Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Single eng Z33?

Single eng Z33?

Not counting the structure mods, what are the thoughts of an 88 Z33powered by an all alumn. 800hp BBC based design w/ Bravo XR?
    HP and torque certainly won't be lacking.........

to much weight................
    2000 28ZX Scorpion SOLD
    1979 Criterion
    1986 Z29

RED/WHITE
    TWIN SBC 330HP
    ALPHA 1'S
    Mcleod design Interior

Waste. it will be a gas snorter and a drive braker. You'd need a 6 or arnoson and 1K hp to be mid 80s its a lot of boat for 1 motor and drive
    -Mike

Even if hp and torque is greater than orig 454/330hp twins?

Yup even if its more than the twins. DOnt waste your time or money. But if you are hard set on it. Go for it keep us posted would be a cool build but reliabilty of a Pinto
    -Mike

You can do it and have more reliability than a "Pinto" if you do it right. You would want 1,000 hp, IMCO SCX/SC combo and something to get the CG right.

I would not do it and I really enjoy wasting twins with my single. It would be heavy and you would probably have bow lift problems.

Somewhere in the 28-30 ft range is the limit of singles and that is with a step hull that can run flat.
    2001 35 Fountain Lightning w500 EFI's
    1973 X-18 - Merc 383 Magnum
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer with 1271 TI's

mrfixxall Guest

Fixx

its already been done, single engine but a single cummins diesel..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIMApy4ruA[/media]

Quote Originally Posted by mrfixxall View Post
    its already been done, single engine but a single cummins diesel..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIMApy4ruA[/media]
    No kidding. That is a hell of a find.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrish View Post
    Not counting the structure mods, what are the thoughts of an 88 Z33powered by an all alumn. 800hp BBC based design w/ Bravo XR?
    HP and torque certainly won't be lacking.........
    single engine tugboats have more power than that..
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

how about single engine, two drives????

A good friend of mine (i.e. in my wedding) rigged the first one of these up...

http://southernboating.com/blog/category/engine-room/

Seems like a lot of power loss from the transmission and drive boxes. As for the pinto thing id say same amout of reliability way to heavy its a drive brealer all day and a lot of strain on the engine.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BubbleBee View Post
    Seems like a lot of power loss from the transmission and drive boxes. As for the pinto thing id say same amout of reliability way to heavy its a drive brealer all day and a lot of strain on the engine.
    -Mike
    Did you read the article? I know it is just a magazine article but it at least is worth researching more when it says this:

The gears are designed so there is no real horsepower loss between the engine and the transmissions.
    Dusky has a 33, twin Bravos, single 440 Yanmar. Even with the diesel it runs over 40 MPH. http://www.dusky.com/boats/dus33d.html

I'm not saying this is the way to go but I do think it could be a viable option for repowers that won't blow the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    Did you read the article? I know it is just a magazine article but it at least is worth researching more when it says this:
    Dusky has a 33, twin Bravos, single 440 Yanmar. Even with the diesel it runs over 40 MPH. http://www.dusky.com/boats/dus33d.html
    I'm not saying this is the way to go but I do think it could be a viable option for repowers that won't blow the budget.
    Repower and budget are a contradiction in terms.

Quote Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
    It would work. Not cheap but would work.

IMCO makes a splitter like that as well. Tex looked into them. They work well but are LOUD (at least IMCO's).

As far as the Pinto comment. I still disagree and can back it up. You could take the engine out of my ZX, drop it in paired up to a SCX upper / SC lower combo and it will live. Heck, I push around 7,000 lbs through a beefed up XR with big power and have friends with big blown 1,000's on 38's and their stuff lives.

Overall, a couple of drop in big blocks mated to Bravo's is still the answer though. Building a big single does not come cheap.

How about 5 Merc 300 outboards!!!!

I guess the Midnight Express already has 5 outboards, so you better make it 6.

Now THATS reliability!
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Thread Information