Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

I have been thinking of how to secure the hatches when closed. Kind of makes you go a bit crazy searching for hardware. Hopefully anyone who is searching for latches stumbles onto this build thread ........
    Attached Images Attached Images

And more .........

Some more progress on the hull. I'd like to set up a clamp down anchor hold ahead of bulkhead #1...........

And here is the start of the rumble seat build up .........

And some prep for the deck's future installation .............beefing up the top of the hull sides to accept mechanical fasteners.

Great....thanks Greg. It's not like i didn't have enough to think about in starting my restoration......and then you have to throw all these ideas in my head. And...you have #63 and I have #67....Very nice job your doing.
    C16B67 My "baby"
    2012 World Cat 320EC 4.2L V6 F300 Yamahas

Thanks Carbo, not sure where it will all end up but so far so good. This past week Clint's team added the outside knees to finish off the internal transom tie in. I wanted the tie in to include a horizontal cross in the design as I suspect I'll be airborne every now and then like I am in pic below. I like to be able to make the hull do what I want, when I want......so strength is the top priority of the project. I also wanted to close the splashwell. With today's O/B's being heavier it seems like the factory splashwell drain holes let water in and the well gathers a lot of dirt so we'll try a different approach. Here are a couple of pics...............

Greg, After looking at your transom knees it looks like it should hold a 300X with no problem !!! "HIGH LIFE"

Thanks HIGH LIFE, even I don't have the brass _ _ _ _ _ for a 300X! That beast makes 330HP at the prop!

I am still struggling with where to locate the gas tank. It is pretty interesting when you dig up old photos of OB Baby's at rest and look at the water line as it relates the hull sides. It really shows how high the factory boats sit at rest with the factory gas tank all the way forward of the drivers bucket seat. We are going to take a new CofG look this week with the deck on and see where it ends up versus the first one of the hull only. Based on the results, we may have to move some sandbags around to see what the various effects of weight shift are. I am really determined to get the best balance we can. You can check out the thread titled Balancing the BOAT??????? for some additional discussion on the topic. For a little boat like Surface Tension, balance is a lot more important then it is for the longer hulls. The above thread got a bit confrontational but still some good information. This piece will be critical as I got back the information from "The Scientist" and we will soon be tackling the hull bottom soon with the possibility of extending the inner strakes

In the search for balance, take a look I found these pics interesting. Of course, Parnell (aka "The King") shows what the proper angle of attack should look like. There is a reason he is in the 80mph Club.....running flat and rippin fast

Hardly a king but I was moving pretty fast there.
    Greg Its interesting watching all the investigating you are doing on this. I know its been discussed on here before but running flat does give you a more stable ride in chop which is what everyone boats in most of the time. Yours is a very fun project to watch. Have you said what motor you are installing?
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

BTW Greg I don't know if you ever saw the video I posted last year running in 1-2 foot waves in Lake Michigan My boat ran very flat then and the bow never went sky ward. I think thats what Rootsy was talking about in the post George made in your other thread. I think people give too much credence to lightest weight possible is the fastest possible. Setup is more important and it looks like you are doing the work
    Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Yep!
    Race boats have bow water ballast tanks for a reason.
    Interesting project Greg.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thanks George, if I can ever make a choice on tank location and size I'd really appreciate your expert opinion on a few things. Parnell, I did see the video and your hull is landing straight and even on that run. The ideal attack angle is 5ish degrees so in my opinion, flat is where it's at I am wondering if that super long tank of yours helped? Rootsy (seller of magic prop) returned my pm and he did NOT ever change his inner strakes on his 16 so I was mistaken. His hull was factory stock as your 16 is Parnell. On the other hand, Ed D (see pic 1) put in the pad, notched it, and elongated the inner strakes right to the transom he said in his quest for the big 100mph figure. As a rat 'a tat tat I will be short a couple hundred horsepower LOL on all you guys so I'll need all the help we can muster. We decided to start with the attached pad (pic 2) while we figure out the full approach. I am swaying toward a dual height pad as shown in pic 3 and possibly stretch the inner strakes by 6". "The Scientist" approves of the dual height pad but is not so keen on my strake idea. The other option is install a delta pad like pic 4 For fun, we lay down the factory grab rail on the deck and it lines up pretty darn well

So, what/whose hull is that in picture 4???
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thread Information