considering the glass will go on the outside. I'll use melamine on all the sides, apply a parting agent, add resin & glass - let cure then pull the frame away...........I'll use 1/2" balsa core for the crowned top. this will be done from the inside after the form is pulled.
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

I like it Pete!

Well done!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Hey Pete

I see a new second career in boat building!

Good talking to you too.

Side note My mechanic has taken ownership of Maggie number three and will be giving her a full restoration over the next two years so we will have another sport over here on lake michigan I also found the registration hidden in the boat A 1971

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Some great looking work, Scippy.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Scippy,

Hatch looks real nice. Great looking job on the template. I think my hatch is about 3/4" thick maby 1" on the edges which sounds like where you will end up.

- Marshall
    1978 Magnum Starfire "MAYHEM"
    1994 Donzi 22 Classic 540/Blackhawk - Sold
    1982 Midnight Express 32 SS

Pete

Really looking good. doing some nice work on the Sport.

will look forward to seeing the hatch when its done

Parnell

Great about the second Magnum Sport, its sounds like it found a very good home also . hope he keeps us posted on the work he does on it.
    Great.

Thank you
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by MDonziM View Post
    Scippy,

Hatch looks real nice. Great looking job on the template. I think my hatch is about 3/4" thick maby 1" on the edges which sounds like where you will end up.

- Marshall
    Marshall,

The 1/2" balsa core will be encapsulated between (2) 1/8" thick laminant followed by thin layers of fairing compound, probabely closer to 1"......."MAYHEM" looks great! - good luck with getting her dialed in.

Thanks all (P, George, Marshall, Bill, Jim) for the kind words............I have a quick question though concerning choice of material before I start the hatch..........I intend to use Vinylester & 1708 - polyester fairing compound - prime & then paint for the finish. Also, I have at my disposal, systems three epoxy with a suitable 12 oz. DB cloth............which do you think would be a better choice (material) for the hatch construction?..........appreciate it!
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Marshall,

The 1/2" balsa core will be encapsulated between (2) 1/8" thick laminant followed by thin layers of fairing compound, probabely closer to 1"......."MAYHEM" looks great! - good luck with getting her dialed in.

Thanks all (P, George, Marshall, Bill, Jim) for the kind words............I have a quick question though concerning choice of material before I start the hatch..........I intend to use Vinylester & 1708 - polyester fairing compound - prime & then paint for the finish. Also, I have at my disposal, systems three epoxy with a suitable 12 oz. DB cloth............which do you think would be a better choice (material) for the hatch construction?..........appreciate it!
    Scippy , the Vinyl and 1708 will be a good choice with an epoxy backup and just curious how thick will your fairing compound actually be in some areas and what brand name is the fairing compound , along with the primer you are going to be using ......Adtech filler or Duratec primer ........or ?

Scippy , the Vinyl and 1708 will be a good choice with an epoxy backup and just curious how thick will your fairing compound actually be in some areas and what brand name is the fairing compound , along with the primer you are going to be using ......Adtech filler or Duratec primer ........or ?
    Artie,

I was thinking that way also (Vinyle & 1708) just needed a strong opinion from a good glassman.....The male mold turned out pretty good & level, so hopefully I won't need too much compound. It's called "poly fair" a fairing compound from Merton's.....no choice on paint primer yet................any suggestions?
    1976 Magnum 27' Sport
    1986 Donzi 18' Classic
    NEVER FORGET 9/11

Quote Originally Posted by scippy View Post
    Artie,

I was thinking that way also (Vinyle & 1708) just needed a strong opinion from a good glassman.....The male mold turned out pretty good & level, so hopefully I won't need too much compound. It's called "poly fair" a fairing compound from Merton's.....no choice on paint primer yet................any suggestions?
    No suggestions on paint primer.....unless.....you end up w/epoxy on the outside, then System Three has some really good primers for painting over epoxy. Normally, that's a very difficult thing to do.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information