Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your fishing of choice

Your fishing of choice

I've been getting back into fishing over the past year or so, and I was pondering the other night the question "What is your favorite type of fishing".

Well, plenty of things crossed my mind for myself; Though I've done lots of different types of fishing, I must confess, I've never gotten into fly fishing, though I am going to pick it up soon, so that eliminates that.

I've done plenty of bottom fishing with dead bait, off shore along wrecks, or in the river around pilings, or different bottom structure with medium to light tackle,.... analysis OK

Trolling with heavy tackle offshore with ballyhoo, etc., which is GREAT, the absolute pounding of the bait by the fish is incredible, and the fish fight like mad.

I've fished lures with great success for Reds, Blues, Seatrout and freshwater Bass, etc. Again, the attack of the fish is absolutely awesome, it's interesting to see how mangled the lures get, some of the Rapalla skitterwalkers / etc. with paint banged off of them, or the rubber lures that look like a piece of ground beef after being hit, etc.

My favorite though, is fishing live bait with light or medium tackle. I've always like the prospect of bringing in the biggest fish on the lightest tackle - a true fisherman has to fight the fish, a mutual respect develops between prey and predator, knowing that if you pull too hard, or try to rush it, he's going to snap your line and laugh at you. Or the fact that they have the upper hand; I was once hooked into a big tarpon (probably in the 150lb range), it was peeling line off the reel like there was no tomorrow, and he got me hung on a reef, and it was all over, fish 1, fisherman 0.

So I pose to all you fishermen, put some serious thought behind it, and let me know what your favorite style of fishing is. It may not be your most successful, or the one that you do the most, but your all around favorite.

Wayne
    1967 Ski Sporter Bench Seat Project Boat

Tact - The ability to make a point without making an enemy.

Wayne, I'd have to say offshore bill fishing was the best for me.
    Nothing like a Calcutta party the night before you head out at 4am to cruise 150 miles just to hit blue water by 7. Then troll 5 lines all day and maybe get a few hits. BUT when you get a solid hit, it is a rush. I've brought in many sail fish and 3 blue marlins. Funny thing: Every time I caught a blue, Willey Nelson's "Poncho and Lefty" was on the radio. No lie.
    But I got tired of the time and expense of having a big boat and now just do trailer boat stuff.

I bet Ol' Jefe has some words to share.
    Last edited by txtaz; 05-23-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    Da Taz
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary will get you every time."
    Wes

Wes,

I've never caught a blue, and just a couple of sails, but you are right, same with the Tuna,.... when you get a SOLID hit, man what a rush. I also agree with you though, the fuel bill, and the long run times are the biggest downers.

When I was a kid, I started fishing in the Kingfish tournaments, similar fishing style with out running out as far. One year we finished with 3rd best aggregate, and 3rd largest king. Our biggest king that year was 65lbs,... impressive,... I think the largest that year was under 68lbs, so the top 3 were pretty damn close,... some BIG kings that year

Anyway, we did all of that on a 19' center console, a far cry from the 28' + boats common on the tours these days lol

Anyway, thanks for you input, I have a feeling that the offshore big game may be the #1 answer

Wayne

Words to Share Wes?

No secret I like to fish and the offshore game is my thing, y'all pegged it for me YellowFin Tuna...the fight, the excitement, the big runs. I've never been a big bill fisher, so Tuna is the game I like. The me against him, one serious predator against another, the tackle, the rigs, the strain and pain, and WILL.......oh and the meat is pretty good too

All that being said, I gre up wading for Specs under popping corks with live shrimp. Life does not get any simpler than that, and the last year or so, a more simple life is appealing to me.

I guess I love it all, and thank God eveyday that He allows me as many opportunities that He does to do it.

Let's go Fishin'
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Fishing Dolphin is hands down the most fun I have fishing. Troll for a while, hit a school, wear yourselves out...... then the mandatory fish dinner that happens later. It's "party fishing" and I have yet to anyone have a bad time doing it (unless they were brutally sea sick...)

Other than that... these days there are so many frikkin rules I don't dust the rods and reels off much anymore.

Jefe / Vette,

I must say that the offshore game is a very close 2nd for me, as you mentioned, the Tuna can definitely put a hurtin' on you, as will a school of Dolphin. We'll probably be hitting some dolphin some time this year, but I'm really looking forward to the Tarpon run again this year.

All in all, for me, it's about the fight, predator and hunter locked in what will end up a bitter sweet battle. Bitter for one, sweet for the other.

I just saw an episode of the Cabella's show (I think it's come fish with me), where they pick someone out of a store to go fishing, and they flew this guy to central america I think it was for a yellowfin trip, amazing.

The show right after that had a spot on Tarpon fishing in Boca Grand pass in Fl, woman landed a 218lb tarpon after over 3 1/2 hours.

Again, two examples of excellent battles.

Wayne

Fishing for Specs does it for me! Artificial only is my game.

Caught these last Tuesday just south of Corpus Christi on the Laguna Madre casting to pot holes on the flats....

Jeff We need to talk specs and artifical bait
    Capt. D.J. "Jefe" Reid -- RIP Big Grizz..and MOM
    '98 30ZF - Jefe's Revenge, '07 250 E-Tecs
    Founder/Co-Captain (South Region) - Donzi RED Bikini Crew
    "Revenge is a Dish Best Served...Wet"
    www.facebook.com/Team.Jefe

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post

Caught these last Tuesday just south of Corpus Christi on the Laguna Madre casting to pot holes on the flats....
    Nice Catch!

There is some great flats fishing here in the Indian River where you can hook up on some nice Trout or Snook,

What's you're color? Funky Monkey? Bass Assassin?

Anyway, again, nice catch, thanks for sharing

Wayne

Jefe,

It's best to talk fishing for specs over a cold alcholic beverage!

I presume that would be on the schedule for Saturday? and then we can discuss!

Jeff

Onesub... color of the day was bone!

My son and his buddy, however, caught 'em good Friday at the gas wells in Aransas Bay using none other than... "chicken on a chain"... never heard of that one, but they swear that is what they call it.

Onesub... color of the day was bone!

My son and his buddy, however, caught 'em good Friday at the gas wells in Aransas Bay using none other than... "chicken on a chain"... never heard of that one, but they swear that is what they call it.
    LOL,..

I love the names they are coming up with for this stuff,.... sounds like some of the exotic paints I use in some of my R/C stuff

I'm just getting into the artificials, unfortunately, time restraints keep me from fishing as much as I would like to, and I think it'll look funny when I'm done restoring my boat, fishing from it, though it will be good in the flats lol.

If you ever make it to Florida, shoot me a P/M, I'd love any excuse to get out and wade the flats for some fish

Wayne

http://www.banditlures.com/upload/file232_03.gif

This kills them in Port Mansfield. Made by Bandit Lures. We used to call it "Secret" I know what ur thinking. Try it!
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

That looks like a bass lure... do you get hung up with that?

Oh, I see, no hooks!?!

That looks like a bass lure... do you get hung up with that?

Oh, I see, no hooks!?!
    It is and thats why it is or was a secret. Very shallow lip. Hooks are not sporting!

You got to get the right one though.
    Thanx,
    SCOTT R.

Thread Information