Thread: Header suggestions for 454

Header suggestions for 454

Anybody got any suggestions for headers for a 454? Not for me, but a buddy of mine has a pair of 1996 454's (not sure of the Gen #) that someone is trying to sell him a set of old style CMI's. from what I have read in the mags, they say avoid the old style CMI's because of reversion problems. They say the E-tops are a much better design. What do you guys think? thanx in advance for any help,

tom
    2002 28ZX

For fraction of the cost he can get Stainless Marine Manifolds and Tail pipes that will last 10+ yrs. If they are plain ol 454's he's not going to gain anything with a true header over a SM Manifold, headers only out shine SM Manifolds when you get up over 540ci.
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

IMO headers on an unmodified engine are not much more than bling and do little to nothing for performance.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Here is the real the new and old are ok, it is just befor merc bough CMI. they did a cost down. Noe here is the e scoop, CMI the best Stainless Marine next---However On most engines Sm would be my choice.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

MOP is correct. If you don't have an engine that requires them then a set of EMI or SM perf manifolds will usually work nicely & save you some coin..

Many thanx guys! The motors are not modified, just bone stock 454's. I'll tell him to save his money and buy a Donzi next time.
    2002 28ZX

Thread Information