Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: Tank-corrected Fuel Sender for Classics

Hello Bob,

Purchased a sender back in September of 2016 for my 1995 22 Classic. Finally installed two weekends ago. Not getting good results. At 3/4 full I pumped 16 gallons in. At 1/2 it took 42 Gallons. My tank is a 55 gallon unit. It is connected to a new Auto Meter gauge. Any idea would could be the issue?

Thank you,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Redink View Post
    Hello Bob,

Purchased a sender back in September of 2016 for my 1995 22 Classic. Finally installed two weekends ago. Not getting good results. At 3/4 full I pumped 16 gallons in. At 1/2 it took 42 Gallons. My tank is a 55 gallon unit. It is connected to a new Auto Meter gauge. Any idea would could be the issue?

Thank you,
    Ken
    Hi, did you read page 1 of Bobs thread on using an Ohm meter on your gas gauge to see if its compatible with Bobs sending units? He list info to check and see with other info . Not sure Bobs on this site much anymore? I have one of Bobs units been great for years but only reads 1/2 full with a full tanks as of last weekend . Im going to read this whole thread Bobs got lots of info on his units on here.

Hello Bob,

Thank you,
    Ken

Sorry for the slow reply, Ken. I travel a lot and don't get on the sight as often as I used to. As far as Autometer goes, the maker of the sender says that Autometer 3316 and 3516 are compatible. They don't say anything else about them. First off, I would check the model number of your gauge. Post it and we can go from there.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Hi Bob,

The fuel gauge is an AutoMeter 3516. 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full. I did measure the gauge, signal to ground is 329ohms, signal to positive is 92ohms. I took the signal wire off of the fuel sender and measured from the sender to the negative lug on the sender, that gave me a reading of 35.9 ohms. With this reading the fuel gauge read that I had 7/8 of a tank of gas. I then filled the tank to the top which took 26.4 gallons of gas which is almost a half tank of fuel. With a half tank should I have gotten a reading of approx 136 ohms?

Ken

Hi Bob,

The fuel gauge is an AutoMeter 3516. 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full. I did measure the gauge, signal to ground is 329ohms, signal to positive is 92ohms. I took the signal wire off of the fuel sender and measured from the sender to the negative lug on the sender, that gave me a reading of 35.9 ohms. With this reading the fuel gauge read that I had 7/8 of a tank of gas. I then filled the tank to the top which took 26.4 gallons of gas which is almost a half tank of fuel. With a half tank should I have gotten a reading of approx 136 ohms?

Ken

The readings that you give lend toward the meter being compatible and the maker would want those readings if we have to go to them. The readings correlate to a sender operating voltage of 2.70 at 11 v. It should be good.

You can't test the senders this way as it is not resistive, more based on capacitance, if I remember correctly. You may however be able to test the gauge with a resistor. If you can, get a 33 ohm resistor from Radio Shack or a local electronics store, and put it in place of the sender. You should get a full reading on the meter. If you don't, the meter is the issue.

Even if the meter is good, the maker will want you take a voltage reading across the 33 ohm resistor, if it comes to contacting them for help.

The tank should not be an issue. I believe the were using RDS aluminum tanks back then. A couple years later they went to plastic which deformed sometimes. Again, should not be an issue.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Hi Bob,

Was finally able to test with a 33ohm resister. The gauge read exactly full. The voltage reading across the resister was 2.8 volts. Any ideas? I can certainly contact the manufacturer.

Can't believe summer is over.

Ken

It's Time

Ken,

I would agree that it is time to contact the manufacturer. Below is the information that they will need as you have done most everything I can think of already. There is a gentleman name Joel that I have dealt with in the past. He know just about everything on this subject, as he should. He knows about all the gauges out there also. There may be something quirky about this particular meter, such as an internal regulator or something else. Anyways, they only do tech support via email. help@centroidproducts.com

Explain the issue and what you have done and give him the following data. They will get back to you promptly.

Sender: cgfp-9-12v-240/33-27-lcm"tidbart1"-gas-5h
    fuel gauge: AutoMeter 3516 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full.
    signal to ground is 329 ohms
    signal to positive is 92 ohms
    33 ohm resistor test: gauge read exactly full. The voltage reading across the resister was 2.8 volts.

Let me know what happens.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Anyone interested in taking this over?

Life has seemed to have gotten in the way of me keeping up with these senders. I find myself working too much and not boating enough. Also, I lost my partner in this venture, George, a couple of years ago, and he helped with the purchasing.

Anyways, since I don't have the time, I was wondering if someone wants to take over the sender business. I say business, but there is not a lot of demand, but some, and I didn't do it to make money, just break even. I have a recent inquiry and couple of others over the past year or two, who I probably left hanging due to personal circumstances. I apologize to those who contacted me.

There a few things to know.
    You will need to have some type of business with a tax ID. The supplier is a wholesaler who won't sell to the public.
    I will supply all the information that I have to place orders with the manufacturer including the code for the programming which is needed so they will work with the Donzi tanks.
    Prices went up a couple of years ago, so the information in the post is dated.
    I used to order about 5 at a time so I would have some in hand.

That is pretty much it for now. I can answer any questions either through email or phone. I do travel a ton, so email will be kind of slow. Phone at four zero 7, 7 five Seven, 7 six three six.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Bob, I think it's admirable that you took this on in the first place.
    I am one of many that have your sender. Still can't say how it works, because boat just sits in the garage. Lol.

Maybe Donzi Direct would take it over? You've done all the hard work to set it up. It would be an easy addition to their portfolio.
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Yeller,

That is a good suggestion. Although, it does require some homework on the part of the boater such as figuring out if the sender will work with a particular gauge. In a lot of cases, I did the preliminary calcs and if I had any doubts, I would contact the manufacturer to discuss/verify. Not sure that DonziDirect would be able to do this type of thing as it is not a one-size-fits- all type of thing.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thread Information