Thread: Volvo Drive how to change fluid

Volvo Drive how to change fluid

I see the lower allen to drain is the fill the larger allen just above the cavitation plate? or is it higher or i just cant see it? Also how much fluid does it hold
    thanks
    Mike

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBee View Post
    I see the lower allen to drain is the fill the larger allen just above the cavitation plate? or is it higher or i just cant see it? Also how much fluid does it hold
    thanks
    Mike

should be a slotted screwdriver in the front of the drive and you have to remove the access plate to the shift cable, then their is a big allen head plug..Fiff from the bottom up until it rund out the hole in the upper then put the plug back in and moniter the dip stick on the top of the drive until its full..they usually take 3 qts of 30 w motor oil..that would be the pol pil volvo uae to use but i still use it,,20 + years and no issues..

Don not go more than half way up on the dip stick taking the measurement from the screwed in position, it is very important to to have the air space for expansion. It is very easy to blow out the upper gear case seal over fill all drive that do not have a reservoir to allow for the expansion.

Phil
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Can anyone post pics. I see the hole to drain it at the bottom. On the back of the leg is a large allen screw is the the air bleed or nothing. Also the dipstick do you fill it there and also 90 degrees from the dipstick is another screw, is the an air bleed screw for the fill thru the dipstick?
    Mike

mrfixxall Guest

fixx

you can fill it from the top but you will have to leave it sit over night but i reccomend filling it fron the bottom up so you dont get any air bubbles in it..

first pic is behind the rear upper cover that reads volvo 270 80 90?? remove the lower phi;;ips screw and loosen the top one and the cover will come off..you will see the big allen head plug,thats where you fill it to..

second pic is the drain plug..

I remove the dipstick then drain the fluid then pump fill it from the bottom I don't fiddle with any bleed holes. it takes about 2 3/4 qts so after the second qt goes in i put the dip back in but not tightened then check it every 1/4 qt i stop when it 3/4 full on the dipstick notch then tighten the dipstick and your done
    When the sky is grey,look out to sea.
    When the waves are high and the light is dying,
    well raise a glass and think of me...
    When I'm home again,
    boys, I'll be buying!

My Ride

Come Join Us on The Queen Of American Lakes

Contact Us

www.lgdonziclassic.com

It is real simple there is a screw on the bottom forward port side of the gear case remove it and just remove the dip stick it will drain out just fine. It must be filled from the bottom hole until it contacts the dip stick. I usually pick the dip stick up about 1/2 inch and drop it, it make a metallic tickling sound until the oil comes in contact with it. If you stop filling right at that point you will find the oil level will be very close to the middle of the dip stick when screwed in that is perfect!

P.S. drive must be vertical to fill it properly!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

Thanks all now i got it!. I bought the boat and unknown the motor was popped. So i dropped another 351 in the boat over the weekend and fired it monday so now its wet sand buff and drive oil all else has been done!
    Mike

Thread Information