Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 22 classic driving technique?

22 classic driving technique?

Hi, my dad recently bought a 22 classic. great boat but we often run into this problem where the boat really wants to go up on its side probably a little more than normal. it happens sometimes when going straight and when turning left at a more or less cruise speed. if anyone has any ideas please help us out...

Thank you

What prop are you using?
    Go sell Crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here........
    Jack Nicholson

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler22classic View Post
    Hi, my dad recently bought a 22 classic. great boat but we often run into this problem where the boat really wants to go up on its side probably a little more than normal. it happens sometimes when going straight and when turning left at a more or less cruise speed. if anyone has any ideas please help us out...

Thank you

seat time.....

welcome to the world of the donzi classic,

they all seem to do this to some extent, the 22s I have driven didn't do it but that was cause their owners have spent time to set them up right .

mainly the prop , seat time , tabs and trim all help in mastering this quirk.
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

Sounds like you are not cruising fast enough. If you drive this hull too slow, it will tend to wallow around when you turn the wheel. You really need to cruise at 35mph or faster.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

At certain trim angles a cleaver style prop will do that, both Gerge and I had that experiance. Cleavers work fine on many boats but not on our rigs.
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Quote Originally Posted by fogducker III View Post
    seat time.....
    Yeah, that. It doesn't matter how many years you have been driving other boats. When I feel my boat start to roll onto it's side I raise the drive and straighten it out. That will stop it from slamming down on it's side.
    Lake St. Clair, Lake Huron, Lake Erie, Lake Oakland

try hydromotive

My minx had the same problem. I took the advice from the forum and tried a hydromotive QIV that solved everything. It's like a new boat. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by MOP View Post
    At certain trim angles a cleaver style prop will do that, both Gerge and I had that experiance. Cleavers work fine on many boats but not on our rigs.
    came with and still has the stock Quick Silver 21P Cleaver. It works great. But, I have the 1987 22 with the raised X.

Really, is the 87 raised, or is 88 and later the lowered X (since the 87 came first).??.

I had my 302 Formula and my Minx at the same time. I took three young dudes out in the Formula one day, doing about 70, and the boys loved it. They wanted to go faster. The next day I took them out in the Minx and it rolled up on it's side and skeered the chit out of them boys. One guy told me when we got back to the dock that his ass was eating a hole in the seat. We were only doing about 50, less when we turned. You could actually sit in the back seat and put your shoulder in the water on a turn. It was the most fun boat to drive that I've ever been in, and I've been in a few. It will scare you the first time it happens, after that it is fun.

My 22 didn't roll nearly as much as the Minx, but it did roll. It's the nature of the beast, and I love it.

Thanks a lot for all the input. were slowly figuring it out it just gonna take more seat time.

Just dont make sharp turns with your trim down, and you will be fine. I usually trim up during a turn, its more efficient.

I have zero seat time in a 22 but my 18 did that when the drive was trimmed too low...

Frank
    Triple Hatch.
    It's a classic Donzi, not a Donzi Classic.

dont forget the hule was deigned in the 60s

nature of the beast as someone claimed

these babys will turn on a dime i think you could fill the cockpit in a tight turn you will learn it with time.

Thread Information