Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank-corrected Fuel Sender for Classics

Thumbs up Tank-corrected Fuel Sender for Classics

Electronic Programmed Fuel Sending Unit

As some of you know, I have been working on the programming for an electronic sending unit. The intent of the project has been to come up with one design that can be utilized in several different tank styles that have been used in certain Donzis throughout the years. In other words, these will correct for the odd-shape of the Classic’s tanks. You will get a more accurate reading throughout the range of your fuel gauge.
    Well, I have just finished working with the manufacturer on the programming aspects and am in the process of placing and order. Some pertinent info on the sender is listed below.

Information and Highlights

• Continuous readout
    • No field trimming
    • No moving parts
    • 2 Terminal, no battery lead needed to the sender
    • 12 volt
    • Compatible with most 240E/33F ohm gauges See below for list
    • 5 hole SAE pattern
    • Gasoline only
    • Water Indication, meter will peg to above full when water hits the probe
    • Rugged and Reliable
    • 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty

Compatible gauge manufacturers
    Datcon, Livorsi, Gaffrig (newer than 1996), OMC, Stewart Warner, Teleflex, US Gauge, Autometer (3316/3516)

VDOs are questionable. I will have to check with manufacturer. Some of VDO gauges are wired backwards from standard meters. I checked with manu last night and the 1996, 1997 VDOs should be compatible. Don't know what other years they were used. Check with me in advance and we can perform a compatibility check to verify compliance.

Incompatible manufacturers
    Westach, Gaffrig (pre-1996), Tempo, some VDOs, Rochester, Wema, Yamaha

Compatibility check
    Remove the leads from the back of your existing gauge. Ignore the wiring for the light.
    Take an ohm reading from S to the Gnd terminal. Should be 300-500 ohms.
    Take a second reading from S to + terminal. Maybe in the 50-200 ohm range.
    Get me those readings and we can check the compatibility of your gauge.

Most-Compatible Tanks
    These are not all, but the best of the tanks I have check so far. I will check any other tank if you have the dimensions or drawings. These are mostly a classic style tank with tapered sides and a varying bottom width and 9.5-11 inch depth.

Older 22, 88-93, Alum, 55g, Accuracy > 99%
    Newer 22, 93-98, Alum, 55g, Accuracy > 99%
    Newest 22, 99-??, Plastic, 52 g, Accuracy > 99%
    18C and 20C, Years??, Alum, 41g, Accuracy > 99%
    Hornet, Alum, 60g, Accuracy > 96%

Accuracy is in relation to the design curve.

Incompatible tanks
    16 and 18, 25 gallon tanks from the 70’s.

Like I said, get me some boat information, a drawing, or dimensions, and I will check to see if you tank will work. I have a limited amount of information on all the tanks throughout the years.

Comparison curves for your tank will be supplied upon request, if I have it.

Pricing
    I got the price down as best that I could with the amount that I ordered. These came in at $75.00 each, and shipping. My guess is that shipping will be about $10 for the lower 48. So, let’s call it $85.00 shipped, and be done with it. I am not in this to make money so, if this goes well, I will try to get a lower price on future orders, no promises. \

Options
    I now have some options for your convenience.
    (5) #10-32 x 1.25" Machine screws and washers for $2.00 None are included with the sender.

Shipping
    This original will be available in 2-3 weeks from now. Not sure of the date yet.
    I will ship as soon as they become available to me.

Payment
    I will take a check or money order.
    Mail to:
    Robert Wilson
    1203 Pinar Dr.
    Orlando, FL 32825

Or Paypal. If doing Paypal, use the Personal/Other tab to send a payment to tidbitnh@yahoo.com. Funds from bank account or Paypal balance only. No credit cards, I am not paying the fees.

Any questions, call me at 407-757-7636 or email on the link under my name.

Thanks, Bob (Tidbart)
    Last edited by Tidbart; 05-13-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Price change. See post #36 for details. Added compat check.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I wonder if the 87' 22C tanks are the same as the 88' tanks.??.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by Planetwarmer View Post
    I have been trying to verify this for the last few weeks. Farmer TX said that his 86 22C has the same tank as an 84 Critter. My guess is that you have the same tank, should be by Florida Marine Tank, FMT-DZ-54. Nobody has had a chance to read their tank tag or send me a drawing or dimensions, yet.
    Any chance you could get a look at your tag?

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Quote Originally Posted by Planetwarmer View Post
    Duh, I just emailed FMT and asked for the drawing. We will see what happens. Meanwhile get some info on your tank tag and gauge if you are interested.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Assuming it'll work on my '90 22c, I'll take one.
    1982 18' 2+3
    SOLD - 1990 22' Classic, ATS Racing built 466 Ford, OMC King Cobra Hump back

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouLou View Post
    Assuming it'll work on my '90 22c, I'll take one.
    C-Lou
    I included that tank in the study. It should be the "Old 22 Tank", AFP (now RDS), 55g, and it is compatible. I will need to know what gauge you are using, and if you get a couple minutes, pull the inspection plate and check the tank tag for size and manufacturer.
    Then we can go from there.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I'm using a livorsi fuel gauge, and i'll check the inspection cover for numbers and such tomorrow.
    1982 18' 2+3

I'm using a livorsi fuel gauge, and i'll check the inspection cover for numbers and such tomorrow.
    Fantastic.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

VDO gauge check procedure

Mid 90s Classics and I am sure others, used a black faced VDO gauge. So far, I know they were in '95-'97s.

To check the gauge for compatibility, you will need an ohmmeter. Remove the wires from the 3 terminals in the back of the meter, ignore the light wiring. Put the meter across the the + or I terminal and the S terminal and take a reading. Then take a reading from the Gnd to the S terminal.
    Email or call me with those two readings and I will do a check on the gauge.

My VDO gave me, 145 ohms I-S, and 370 ohms from Gnd to S. My gauge is compatible, per the factory, although I am changing it out to Gaffrig IIs as I already have them.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Can't find anything about my tank
    1982 18' 2+3

Can't find anything about my tank
    CL,

I am sure you have to have the AEP (now RDS) 55g tank from the 10/24/88 drawing that I have. I believe they used these tanks until late in '93 when RDS came out with a new drawing. The modifications from one to the other are minor. Really, all they did was slightly change the pitch of the sides.
    I did notice, the newer calls for an ID label and the older (yours) doesn't. Maybe they didn't see a need back then for the label, who knows.

Regardless, either tank works perfectly with the sender.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Bob,
    Let me know about the units. OEM fuel gauge is useless as you know reads full until the tank is empty. I keep a full tank out of fear. I am in Orlando now for an audit and returning home Thursday. Wish I had time to drop by. Mine is an 88- made in 87 so ?? BTW, The Nissan sending unit was replaced by me sometime ago so
    fear me not in the event we travel in the same direction one day ! (since been a Nissan recall) I have never forgotten your much needed assistance that day with fuel nor your boat battery extraction for the upside down jump off. Most won't understand so don't ask. Some things are best forgotten but this thread gave me a flashback. I owe you so count me in if the fit is there.
    RKILBY
    25th Anniversary
    1988 22 Classic
    1966 16' Ski Sporter

Russ,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. Next time you are town......

I need to get your gauge data to check compatibility. Make, model........we may need other data depending on the make.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Just added to the top post:
    Payment info and options for hardware and gaskets.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Smile Ordering info.

All who want one, will get one, I have no limit as to how many of these I can have made.

Notes: See PAYMENT info here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62690

Also, I added an options for hardware and neoprene gaskets. Sender comes with a cork gasket and no screw/washers. Price is $2 for hardware and $3 for the gasket. No additional shipping for these.

Please let me know: Year and type of boat and the type of gauge. Hardware, gasket, yes or no.

Order example: Sender $75, Hardware $2, gasket $3, shipping $10, Total $90. Check or paypal per other post.

I am picking up the first order today and making a second order, so send along a payment and will get these to you promptly.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for your interest and support in this endeavor.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Thread Information