Thread: 89 Donzi z22 trim falls in 3 hours or so.

89 Donzi z22 trim falls in 3 hours or so.

Any ideas? Also my trim tabs work but leave oil marks on top of tabs? Any help is very thankful.

The rams are starting to weep, if the bores are Ok you can put new Orings. If they are all scratched up you will need to replace them. I am a salt rat when I haul out I make sure my tabs are full down to keep any and all water out of the bores, that helps to keep the bores from getting scratched.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    The rams are starting to weep, if the bores are Ok you can put new Orings. If they are all scratched up you will need to replace them. I am a salt rat when I haul out I make sure my tabs are full down to keep any and all water out of the bores, that helps to keep the bores from getting scratched.

Phil
    This may sound dumb but are the rams on lower unit or tabs? I am guessing they are on lower unit and there is one on each side I assume? How big of a project is that to do? Will I notice anything that confirms this is my problem? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 89 Z22 View Post
    This may sound dumb but are the rams on lower unit or tabs? I am guessing they are on lower unit and there is one on each side I assume? How big of a project is that to do? Will I notice anything that confirms this is my problem? Thanks
    Both. The rams on the tabs are clearly leaking, leaving oil. Replace the seals on the tab rams.

The rams on the drive is what you were asking about (trim). Remove the rams (one on each side of the drive) and disassemble. When you have the apart, carefully inspect all internal surfaces for scratches. If all looks good, replace the seals.

I youtube everything before I start a project. It helps a lot having someone perform the project infront of you before you ever even try to tackle it yourself. Also google an exploded diagram of your rams on both the tabs and the trim rams.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by Planetwarmer View Post
    Both. The rams on the tabs are clearly leaking, leaving oil. Replace the seals on the tab rams.

The rams on the drive is what you were asking about (trim). Remove the rams (one on each side of the drive) and disassemble. When you have the apart, carefully inspect all internal surfaces for scratches. If all looks good, replace the seals.

I youtube everything before I start a project. It helps a lot having someone perform the project infront of you before you ever even try to tackle it yourself. Also google an exploded diagram of your rams on both the tabs and the trim rams.
    Thanks I will do just that.

If the drive is not leaking oil externally than it's an internal leak in either the rams or the pump. A couple years ago I had the same problem and didn't want to just search blindly for my problem so here's what I did:

Raise the drive to the full up position. Block it up or use a jack with a block of wood to hold it temporarily. Remove both hoses from the pump, make sure the drive is blocked up or it'll hit the ground and oil will go everywhere. Join the two hoses with a inverted flare union. I got mine from the auto parts store in the brake fittings section, I forget the size. Now remove the jack. If the drive eventually falls again then the leak is in the rams. If it stays up the leak is in the pump.

My drive stayed up for days so I disassembled the pump and found a bad valve seal. Took less than 10 mins to hook it up. Saved alot of time, easier than diassembling everything.

Quote Originally Posted by brwn234 View Post
    If the drive is not leaking oil externally than it's an internal leak in either the rams or the pump. A couple years ago I had the same problem and didn't want to just search blindly for my problem so here's what I did:

Raise the drive to the full up position. Block it up or use a jack with a block of wood to hold it temporarily. Remove both hoses from the pump, make sure the drive is blocked up or it'll hit the ground and oil will go everywhere. Join the two hoses with a inverted flare union. I got mine from the auto parts store in the brake fittings section, I forget the size. Now remove the jack. If the drive eventually falls again then the leak is in the rams. If it stays up the leak is in the pump.

My drive stayed up for days so I disassembled the pump and found a bad valve seal. Took less than 10 mins to hook it up. Saved alot of time, easier than diassembling everything.
    Great way to diagnose the problem. When you disconnect the hoses at the pump, will the pump leak out the remaining fluid? Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Only a bit if I remember right. The reservoir is below the vavles.

Quote Originally Posted by brwn234 View Post
    Only a bit if I remember right. The reservoir is below the vavles.
    Perfect thanks for help.

Thread Information