Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank-corrected Fuel Sender for Classics

Bob, it's plastic. Cross linked poly per the label. John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford
    Windshields are for Sissies!!!

Sure I'll try a call. Got the number handy?

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Toll-Free: 800-361-7313

I would wait for a week or two as I just called today. Good luck.

B
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Here is repost of the original listing for those that don't want to look for the first post.

Electronic Programmed Fuel Sending Unit

As some of you know, I have been working on the programming for an electronic sending unit. The intent of the project has been to come up with one design that can be utilized in several different tank styles that have been used in certain Donzis throughout the years. In other words, these will correct for the odd-shape of the Classic’s tanks. You will get a more accurate reading throughout the range of your fuel gauge.
    Well, I have just finished working with the manufacturer on the programming aspects and am in the process of placing and order. Some pertinent info on the sender is listed below.

Information and Highlights

Continuous readout
    No field trimming
    No moving parts
    2 Terminal, no battery lead needed to the sender
    12 volt
    Compatible with most 240E/33F ohm gauges See below for list
    5 hole SAE pattern
    Gasoline only
    Water Indication, meter will peg to above full when water hits the probe
    Rugged and Reliable
    2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty

Compatible gauge manufacturers
    Datcon, Livorsi, Gaffrig (newer than 1996), OMC, Stewart Warner, Teleflex, US Gauge, Autometer (3316/3516)

VDOs are questionable. I will have to check with manufacturer. Some of VDO gauges are wired backwards from standard meters. I checked with manu last night and the 1996, 1997 VDOs should be compatible. Don't know what other years they were used. Check with me in advance and we can perform a compatibility check to verify compliance.

Incompatible manufacturers
    Westach, Gaffrig (pre-1996), Tempo, some VDOs, Rochester, Wema, Yamaha

Compatibility check
    Remove the leads from the back of your existing gauge. Ignore the wiring for the light.
    Take an ohm reading from S to the Gnd terminal. Should be 300-500 ohms.
    Take a second reading from S to + terminal. Maybe in the 50-200 ohm range.
    Get me those readings and we can check the compatibility of your gauge.

Most-Compatible Tanks
    These are not all, but the best of the tanks I have check so far. I will check any other tank if you have the dimensions or drawings. These are mostly a classic style tank with tapered sides and a varying bottom width and 9.5-11 inch depth.

Older 22, 88-93, Alum, 55g, Accuracy > 99%
    Newer 22, 93-98, Alum, 55g, Accuracy > 99%
    Newest 22, 99-??, Plastic, 52 g, Accuracy > 99%
    18C and 20C, Years??, Alum, 41g, Accuracy > 99%
    Hornet, Alum, 60g, Accuracy > 96%

Accuracy is in relation to the design curve.

Incompatible tanks
    16 and 18, 25 gallon tanks from the 70’s.

Like I said, get me some boat information, a drawing, or dimensions, and I will check to see if you tank will work. I have a limited amount of information on all the tanks throughout the years.

Comparison curves for your tank will be supplied upon request, if I have it.

Pricing
    I got the price down as best that I could with the amount that I ordered. These came in at $75.00 each, and shipping. My guess is that shipping will be about $10 for the lower 48. So, let’s call it $85.00 shipped, and be done with it. I am not in this to make money so, if this goes well, I will try to get a lower price on future orders, no promises. \

Options
    I now have some options for your convenience.
    (5) #10-32 x 1.25" Machine screws and washers for $2.00 None are included with the sender. (See note below)

Shipping
    This original will be available in 2-3 weeks from now. Not sure of the date yet.
    I will ship as soon as they become available to me.

Payment
    I will take a check or money order.
    Mail to:
    Robert Wilson
    1203 Pinar Dr.
    Orlando, FL 32825

Or Paypal. If doing Paypal, use the Personal/Other tab to send a payment to tidbitnh@yahoo.com. Funds from bank account or Paypal balance only. No credit cards, I am not paying the fees.

Any questions, call me at 321-436-5704 or email on the link under my name.

Thanks, Bob (Tidbart)

One other note, just so you know.... The machine screws that I am supplying was my best guess as to what you will need. There has been two cases that I know of where the threads were different. Those two tanks had #10-24 screws. Keep the possibility in mind. My intent was to save people a drive to the hardware store looking for the correct ones. The 1-1/4" length should be perfect, but if you need different ones and the 1-1/4" are not available, you can use 1-1/2" instead.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Bob, I couldn't get past the secretary either. I heard her punching in the S/N on her keyboard so I think she tried. She told me to try the boat manufacturer. I also tried Inca Rotomolding in CA on a hunch but they said they are no relation.

I pulled the sender and measured 6.625" from the inside of the tank to the top of the mounting flange on the gas tank itself. As for the gauges, mine are Faria.

What would be the price for an unprogrammed sender?

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

John,

You are looking at $68 shipped. This includes the gasket, hardware, and shipping. Faria gauges should work. Oops, forgot to put those on the list.

At least you will get the benefits of a centroid sender over a float sender.

Let me know soon as I am about to place an order.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Just to be sure, the unprogrammed sender wont give an accurate measure of gallons left but will provide level of fuel at the sender, correct? I wonder how much different this can be as compared to the float. Any thoughts?

John C
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Due to the shape of the tanks, the only time a float sender is accurate is at the full and the empty marks. Accuracy of the amount of fuel in the tank will vary depending on the fuel level. Most of the Classic's tanks are a semi-vee shape. If the tank was like a rectangular box it would be accurate all the time.
    See here for lots of info on how this progressed. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ht=fuel+sender

The unprogrammed sender's readings will mimic a float sender's readings. The will read full and slowly move down to about 1/2 and then quickly move to empty. The bottom half of the tank is vee shaped and doesn't hold much fuel. This is where the programming comes in. The program adjusts for the shape of the tank so as to give a more uniform reading throughout the range of the gauge.

Without the programming you are just left with the benefits of a centroid over a float. Those would be automatic full detection and damping. The damping would lessen the movement of the gauge needle as the fuel sloshes in the tank.

Also, here is post on the 16 tanks. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...ht=fuel+sender

As you can see the I made i mistake on the price. It would be $67.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

Bob, I'll be your test case for a (mostly) flat bottom 32 gal. tank in a '92 Sweet 16. I agree that the readout should be fairly accurate if the tank is truly rectangular except for the upward angled forward section. Funds should be in your account now.

John C in PA

PS: ordered 5/24/12

PPS: screws are #10x24.
    Last edited by John C in PA; 05-25-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Added info
    '
    92 Sweet 16 302 Ford

Thumbs up Nice unit !

Thank You Bob. FYI, 02 18C had 10-24 screws. Nice to know how much fuel I have on board now. No bouncy needle.......

Mike, I bet the install went easier than you thought.

Ken

Bob how is your inventory of senders? I need to order one for my 1994 22 with VDO gauges that I believe you said are compatible.

Let me know I will send a money order.

Murray Adam

p.s. the engine compartment in the other thread still looks small to me!!!

Murray,

I will have some more, hopefully next week. Order has been placed. I will give you a shout when I get them.

B

PS. Angle of the camera give a false impression.
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

FYI, my '99-22C also has 10-24 screws. (plastic tank)

Ken

Thanks Bob.

Thread Information