Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank-corrected Fuel Sender for Classics

Bob, sender installed today, went easier than I thought, but still took more time than necessary due to the foward location of the sending unit.

Tank read "full" with stock sender, after the install, the needle cycled to full then came to rest at a bit over half.

Couldn't try the gauge out as the wind has been blowing all day and there are 5-6 footers in the river. Hopefully some time this week.

Thanks for a quality part.

Ken

Red face Dang

I must have missed that incompatible part in my excitement. Mine is a 1967 18' with a 25 gallon tank. Bummer.
    1967 Holman Moody 18' 2+3 "Bluebird"

He guys,

I hit a VERY large wave this weekend and my guage is not working any more. I was very wishy washy... moving back and forth before the big hit.

Do y'all think my guage is broken? or the sending unit.

1997 c18 with original guages.

Thanks,

Jeff

My first guess is that the sender has gone south. You can pull it out and test it with an ohmmeter.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I am a little more than mechanically challanged!

Is the sender where the fill hose connects to the tank?

Is this something that is easily done... it sure is cramped under there!

Ignition off. Remove the seats. Open the cooler in the cockpit floor. There should be a round removable plate under there, toward the bow end of the cooler. Under the plate is the aft end of the fuel tank and the sender unit. It will have two or three wires attached to it and is secured with 5 screws. Pink?, black, and green. Black and green may be together.

If you are not mechanically inclined, it wouldn't hurt to have someone around who is, to give you a hand.

Removal is easy. Clean the area around the sender, so no dirt or debris will fall in the tank. Disconnect the wires, remembering how and where they were attached. Move them out of the way. Carefully, remove the five screws and washers and set them aside. Don't drop them around the tank, you won't find them if you do. Gently lift the sender or pry it loose from the tank. There is a gasket between the sender and the tank. Remove the gasket along with sender. You may have to turn the sender to remove it from the tank as it has an arm and float on the end of it. Once removed, cover the hole with clean rag.

In order to test it, you will need and ohmmeter or a multimeter on the ohm setting. Put one lead on one terminal and the other lead on the other terminal (or on the cover plate), and take a reading. With the float hanging all the way down, you should read around 240 ohms. Now move the arm all the way upward, watching the meter as you move it. The meter readings should steadily change and go to about 33 ohms when the arm is all the way up. FYI, it should read about 135 ohms at about 1/2 way.

If the readings are way off, or have dead spots, replace the sender.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

JeffH,

Before removing the sender from the tank, check all wiring at the tank and the gauge. If that looks ok, remove the positive sender lead from the sender, the one on the center post. Turn on the ignition, don't start the engine. Temporarily, touch the lead to the the gas tank or to the other black or green wire. Watch the gas gauge while you are doing this. The gauge should peg full when you do this and then return to empty when you remove the lead. Just touch the wires together, don't leave them there for long, not good for the gauge to keep it pegged.

This is a quick test of the gauge. If it seems to be moving as expected, shut off the ignition and proceed with sender removal.

Post your findings.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Great... thanks!

We have rain predicted from the tropical strom here in Texas for the week.

I'll get to it as soon as I can (might work on it in the garage). Most likely this weekend.

I presume the sender you are selling will fit the '97 18c. I'll most likely need one as it was carpping out before the big "wave" (a 40' went by in ICW and I though I could jump his wake...didn't quite have enough speed to clear the second wave!) .

Thanks again,

JH

While you are in there, read the tag next to the sender. Most likely it is a 41 gallon RDS tank and that one should not be an issue. Also, check the gauge for the manufacturer, 1997 is most likely a black-faced VDO gauge. Those are also not a problem.

Good luck.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

hey

do you have any left? 1995 black hawk. while i am in there fixing the leak i might as well fix the gauge
    h.f.e.c.d

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gero1 View Post
    do you have any left? 1995 black hawk. while i am in there fixing the leak i might as well fix the gauge
    I do. There is actually no limit to number I can get.

I have Buna-L Cork gasket included with the unit. I also have Neoprene ones for $3 extra. You will need the longer hardware for $2, if you don't have them handy. They are SS #10-32 x 1.25" screws and washers. Let me know what gasket you prefer and I will get a total together for you.

Also, do you know the manufacturer of your gauge? VDO maybe?

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

gauges are vdo. tank is a rds. part #55048 22 blackhawk. date 6 27 94. mat al5052-h32. thickness .125 s/n 06-27-9486412:06 couldn't read the gallons. sending the money in the morning.
    h.f.e.c.d

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gero1 View Post
    gauges are vdo. tank is a rds. part #55048 22 blackhawk. date 6 27 94. mat al5052-h32. thickness .125 s/n 06-27-9486412:06 couldn't read the gallons. sending the money in the morning.
    My guess is that you have a 55g. tank, same as my '97. Part number is different but I am willing to bet there is a minor change from your tank to mine and they gave it different part number. VDO gauge should not be a problem.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Gero,

Got the M.O. Will ship today.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I finally was able to run my boat with the new gauge installed.

What a pleasure it is to look at the fuel gauge and not see it slap from one side to the other.

A nice steady read at any level.

Burned through an indicated half tank, but did not top off as I am done for the season (water too low, can't get boat off lift) and I do not want to store with a full tank. I guess in the spring, I should look fordward to dropping in 25 or so gallons of fresh fuel to start the '11 season off.

Bob, nice product.

Thanks.

Ken

Thread Information