Thread: Another newbe onboard

Another newbe onboard

I recently purchased a 1987 20' DONZI Minx Limited Edition (#21 of 25). Even though I've owned several larger boats in the past, I've always had a soft spot for DONZI classics to use on a small lake (river actually) here in Austin, TX. The boat has a 1997 350Mag/Alpha 1, 23p Mirage & seemed to run fine last Sunday. Since the pitot is busted so speeds were a guess...2800-3200 felt like a nice cruise speed 40-45??? and 3800 once in calmer water away from the wakeboat gang felt better, maybe 50ish aired out & perhaps a little skittish, but I need to get acclimated to a smaller low profile rig. I ran with trim up +/-1/4 and slight port tab to level things up a bit.

So far...new NGK plugs, MSD wires, MSD coil, K & N air filter kit, 25-40 Amsoil, Merc oil filter & water seperator, impeller kit, Blackfin Skeg guard (on order) to 'repair' previous skeg damage, new bow light (round Perko like original), tightened/adjusted loose items/screws, ripped out junk stereo & speakers. Former owner included new (in wrappers) front buckets and rear seat pads in white w/ black piping not original charcoal w/ red, but better in white as far as I'm concerned. The black gel coat on the hull sides buffed out quite good...the deck is shot & will be redone this winter...Imron or gel coat??? any thoughts/suggestions here? NEED SILVER OR CHOME DONZI LETTERING FOR REAR CORNERS...ANY KNOWN SOURCES???

I enjoy learning things DONZI on this site & thank you for reading & offering any advice or comments.

Thanx, Mark

Quote Originally Posted by austinmark View Post
    I've always had a soft spot for DONZI classics to use on a small lake
    That's what I thought and now I am exploring the Great Lakes with my 22. It has opened up a whole new world of boating beyond going around in circles on the local ponds. (although I still do the ponds )
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

Aquapalooza

Mark,
    Myself and three others are going to be on Travis this weekend. One is another Minx which lives on Travis. Call me and we can meet up. Would love to see the boat.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61080

Scott Ray
    409-789-6432
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

You'll be a lot happier in the Minx w/a four blade Hydromotive Q-4 15 1/2" X 22" prop. It's perfect for that boat.
    The others .....not so much.
    The Q-4 will come out of the hole real strong, never blow out, ride rock steady (other than the usual porpoising), and you can trim up to 3/4. At that point, it may start getting a little loose.

[img][/img]
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

You will love the Minx. It's a perfect blend of boat and motor. I loved mine more than any boat I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch of them. It was THE most fun boat to drive. Unlike George, I ran a 23 cleaver on it. It seemed to like it the best, and I had a slew of props to choose from.

Great boat!

Welcome to the board, and congratulations.

I spent some time in #23 of 25 last week end (1987 Minx). My friend is running a 21P prop (not a cleaver, I will have to get the make tonight).

At 3,000 rpms he is running 36 mph with 3 adults and full fuel (speedo, but it felt pretty close). WOT is 4,500 rpms and 63 mph.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Mark, welcome to the site, and have fun in Travis this weekend.....its gonna be craaaaaazy
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Check out your stringers and how old is the fuel tank?
    .........Boats are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Thread Information