Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank-corrected Fuel Sender for Classics

Hey bob,
    I have a 1986 22 classic that I just ordered livorsi gauges for. I didn't read the whole thread can u set me up with what I need

Thanks , chris

[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

Should not be a problem. I will be in touch when the new order comes in.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Great thanks

I recently got my last order in. I have just had a hectic week and haven't had time to post. Those that preciously asked about one, Sschoppa, Boomr, Offset, and FishermanJM, I will send you a PM this weekend.

JohnC, I will be shipping yours asap.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thanks for your efforts and the heads up on the new inventory Bob.

Money order sent.

Thanks

Murray

Thank you Bob. I appreciate the quick turnaround.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

I have ordered a unit and look forward to getting it. My son and I took a good look at the tank and the location of the sender and for the life of me I just cannot see how the part is accessible. With the hatch cover removed I am looking at the fuel shut off the sender is further forward oriented towards the port side. Has anyone else has problems accessing this part? I know it can be done as Bob has sold many so I am wondering what is involved and what the options are for getting at the existing sender unit. It is impossible on mine to even get a hand in there let alone a hand holding a screw driver!!

Suggestions or recommendation would be appreciated. I am wondering if I need to install a larger inspection cover if that is possible.

Hey Bob,

Just want to let you know the sender has arrived, thanks for the help.

Mike

Murray,

Mine wasn't exactly centered under the hatch either. For the removal, I would see if I could get a 1/4" drive socket over the existing screws and get them removed, or try an ignition wrench. Obviously, if you can't get the old one out, the new one is not going in. Give it a shot. The old screws should have a hex head on them. The new ones don't as I was trying to keep costs down, and the hex head ones weren't as readily available. You may need some with the hex head. Remember not to over-torque them.

The last resort should be cutting in a larger access plate. I can't remember who it was but somebody else had to cut in a larger plate for access. Also, clean the area around the sender before starting.

Bob

Mike,

Your welcome.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thanks Bob, I am sure it will go in without resorting to the chainsaw!! I like the advise another poster gave using allen head screws for the installation. I will pick some up in both thread sizes just in case. I also wonder if I cut an access hole in the in floor locker on the vertical end it I might be able then to reach in from the very end of the tank. I will make sure it is well cleaned prior to opening it up.

Again thank you.

Murray

Bob, got mine today. Thx again.

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

"Thanks Bob, I am sure it will go in without resorting to the chainsaw!! I like the advise another poster gave using allen head screws for the installation. I will pick some up in both thread sizes just in case. I also wonder if I cut an access hole in the in floor locker on the vertical end it I might be able then to reach in from the very end of the tank. I will make sure it is well cleaned prior to opening it up." -Offset

I'm not sure how similar our Donzis' fuel tanks are, but I had the same problem and managed to get around it. (I was a little skeptical too as to whether or not I could get the senders in and out) First I removed the entire access door by unscrewing the 6 screws around it (it may be different for your year, I'm not sure) which opened up the hole by a couple inches in diameter. If I remember correctly, the OEM screws are metric hex screws which I hooked up a ratchet to and got off without a problem. (I'll check this tomorrow, I did this last week and I think that I those were the screws) Here's how I removed the original sender: I removed the wires and safely pulled on them to get enough wire out so they wouldn't fall back in and be lost down there. I was sitting on the port side of the boat and I pulled the sender straight up, and then tilted it and pulled it towards me. I then slowly changed the angle of the tilt to go further towards the back of the boat, while still pulling. This removed the original sender. To put it back in, I coated each side of the optional neoprene gasket with silicone and then put the screws through. I did the reverse of what I did to take it out. (After trimming the new sender by 1/4" since it was slightly too long) I got the stainless steel screws from tidbart, which are phillips-head screws. I took a phillips-head drill bit and attached it to the inside of a ratchet and held it there while screwing on the new sender. (The drill bit just happened to fit, it wasn't made for a ratchet.)
    I don't think that the five screws on the sender are symmetrical so when you put it on make sure to tighten the screws only slightly at first to make sure that you can get all five screws in. I had to rotate the sender a few times before it fit.

I hope that helps
    edit: beforehand I also removed my front seats which made it a lot easier to manage everything around that access door. I'd recommend doing that.
    Last edited by RockyS18; 06-22-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    Donzi 22' Classic

Tiny phillips, hex, square, star type bits, fit in a 3/8" ratchet wrench . I had no clearance for a small drive regular ratchet in my 02 18 on install. New sender is taller with 1/2" longer screws.

RockyS18 and Mike O some great advice offered. I appreciated the information you gained from your install very much. I will let you know but just in case I did sharpen the chainsaw blade!

Thanks again.

Murray

Murray,

I got the check over the weekend and got the sender shipped today, on its way to your buddys' house.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thread Information