Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Ideally, here is where the floor mounted "glove box" might line up. In front of it would be a larger floor storage locker and then behind it might be the 5th bulkhead and the gas tank from 33" to perhaps 60" instad of 68" ??

(sidebar) one of the great things with this site, is it allows you to publish and sort out your strategy as you roll through a project like this. Thanks to the owner for that. Helps a LOT !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I may also regret not lowering the bench seat height. Clint and I have been emailing on it and one of the possible solutions is to take the storage locker that would have been under the bench seat, and stretch the length. We would then sacrifice the storage aspect, but sink down the seat base to add some height and support to the seat back. I thought about doing the upholstery in such a way that it would be higher then the deck, but I am trying to maintain a "factory" look and smooth lines. I think I can use the existing leading edge of the bench in place and use it as for more thigh support which might be more comfortable?

Here is the original deck before we decided to make the project much different ............

And here are three shots of the flipped deck after the jigsaw puzzle of the Bench Seat concept began to come together............all the balsa core was removed and replaced with divinicyl(sp). The 16's had cored decks but no coring in the hullsides. We decided to remove all the core and do it right and for strength.

Holy Cow!

I have never seen a project of this magnitude come together so fast! Did you secretly have this project completed, and you took pictures of it along the way, so you can post them in rapid fashion?

Astounding progress. You are worthy!
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

While all this is going on, I am still really struggling with gas tank placement and size. With very few 16 OB Baby's out there to begin with, there are even fewer that have moved the OEM gas tank. I keep digging up photos to see where the water line is at rest. Here are shots with gas tanks that are in the OEM location, which often seems to start just IN FRONT of the cockpit floor locker. The 4th shot is of a splash hull from Canada but it gives a good feel for waterline. The 5th photo is of a Baby with a 32 gallon fuel tank mounted 13" forward of the transom. It is 3/4 full in the photo. Then the last photo is of a converted 16 I/O with a bracket.

There will be three OB engine choices possible for this project, and respective weights will be either 375, 395, or 419, all certainly heavier then back in 1974 when standard factory power would have been a Mercury 115 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    Holy Cow!

I have never seen a project of this magnitude come together so fast! Did you secretly have this project completed, and you took pictures of it along the way, so you can post them in rapid fashion?

Astounding progress. You are worthy!
    Amazing progress in 4 minutes

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Yes, some of the project was "in the can" as they say and just never got around to laying out the dialogue and photos. Still a ton to do though.

Another thing that I had to plan for was needing good weather to run the test mule which helps with the choices that will get applied to Surface Tension. In the meantime, in the spirit of Back to the Future, lets clean up the deck after Stage 1 ..............

I started to use some of my very crude drawing skills to mock up a visual on the rumble seats. The Critter's came in pretty handy for this as you see in the pics below ..........

Not sure I fully understand where the gel coat rubbing would occur, but could you not install a couple thin rubber bump stops where they wouldn't be seen when the hatch is closed? On the hatch, where it contacts the bump stops, you could mount small SS plates (similar to the ones Donzi uses as backing plates for the engine hatch rams on the classics).
    Why is faster never fast enough.

Yeller, we have gone back and forth on how to handle the hatches. One idea was to use SS channel to slide the hatches down into, with side pins as the guide. The underside of the hatch will be cushioned and act as the "seatback" when in the open position. I was also trying to figure out if I could hinge the hatches but that does not seem possible right now. When the hatches are open, the finished gelcoat top will be resting against the deck. I think I am going to go for a simple approach, that we are working on.

Here is a little sidebar ...........It looks like this was posted on 1-08-07 by olredalert;

Steven,,,

------I was a dealer back in the early 70s and ordered two 16 eggbeaters. To my knowledge they were only available in white with either blue, red, or yellow trim. I may be forgetting one other. Interiors were all white. Now, its possible that special orders could have been made but John C told me at the time that they were trying to keep special orders down on the eggbeaters as options on them were a pain in the butt to implement..........Bill S

After some back and forth, I decide on 25" x 25" hatches and the cutting begins .............

The idea is for the rumble seats to be for the kids on the occasional cruise, but we want to get a feel for the scale of the seats. Not sure, but it looks like we may have given a little too much space to the front bench with a 42" dimension from dash to seat back. I wanted to leave a lot of room for thick upholstery.........we shall see

Thread Information