Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OPTIMA batteries

Question OPTIMA batteries

Anybody running Optima batteries? Think I have a battery going bad in the 22C. I've been running an Optima on my tunnel boat (2.5 Merc) and the charging system does'nt seem to jive to good with it. Thought about getting another one and putting them in the Donzi.

Anyboby had bad luck with em?
    '06 22 Classic GT #8, 496 HO "Double Shot"
    '96 Mirage River Racer, Merc 280 "Nervous Mother"

I have Optimas in my boat and drag car and the last red top in the drag car went for 12-years. The blue tops in the boat are 4-years old with no problems. I try to trickle charge them through the winter.
    RickS-E

Quote Originally Posted by JustMercMe View Post
    Anybody running Optima batteries? Think I have a battery going bad in the 22C. I've been running an Optima on my tunnel boat (2.5 Merc) and the charging system does'nt seem to jive to good with it. Thought about getting another one and putting them in the Donzi.

Anyboby had bad luck with em?
    First off, you need the Blue top ones. Automotive batteries don't like the marine voltages, up to 14.7.
    I have had 2 in my 22, one is 7 years old and the other is a year old. I killed that one, not the boat.
    Since they are AGM batteries, you should use the correct type of charger for this style of battery. Don't use a regular automotive charger.
    They hold a charge real well, no maintenance and no spilling. Yes, they are about $150 bucks at Costco. That is the down side.
    I will continue to use them.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I know from reading that they do and can fail.
    So, you want to be on the water on a holiday, or Sunday and they fail, what do you do???????
    If you go w/a marine starting battery from Walmart or Sam's, you can get a replacement most any time. Probably save $80-$90.00 too.
    Also, they have a multi year free replacement policy
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I know from reading that they do and can fail.
    So, you want to be on the water on a holiday, or Sunday and they fail, what do you do???????
    If you go w/a marine starting battery from Walmart or Sam's, you can get a replacement most any time. Probably save $80-$90.00 too.
    Also, they have a multi year free replacement policy
    That is why I have 2 batteries, so I don't have to go shopping on a Sunday or holiday.
    If both fail, I am going home.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Whatever you do stay away from Odyssey batteries. They have pure lead plates suspended in gel. The pure lead does not hold up to vibration or shock. The engineer from Odyssey finally admitted that too me after replacing 5 of them in a rigid Harley in a matter of 6 weeks. They kept shorting out on me, drove me out of my mind, kept blaming the charging system! Don't know if they would hold up in a boat that has the likely hood of pounding in a chop. Regular lead acid batteries have a lead alloy for plates, much more durable.
    1999 16 Classic Black on White

I am happy with my battery from Interstate. Regularass 27 marine deep cycle.

I have heard that Optimas aren't what they used to be. I sure havent done any testing on them , so I dont know if it is true. I had 2 in cars that I no longer own, and they worked fine.

Which ever battery you buy, will be the one you recommend to the next guy that asks this question. You know how it goes. What is 50.00 if you are happy and the battery lasts 5 to 10 to 15 years. I asked the same question, and someone replied that they had an Interstate deep cycle for 12 years and is still good.

Get a name brand battery and you will probably wont have problems for a few years. I would go with deep cycle though. They are more suited for what you will use it for.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

I have a couple of 11-year old Optima blue-top starting batteries in my Magnum that still work just fine, and I treat them like crap. On the other hand, I just had to replace my 5-year old Optama red-top battery in my Excursion that gets driven almost daily. After about two years of use, the red top started to not crank as well as I thought it should have, but it did work so I gave it little thought. Looking back, I probabaly should have had it replace under warranty. Of course, it's to late now. Did I replace it with another Optima? Nope! I went to Autozone and bought a Duralast Gold for about $70 less than an Optima - and wow! I never knew that my Excursion's starter motor could turn so fast!

Anyway, it seems that AGM type batteries like Optimas hold up well during long peroids of non use, but I really don't think they are any better than a regular lead-acid battery for daily use.

BYW, most battery brands, both major and house brands including Optima, are either made by or owned by Johnson Controls.

I lost a red top in my off roader and replaced with another. Not bad for 10 yrs of abuse !!

Have been running a yellow top in my 22c for 4 yrs now without an issue. Fresh water use only.
    The Optima web site says that the blue top just has stainless steel connections.

The blue top comes in a non deep cycle (34M) engine starting type (like the reds) and deep cycle/dual purpose types.
    I prefer the dual purpose like the yellows and most blues. If I were in salt water I would go blue.
    '
    Reality is something you rise above. Build yourself a life -- and live with it.

I wouldn't sweat it ... so an idiot thinks you're a dick ... not the end of the world.

Always live life as though you have something to learn and you will

I have one red top in a car that sits alot and it is fine. I read on another website "so it must be true" that Optima's are not what they used to be. The older ones held up well and lasted a long time. Then they started to produce Optima batteries south of the border and they are not as good.

Totally different subject but the same thing happened with Vice Grips. They were made in the USA and now they are made in China. No price change but they are not the same. I have stocked up on several types and sizes of the USA ones. The packaging is identical except for the USA Flag on the front. Luckily hardware stores seem to put the new ones in front of the old so you can still find them.

Sorry to get on a rant but alot of you work on your own stuff as I do. Brian

I have had a blue top in the 22 for 3 years. It is doing just fine. I also run red tops in most of my vehicles and have been pleased. The fact that they don't leak all over more expensive items, like a cruise control module, makes them a good long term investment in my book.

I have never even tried one due to the constant controversy, they seem to be a love hate item. I stick with tried and true brands that you hear little to nothing about, that has stood me well for about 50 years go figure!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Last 4 boats I have had 10 blue tops, severe stereo duty, lots of boating and one failed after a year and was replaced. Very good
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Oh, one other thing.... Russ just reminded me. You can take an Optima, flip it upside down and use it to jump another vehicle by touching the terminals together. No jumper cables required. Try that with a standard lead-acid.
    Don't ask me for details.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thanks for the replies guys. Like I said, I have one and was debating on getting another. Think I'm gonna try it and see how things go. The Interstates that are in it came from the factory as far as I can tell so they are at least 4-5 years old. Bout time for them to start failing the way I treat a battery.

Thanks again guys!
    '06 22 Classic GT #8, 496 HO "Double Shot"
    '96 Mirage River Racer, Merc 280 "Nervous Mother"

Thread Information