Thread: Z22 engine cracked

Z22 engine cracked

Can someone tell me if a auto block and a marine block are the same ? Its a Chevy 350

Yes they are.

When I had the stroker built for my Scarab I used a 1987 pickup truck block and had it converted to marine use. Pickup truck blocks are a heavier casting and stand up better to marine use. ' 87 and newer blocks are set up for roller motors. There is a site on the internet called mortec.com that has a listing of the number castings. Just get the number off the block and it tells you what you have. Hope this helps.
    I'm from an era when SBC only meant "small block chevy".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    When I had the stroker built for my Scarab I used a 1987 pickup truck block and had it converted to marine use. Pickup truck blocks are a heavier casting and stand up better to marine use. ' 87 and newer blocks are set up for roller motors. There is a site on the internet called mortec.com that has a listing of the number castings. Just get the number off the block and it tells you what you have. Hope this helps.
    mortec.com is not online....

If a block has "Only" an external freeze crack it will heal its self with salt water run through it,times of letting it dry but it will corrode shut! You can also do what is called a stitch job which requires a fair amount of drilling and tapping of the block, but it is a tries and true method! Shame to throw away something that can be fixed properly!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

I have fixed two crack on the outside only blocks with JB weld and they held for years now if its leaking internally dont think i would try it.

Thread Information