Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 290 nosecone.....what a drag

290 nosecone.....what a drag

So does anyone have any experience with nosecones on the 290 (or 270,280) drive? It seems I have hit a wall with my drive. It currently has a nosecone that was already on it when I bought the boat. After some major valve, cam and carb work, I seem to have hit a wall. Here are the numbers with different props...

27 3-blade 59 mph 4800 RPM
    22 4-blade 58 mph 5000 RPM
    23 3-blade 62 mph 5500 RPM

By my calculations and HP, I should be in the upper 60's, touching 70.

The slip is significantly increasing as I gain RPM. My nosecone is worse for wear, and I do not have noticeable hook in the hull. So I am planning on taking the nosecone off and just cleaning up the original lower unit. All I can surmise is that the nosecone shape and lack of smoothness (there is a bit of a cavity on bullet) seems to be working against me at this point.

Any thoughts out there?

My old boat had no hook at the dock or on the trailer/blocks but it had a good hook underway because the bottom and transom were so soft. How old is your boat?
    Cheers,
    Pismo
    1996 22 Classic
    Red with Stainless Windshield
    Stock Gen VI 502 Magnum MPI-415hp
    Stock Bravo I
    25" Mirage Plus
    74.5mph best @ 5050rpm GPS (Speedo said 80)
    27" Labbed Mirage Plus
    75.5mph best @ 4800rpm GPS (Speedo said 82)

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Mark, i have told you a thousand times,,,Buy a donzi and give that Halette a rest

when i did your motor i recommended changing the exhaust, i would get a set of emi's and let that motor breath a little more.. those volvo manifolds are restricting the power..after you change them then start playing with props

Sharpen the leading edge of the skeg so it can load the prop with non airated water also i took 1/2'' off the back of the skeg so the prop will load up with water better and lesson the slip..You seen my boat go so now their you have it, all my secrets are out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...ssoriesQ5fGear

what nosecone?? the solid one that blocks the water intakes on the drive or the one that doesn't cover the water intakes?? is it on straight??? is the nose cone damaged by cavitation burns???
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Water flow around the gear case can be disturbed by the damnedest things, years back I did a number on a prop by having and extra gasket on the oil drain screw. I had a burn mark that looked like it was sand blasted, it was fairly deep thank goodness it was a not to expensive prop. It ended up in the trash! I bet you will run better with the cleaned up stock nose.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    Mark, i have told you a thousand times,,,Buy a donzi and give that Halette a rest

when i did your motor i recommended changing the exhaust, i would get a set of emi's and let that motor breath a little more.. those volvo manifolds are restricting the power..after you change them then start playing with props

Sharpen the leading edge of the skeg so it can load the prop with non airated water also i took 1/2'' off the back of the skeg so the prop will load up with water better and lesson the slip..You seen my boat go so now their you have it, all my secrets are out
    You rock Mikey! Motor is still strong. Did a valve job, went up to an 850 cfm carb and put a bit taller cam. It is running great, just haven't been able to break her free. Tested a 23 bronson 3-blade today. Really liked the prop, let the heads breath a bit and got RPM up to 5500. It even let me trim it out to 10 and still had a nice set, just not much more on the top end. I am thinking it is definitely something to do with the drive holding me back. The nosecone is real beat up and the bottom of the leading bullett is very flat from rubbing on driveways from before you swapped my leaf springs up.

When you coming out to CA! Get out of that rain and humidity.

Glad to hear you are still well.

Fixxall, I will keep you posted. I am also waiting to try a few props from Grizz when he is back and able to get some out here. Seems he is on the rebound.

An 850 on a SB is not doing you any favors.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

My nose cone is a hydromotive and has the water intakes in it. I did test before and after.the install, before we had the new props and with the Ron Hill 23 and had no los just a lettle less cavitation and less wandering at idle. Now the exhaust is another story.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post

mop its a 454 bbc

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by halvecta View Post
    Fixxall, I will keep you posted. I am also waiting to try a few props from Grizz when he is back and able to get some out here. Seems he is on the rebound.

mark, send me a video of your boat running on plane,,i want to see how wet your boat is running..

Maybe I am doing something wrong my 502 has a 825 CFM, and my origional454 hasa 750 on it.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post

It is a BBC. Actually its a 750 with larger bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGrizzly View Post
    My nose cone is a hydromotive and has the water intakes in it. I did test before and after.the install, before we had the new props and with the Ron Hill 23 and had no los just a lettle less cavitation and less wandering at idle. Now the exhaust is another story.

Grizz, my nosecone is very beat up. When I bought the boat, the drive sat very low on the trailer and previous owner had scraped the drive bullett often. In fact, fixxall did a leaf swap on the trailer for me to alleviate that problem. Their is a big flat spot on the bullett bottom and the finish job on the cone is not smooth all the way to the back. There are a number of spots where air pockets could be forming on each side. Once we have it off, we will run again and then consider the Hydromotive if their is any loss.

Maybe when I get a few of your props to test, I will find the magical combo.>

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    mark, send me a video of your boat running on plane,,i want to see how wet your boat is running..

I just tested a Bronson 23 and trimmed out to 10 (had to override the limiter) on my last test. Finally got the boat to break water at the very back. It really liked the rpm, just need to work on dialing in. I think my trim indicator is too conservative, it was keeping the drive tucked in too far even at 4.

Mike, I will make a plan to do this and send it over to you. Or, you could just come on out for a race weekend and see it live.

Thread Information