Thread: Limited RPM

Limited RPM

I took the 2003 18C 350/300MPI out yesterday for the 1st time since 12/09. I drained the old gas and put fresh gas in the boat, and I did this at the fuel line in the bilge. I started the boat on a remote tank so no old fuel ever touched the engine. The oil was changed along with a new cap and rotor last week. The boat starts well and pulled the kids wakeboarding without any issues. Last year the engine had previously been running at 5000 RPM wide open but yesterday it made it to 4500RPM and then fell back to just over 4000RPM at full throttle. I could feel it surging at times. I was going to put a new set of plugs in it this afernoon to see if that helps. Someone else speculated that the fuel pump may be the issue. If the plugs don't cure the problem I'd be inclined to put a new set of plug wires on it. If that doesn't cure my problem what should be the next step?
    Thanks for any advice.
    T.M. Hayes

fuel filter?
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

TPS could be bad. Read this thread:
    http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62348
    Other boat with the same type of issue.

Can't hurt to check/change the plug along with checking the wiring and boots while you are there. But my guess would not be plugs.

Bob
    Member - WAFNC
    1997 22 Classic (sold)
    1997 Formula 271 Fastech
    502 Mag MPI

I did change the fuel filter last week before going out. Thanks for the thought.
    T.M.

Thread Information