Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Why a wacker? Like most folks it has to do with past memory's and a general back to the future theme for the project

At this point it becomes clear that I neither have the time or the expertise to actually take the project forward, so I enlist the services of a master fabricator who shall remain nameless for the moment. Suffice to say that there will be a LOT of cooperation and communication to progress the concept. Should be a lot of fun. Not up to par with some of the incredible stuff done on this board but all of those provide a good dose of inspiration

But first ............off with its head !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The donor's foil tag ..........16 Baby (Outboard) Hull #63 - 1972

This little sidebar foil ID session generated a spirited set of posts under the post title -Help Identify This Donzi Hull

In the Mid 70's Brownie bought us a 16' Manta, It's Basicly a 16 Donzi bottom with minute changes to the deck, we allways had a 90hp Merc 6cyl on it and it went mid 50's. when we got rid of it(around 1980) a guy bought it and put a 2.4 Merc on it, It was He!! on water, went high 70's and handled like a dream. the outboard versions aren't all bad, some are Very fun/tough/memorable boats....I could go on and tell stories about it (but Brownie may read this )
    WTF, Over.....WTF, 10-4.....

If "Brownie" is who I think it is CrewCab, that is pretty cool

I took some additional inspiration from this ad for what might have been the nicest 16 OB Baby ever restored. It is cruising somewhere in Canada now but has never been located again.

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:08 PM
    To: Guimond, Greg
    Subject: RE: Donzi 16 OB

You are right, but I wanted to keep it original. I sold it for 22K

30 gal. Fuel tank ( new ).Full canvas cover plus Cockpit cover.Ritchie compass. Sea Star HI PERF. Hydraulic Steering with hi-performance Hydraulic hoses by Mayfair Products. Bennett trim tabs system. Accon recessed bow light and popup cleats. Windline removable transom ladder. Bluewater electrical switches. Marine upholstery by Miami Prestige July 2002. Glass work and Awlgrip paint job by A-1 Fiberglas works July 2002. Burl wood Instrument panel by Ultra Panels. Matching steering wheel. All electrical cables replaced with Ancor copper conductors tinned marine grade 105-C (UL) July 2002. All fasteners were replaced with Phillips Stainless Steel 18-8 grade fasteners in July 2002. Sea volt deep cycle AGM battery and Gil battery box. T-H Pro HI-JACKER Jack Plate. Full U.S.C.G. Safety package.

TRAILER
    2002 Continental trailers, customized features , Aluminum with S/S Hardware.

ENGINE
    135 H.P. Mercury Optimax (new) including Mercury Marine extended warranty totaling 5 years to the buyer. SmartCraft system instrumentation--- 23" PITCH Laser II propeller

PERFORMANCE
    Top End : 5500 RPM. Speed 54 MPH.
    Cruising : 4000 RPM. Speed 40 MPH.
    Fuel Consumption: WOT. 9.6 GPH---AT 4000 RPM. (cruising) 4.4 GPH.

Price ----------------------------- $ 19,500.00

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT: FRANK MEDINA
    DAY TIME PHONE---( 954 )
    HOME---------------( 305 )
    E-MAIL---------------marine.com

Baby 16

Greg, you should remove the windshield, for less wind resestince ! We should get together some day and compare boats. HIGH LIFE

Thanks Walt for the kind words but any part from GEOO is not just magic but mythical!

High Life, that windshield is long gone but the windshield was a factory option as shown in the photo below-

Hull restoration begins. Ground and reinforced strakes, reinforced bottom with slight alteration New transom installed with 1 1/2"" Coosa and 1/2" XL marine plywood from Greenwood Industries.

In go new stringers and bulkheads ..........and the hulls sides get strengtheners glassed in. We also added a little something extra in the keel

As the project progresses, I start to think about overall balance and cg so for kicks we throw a sling under the bare hull to see what the cg on the hull alone is. Also, given the heavier motors that are the norm today versus 38 years ago I get some photos from fellow board members of a Baby or three at rest with modern power. Here is board member RPD's at rest in pic #2 and then an unknown OB hull in pic #3.

And here is Andy D's that he swapped out OMC V4 power for big Mercury 225X power. He has the stock gas tank location up front and the weight of a jackplate which I think is another 40lbs.

Andy generated a lot of discussion under the post titled - Donzi 16 OB Horsepower Questions -check it out.

Here is the start of the reinforcement of the new transom, single knee and lateral first. Later we will add two additional stringer knees. I also want to modify the splashwell so we do an overlay of the deck to eyeball the possible options for later in the build.

We turn back to the hull bottom. All of these decisions become a compromise in one way or another but giving serious thought to blueprinting the stock bottom. Here it is stock ...........

I think more and more the 16 bottom was worked on and modified sometime along the way even before the stop in production
    those inner strakes look much longer then the ones on my 16.

I have a list of questions including that one for Walt Walters when he comes to the dustoff. He was the key designer of the 16 and most of Don's early boats.

might not be a bad idea for you to get up to the dustoff Greg

you can clearly see the difference in the strakes here they end way more than 22 inches from the transom.
    Greg what year is that 16 you last posted on the straps and what hull number?
    have you confirmed your inner strakes are the same measurement? the air born one looks more like the pic i posted

I didn't measure mine, but you can see they end almost 4' before the transom.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Quote Originally Posted by Just Say N20 View Post
    I didn't measure mine, but you can see they end almost 4' before the transom.

Bill ,
    same as mine, same as the brochure boat I would be interested in sweet cheeks that is the latest production skisporter I know of being a 79.

I would also be interested in the measurement on a baby 16. The one pic Greg posted the air shot looks like it is from the guy in the Caribean who has a mid 1980's donzi 16 outboard NOT! but I can't confirm that is the boat in the pic.

I have noticed that when Donzi "stretched" a design they lengthened the inner strakes to about 2 feet from the transom

18 and 22 from the 16
    hornet II and III from the hornet

another question for Mr Walters

Thread Information