Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpha owners want to go faster?

Alpha owners want to go faster?

want to go faster with a alpha drive? Check out this new site i found RLCBoats.com. I ordered one of these drives for my 18 classic i have a 383 400hp and this drive will be 3 1/4 inches shorter.My stock drive was 7 5/8 below the bottom of the boat.I was running 73 mph with the stock drive so it will be interesting to see what my gains are when i get this drive back and put on.I will post results when i get my boat back in the water.My goal is the big 80 mph

Think you'll reach tripppple digits with this drive??
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Thanks for posting that site. That is VERY interesting to me as I am still debating to go with a new Bravo upgrade or stay with an Alpha. Just out of curiosity, what did you d for the water pump? Will you have to add a transom water pick up?

I'm wondering if this drive would work on the mid 80s 22Cs with the raised X.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

it uses the same water pump.the upper case is were it gets shortened the bottom case stays the same.as far as the 22 with higher x-dimension it depends on how high you want to go.it would work fine and you should see pretty nice gains i cant wait to get mine on and get some results for you guys

nobody to our knowledge has done this spec drive on an 18 hull yet... I would be VERY leary of being the first on the dock here...
    you are in uncharted waters here, there is some extra setback you gain over the SS drive, and the SS is 2 3/4" shorter, so if this Trippledigits drive is 3 1/4" shorter you are losing a ton of trim leverage... the testing that RLC did was on a pad bottom Kevlar Velocity hull and a pad Stingray hull AFAIR...
    Charter Member - WAFNC, SBBR, KWOSG
    1955 Perfect Mate
    1986 Hornet III, 502-415 TRS

www.donzi.org

Besides what Buiz said tread very carefully with this guy.

I asked some very specific and pointed questions about what he did to shorten the stock alpha and I got nonsense as a response.

The guy got run out of here, OSO, and pretty much all the performance boating forums out there because of his nonsense.

I'm not saying they are bad, just saying to do research and be careful because you'll be a front runner in this deal.

kind of pricey at $7k

BTW when he did finally show up at a OSO gathering he pulled 84 mph and that was it. the boat has a 22 degree bottom with a pad. Yours is a 24 degree and round bottom REMEMBER there is a thing as too short. Also that prop is nothing special it is the old Ron Hill chopper prop at least a 20 year design.
    Randy owner of Donzis since 1966
    High Performance props 3, 4, and 5 blade. Turbo and Stainless Steel props. Props for old Volvo drives.
    The reason congressmen try so hard to get re-elected is that they would hate to have to make a living under the laws they've passed.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE51 View Post
    kind of pricey at $7k
    That's what I thought, especially when compared to the new lower prices of the Bravo units.
    RickS-E

Quote Originally Posted by Mckillop View Post
    Thanks for posting that site. That is VERY interesting to me as I am still debating to go with a new Bravo upgrade or stay with an Alpha. Just out of curiosity, what did you d for the water pump? Will you have to add a transom water pick up?
    An Alpha is always faster than a Bravo. Less drag. I wouldn't hesitate to put 400 hp in front of an Alpha.

Again, the problem with this whole mess was never about Alpha vs Bravo, shorty vs not, or horsepower ratings...

It's about the hype without proof. He may be able to hit 200mph with an Alpha for all I care. He just has to show up and prove it to someone.

He never has, and now he's selling an unproven product for $7k...
    1988 Minx / Testarossa edition
    1965/6 Ski Sporter 351W/Eaton (doesn't run)

Jesus! For 7K, you could have some motor work AND a Black Hawk installed!!!!
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Woohoo my new drive is shipping in the next couple of days. I cant wait to get it on and run my boat and get some numbers for everyone. I should be boating next week sometime and will be breaking in the drive with the family.Once i get some time on the drive then i will take it out by myself to see where it is with the prop that i have that i ran last year.The drive im getting has fat shafts bigger bearings hd gears its the best and beefiest drive you can get. It is acually going to be an inch shorter than i originally planned on i did go with the low water pickup and i cant wait to get this drive on my boat and see what it will do.Rich has been so helpful through this build he has answered all my questions and has made changes that i wanted after the original order.I didnt want the low water pickup at first but i got to thinking and decided to just do this once and go for the big dog and get the best drive that i could otherwise i would have done it down the road.now i dont have to worry about anything

new outdrive

Sounds pretty confident, doesn't he? Hope all goes well but in reality nothing rarely does, or is just a bolt-on and go situation. Best of luck!

Thread Information