Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Take a look at this boat !

Take a look at this boat !

Attachment 57420I know it's not a Donzi, but a lot of people think it looks like one. I've had this boat all summer and it runs real sweet. (maybe that is how the sixteen got its name) It is registered as a 17' and was made in 1966. The original power came from Holman Moody, but some of it has been switched out over time.
    ..... so I couldn't help myself when I found and bought the second one that is a project boat. This one was made in 1967, and it did give me some mising parts I needed.
    What I don't know or can't find is any history on it, and was hoping other members of this forum could help.
    Regardless of what I ever find out. I have a piece of history, actually two.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you know the Brand Name? is there a HIN # on it?
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

Hull # is 09106814. The title say's it is a Champion. But no numbers have been found on the boat itself. If I knew where to look that would help a bit.

I can help out a bit.... my next door neighbor growing up had one... his was a dark blue hull/white deck and white interior/4 cyl Volvo, he bought it new

I went to the factory in Opa Locka Fla when his was being built, the warehouse was just west of 27 ave in an industrial section a few blocks north of Ali baba Ave.... i'm not sure how many were made, but this was in the 66-68 time frame, my friends was a 67 I think... his dad had a dark blue/white/white 67 or 68 Caddy conv and the boat matched the car.... there were some V8 versions, there is a guy close to my house (Gary) that has had one since new, and still has it stashed in his garage next to a perfect 69 Yenko Camaro, his is a V8 version and I heard is still like new..

Champ also was working on a 22 mold late in 68 or early 69 and may have made less than a handfull of those... that 22 was suspiciously close looking to the 22 Donzi we know today...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Thanks for the info. that is a bit of help ... and the company was called champion ? Doing an internet search the word champion is all over everything else and I could be looking for years.
    Both of my boats are V-8's and the red one still has what I believe is the original 302.
    I still would like to know more though.....

they didn't build many 17's.... I don't think they survived past '70ish, if that... don't know anything else other than that... your not going to find anything..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Thanks again.
    I guess I know now as much as I will. What has been fun is showing it off, both on the water and the trailer too.
    I also think these 17's are similar to the Donzi 16 and the thunerbird jr. too.
    If anyone else has one, post your pic's.
    .....so now do I have to post to the (other boats forum) or will you guy's let me in the Donzi side?

Quote Originally Posted by champ View Post
    Both of my boats are V-8's and the red one still has what I believe is the original 302.....
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dusted off my brain and it told me in 1967 it would be a 289.
    Craig,
    slowest boat resto project ever

Lake St Clair and Michigan's Inland Waterway

.... can anyone tell me their thoughts on 289 vs.302 ?

Quote Originally Posted by champ View Post
    .... can anyone tell me their thoughts on 289 vs.302 ?
    Only difference I know of is the 302 has a slightly longer stroke:
    3" vs 2.870" for the 289.
    Craig,
    slowest boat resto project ever

Lake St Clair and Michigan's Inland Waterway

Quote Originally Posted by realbold View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I dusted off my brain and it told me in 1967 it would be a 289.

You are correct, Ford didn't come out with the 302 until 1968.

I would like to restore this boat to original vs. the other one (blue) which is modified, The blue one has a 351 W in it.
    Would the performance of a 351 and a 289 be tremendously different?
    How about value wise?

I found these pics on this site some years ago. No other info., sorry.

Enjoy,
    Eric

One more.

Thanks for the added pic's. Now to find out how many are still floating around.

Thread Information