Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Superflush system for salt water boats?

Superflush system for salt water boats?

Has anyone had experience with the Superflush system, if so whats your opinion? Since I'm on the gulfcoast of Florida, I will be running 99% in saltwater. This is my first I/O (always had OB's) and want to keep corrosion at bay as well as possible.

http://superflushsystems.com/mil.htm

Just hook up a garden hose. That's how I've done it for 20 years. I took one engine apart that was 22 years old, and it showed no sign of corrosion. You can put some dishwashing liquid in the hose. When it quits bubbling, you know it's been completely flushed. You have to be anal about flushing it, but as far as some super duper flush unit, I'm telling you it's a waste of money.

10 4, I've always thoroughly flushed my engines, even at 3 am after tarpon fishin, though the neighbors weren't so enthused, 200 Black Max crankin up!!! lol some people just have no sense of adventure I tell ya.

Salt Away, I beleive the company/product is out of CA...?

+1 on Salt Away. stuff really works.

You can do as you please, but I'm telling you there is no need to use anything but fresh water. That's banking on 40 years of salt water boating.

Ditto on just plain water, when I tore into my 15 year old Formula's engines they were in great shape in the water jackets with only religious plain water hose flushing! As long as cast iron is kept wet it stays in good shape, let it dry out and that is a totally different story!
    No matter what your beliefs are "GOD BLESS AMERICA"

Fully retired marine tech near 60 years in the biz.

ditto on the plain water ... what in the world is in "salt away" that would make salt more soluble? sorry, i just don't get it .... i can sell you some special water that is more liquid than regular water!

I have also boated for over 40 years in salt water, flushing with fresh water is good and removes "most" of the salt build-up, but not all.

I opened up the Scorpion when changing the exhausts and thermostat housing and misc other things, there was a build-up of white salt crystals in numerous areas, and that is after flushing EVERY single outing...........I was told about Salt-Away so I closed up the engine as is and tried it ONCE...........opened up the thermostat housing and there was NO salt crystals left in the seat, thermostat or any where........I do not know the active ingredients but I do know it works BETTER then just fresh water, which also works and is far better then not flushing at all. I also use diluted Salt Away to wash down the outside of the engine and it also removes the fine salt build-up.

The way I look at it is a couple of bucks extra to flush some additional salt out of the engine is by no means a bad thing or a waste of time...

Quote Originally Posted by RPD View Post
    ditto on the plain water ... what in the world is in "salt away" that would make salt more soluble? sorry, i just don't get it .... i can sell you some special water that is more liquid than regular water!
    http://www.saltawayproducts.com/

Explains the product.........

i flushed with plain water for years and had no problems, but that was outboards where in they drain out excess when done. my concern is build up of salt in an engine block that holds water for the length of time between runs, if salt-away neutralizes the salt then thats great. i'm sure length of time flushing has lots to do with it, some may flush for 5 minutes others may for 20. i played in the salt marshes for years on 3 wheelers and trucks, no matter how long you pressure washed the under side you can never get all the salt off, hence ending up with a pile of rust in a few years. that being said i'm spending alot of time and money putting together my 16 and if a few extra steps to prevent corrosion then i'm all for it!!!!!!

saltaway sounds like a mild acid ....

I'd be dead and buried before an engine rusted out when flushed with fresh water. Maybe some Evian water.

Quote Originally Posted by RPD View Post
    saltaway sounds like a mild acid ....
    It is. Sulfamic acid if I remember correctly.

Anyone who has ever just rinsed a boat off with fresh water knows that there is some salt that stays behind. If you rinse a boat off with salt away there is zero salt left behind.

The stuff works. Sulfamic acid + salt turns into something else. A chemical reaction occurs, so any remaining salt is neutralized and flushed out of the engine.

There is another product that is similar in ingredients that allows you to flush the boat while in the water. Yes... the stuff actually works so good you can flush your engine with salt water and it neutralizes the salt. The system is actually built in to the boat and switch operated. If I find a deal on one I wouldn't mind installing it for anytime the boat stays in the water overnight.

I started an organic chemistry class today. Ill ask my prof tomorrow what would neutralize salt and its effects on metals. It would have to be something that dissociates the sodium and chloride, or binds to one of the molecules and keeps the reaction between the metal and salt from occurring.

It could be something simple and cheap, like acetic acid (vinegar).
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Thread Information