Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drive test coming soon

Drive test coming soon

It's on its way.
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62429
    Still not sure I should have pulled the trigger...but too late now.

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get it installed. I'll post results when it's done.

Titan has his drive off right now (-2 shorty) and has offered to let me give it try. I'm hoping I can find time to try it out 1st, so I can have a 3-way comparison of Stock, Shorty and BH.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Congratulations!
    I think that just might be the answer to al lot of your issues.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Hey Glen, mine is going back together very soon!!! You better try it pretty quick if your still interested. Give me a call.
    '04 22 Classic
    RAYLAR HO525
    BRAVO XR/IMCO -2

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Hey Glen, mine is going back together very soon!!! You better try it pretty quick if your still interested. Give me a call.
    Take some pics of the repair before the engine goes back in. I'd be interested to see how it differs from mine.

I will get some pics, they have changed the repair completely again. The kit Donzi sent me contained 1/2" core foam which they core the whole hull area under the engine and then put a few different layers of mat over that. The guy doing the repair for me said the foam will absorb a lot of shock and abuse that area takes. I asked Chuck at Donzi if this was proving to be a stronger repair and he replied that they were having good luck with it as well as this is the way they do the 38 ZR. They also drill holes every six inches in the strakes and inject them to fill the voids in the strakes. Time will tell I guess. Can't wait to get it back together, this is a stupid time of year to have it apart.
    '04 22 Classic
    RAYLAR HO525
    BRAVO XR/IMCO -2

Titan, I never did hear what actually happened to your boat, just that something "bad" happened.

Yeller, this will be a good test and the drive shouldn't be hard to resell if you don't like it. After reading the 18 shortie Alpha posts I'm thinking I could run a -2 on my boat; putting my "X" up 3.5".
    RickS-E

Titan, I never did hear what actually happened to your boat, just that something "bad" happened.
    Nothing "BAD", just the typical cracks in the hull under the engine. Known about them for awhile, just finally got time to deal with it. Cracks on both sides but worse on the port, was actually starting to delaminate. Glad I didn't wait for winter! Had the spider cracks in gelcoat outside of that area repaired as well. My hull warranty was up but I contacted Donzi anyways. They sent me the current repair kit less resins and such that they could not ship. They were helpful and didn't have a problem supplying the materials. I get it back tomorrow, looking forward to getting the engine back in. Lets hope that is the end of that problem. I also cut the front storage tub out and fitted the new piece of plywood so it could be glassed in at the same time. One less thing I have to make time to do. Can't wait to have access to the bow storage...
    '04 22 Classic
    RAYLAR HO525
    BRAVO XR/IMCO -2

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Nothing "BAD", just the typical cracks in the hull under the engine...
    OK thanks for the info, was just curious. I also had the repair done a few years ago and it's held up fine on the inside. We did have to go back into the repair on the outside though and remove putty that the factory put under the gel repair to the strake area. After we fixed this the bottom has been rock solid.
    RickS-E

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    ...I'm thinking I could run a -2 on my boat; putting my "X" up 3.5".
    If the BH works on my boat, you'll certainly be able to run a shorty.
    I should see it this week, but not sure if I'll have time to try it out. Hoping I can by the end of next week.

I'm getting worried about the import charges from UPS though. I just had a $110 part that weighed 8oz shipped UPS and the import charges were $50 from UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by RickSE View Post
    OK thanks for the info, was just curious. I also had the repair done a few years ago and it's held up fine on the inside. We did have to go back into the repair on the outside though and remove putty that the factory put under the gel repair to the strake area. After we fixed this the bottom has been rock solid.
    Mine has been holding up too and I also had to go back and remove putty. I've since added 4 layers of stitchmat on the engine room floor and up the stringers. I didn't want to do the coring because it would have raised the floor enough to prevent water drainage from the front area.

Yeller, good luck with the testing. I hope you can finally cure your boat's quirks.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

I'm getting worried about the import charges from UPS though. I just had a $110 part that weighed 8oz shipped UPS and the import charges were $50 from UPS.
    Hey Glen, too late this time but I always use Seawings express. If you have it shipped to your name c/o Seawings express at their address in Blaine, Washington they will bring it to Victoria airport in bond. You just go to their office, pick up the paperwork, walk over to the Customs office and pay the tax and then walk back over and they give you your goods. Smaller packages are usually $17.00. This way your not paying brokerage fees, your clearing it yourself. If you go to their website it explains the process. Way cheaper than UPS brokerage fees.

Good luck with the leg swap, call me if you need help with anything. I should be ready for some testing of my own next week, maybe we can tee up out there.
    '04 22 Classic
    RAYLAR HO525
    BRAVO XR/IMCO -2

Be sure to call me with any problems with UPS I filled out all the paper work but who knows what else there is. thanks

Drive arrived today Blake. Won't be able to get it until Monday. Were the pins sent on the same truck or should I expect a second shipment?

They should have been followed very close by ill check Ups website and get back to you, did the drive make the transport smoothly?

Quote Originally Posted by BlakeSullivan View Post
    ...did the drive make the transport smoothly?
    I sure hope so. I can't get to the depot today and they'll be closed on the weekend, so it'll have to wait until Monday. Hopefully the pins will be there by then as well.

Thread Information