Thread: Lost RPMs

Lost RPMs

I got the X-18 back together by July 4th weekend (after a deck off gas tank replacement project). I had the carb rebuilt and engine tuned by my local mechanic. She was running better than I've seen, 60 mph at about 4900 rpm. Its a stock 260 hp SBC. Slowly over the last couple weeks the performance has dropped off. I'm only getting about 4400 rpms now. Any ideas where I should start looking for the lost rpms?
    I could take it back to my mechanic, but it isn't very convenient and they are very busy.
    1978 X-18, SBC, Volvo 280T
    Big Grizzly 21 Solas Prop
    Heart Bay, Lake George, NY

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbyvv View Post
    I got the X-18 back together by July 4th weekend (after a deck off gas tank replacement project). I had the carb rebuilt and engine tuned by my local mechanic. She was running better than I've seen, 60 mph at about 4900 rpm. Its a stock 260 hp SBC. Slowly over the last couple weeks the performance has dropped off. I'm only getting about 4400 rpms now. Any ideas where I should start looking for the lost rpms?
    I could take it back to my mechanic, but it isn't very convenient and they are very busy.

its the hot weather,mine will loose rpm's when its hot out..try a evening cruise and see if you get your rpm's back..

hot weather and ethanol-based fuel will drop the rpms.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Since you had it tuned, did the mechanic tighten the distributer?
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

you may also want to check the screen on the pick up tube, sometimes they get slag particles on the screen from welding the tank together..premimum fuel helps too..

thanks, I'll check the pick-up and distributor. It's definately been hot, but I never had it drop off like this before.

Hot & Humid does rob power. Also depending on how you have the boat loaded with persons or gear it can slow you as well.. Other than that I would recommend that you at least do a quick recheck of you mechanicals to be safe.. Jamie / Lakeside.

found the rpms

It must have been the heat and humidity. Ran right up to 4900 on Saturday with low humidity and 78 degrees.

Thread Information