Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Still poking around for good cleat options and found these three that are certainly a bit different. I also ordered the Wichard 6506 transom hardware which should be in next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I also mocked up the three options for latches along with the "take apart" hinges stuck on a panel so I can eyeball one versus the other.

Those X-cleats are bizarre. Interesting, but bizarre. The latches look good.

The fender stowage setup is pretty cool. FWIW, I think the reason the smaller pins have the same size tie-ring as the Cobalt pins is just because the tie-ring is sized based on being able to tie a certain size line through it easily. Even so, I agree they should be a little smaller.
    "I don't have time to get into it, but he went through a lot." -Pulp Fiction

We made some progress last week toward getting a proper color match for the factory color "Yuma Yellow" which I like. There are several boats of the Yuma color, in various states of fade that I found. SanDogDewey was also good enough to send me a photo of his 16's non faded battery cover. Thanks!

I initially thought I had a dead on match but when Clint sent me the spray outs it was not a match. Very close to the Mini-Craft sample but no Cigar. Here is the sample. I want to preserve Yuma Yellow if I can.

I'm getting together a number of hull examples that had the Donzi Yuma Yellow gel color and will take another run at a match next week.

I like the 1st and 2nd latches.....
    Are the square color samples/coupons paint?
    For some reason, paint has been tough to match to gel.
    I have a lot of painted hardware on the TR, from two
    different MFGRs, and none of it matches perfectly.
    You just can't see the differences on different parts.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by gcarter View Post
    I like the 1st and 2nd latches.....
    Are the square color samples/coupons paint?
    For some reason, paint has been tough to match to gel.
    I have a lot of painted hardware on the TR, from two
    different MFGRs, and none of it matches perfectly.
    You just can't see the differences on different parts.
    Yes George, the round disc is polished Yuma Yellow gel coat while the two squares are paint. I changed my approach and now we are doing the entire top and cockpit in white gel but decided to paint the hull sides and bottom in Yuma Yellow. The boat pictured below isn't Yuma Yellow but it gives an idea. I don't think I'm going to do a boot stripe to make the look a little more old school.

Hmmmmm.......I always considered boot stripes "REALLY" old school.
    They've been around at least several hundred years.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Several hundred years? Maybe for blow boaters! I guess it's subject to preference.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do but I'm thinking that a boot stripe disrupts the visual flow of a little 16 resto rod. But then again so does 80mph. I could also add it easily after the fact. So far I like solid.

I gathered up a bunch of photos of Donzi's (including Sam's 14 Baby) that had "Yuma Yellow" to help us get a feel for the color. I wonder what Yuma was named after? Only Brownie probably knows.

Yuma is a bright yellow, which I like. When I spoke to Mini-Craft they had a hard time digging up the color. Ferro was the original supplier for "Yuma Yellow" back in the day. Unfortunately Ferro Gel Coats was sold to A. Schulman Inc. and all the records were lost in the sale. Of course even if you find a Yuma Yellow Donzi they are not exactly showroom new. Yellow probably fades just a touch better than Lucan Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I gathered up a bunch of photos of Donzi's (including Sam's 14 Baby) that had "Yuma Yellow" to help us get a feel for the color. I wonder what Yuma was named after? Only Brownie probably knows.
    Just guessing that Yuma yellow came from Yuma gold which is still popular to prospect for in Yuma, AZ.

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Several hundred years? Maybe for blow boaters! I guess it's subject to preference.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do but I'm thinking that a boot stripe disrupts the visual flow of a little 16 resto rod. But then again so does 80mph. I could also add it easily after the fact. So far I like solid.
    Whatever....
    There have been mechanically driven boats in existence since the early 19th century.
    Right at 200 years anyway.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    Just guessing that Yuma yellow came from Yuma gold which is still popular to prospect for in Yuma, AZ.
    Hmmm ......... good guess Bill. Kind of a yellow gold play on words. I did not know that Yuma AZ was a place to pan for gold.

Where did the smaller ones come from?

Where did you get the smaller clips from? You could mount another base where you stow the fenders and insert the loose end there while underway. It would also jeep the fender secure in the holder.
    Thanks in advance,
    Bert

Agree, storage is always a problem in a tiny boat. I anticipated that and have the storage for the two fender-pin bumpers figured out under the rear transom hatches. These will take a fat 5" diameter bumper. You do make a good point about fender clips banging around when stored underway. I think I'll just use the corner braces and drill a hole in there to clip in the pins. I added these corners specifically to give me a mounting point for whatever might arise. The smaller pins are kind of odd. They have the same size dock line circle as the Cobalt pins. They should have made them smaller to match the pins IMO instead of copying the other.
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Another option for you...check this site.

Here is a great site for unusual hardware. I have purchased vents from them and they are first class.
    Check it out. http://www.italianmarinesupply.com/
    I have far too many boats, just ask my Wife.
    If you have something of great quality, and you take care of it, it will last forever.
    Never Economise on Luxuries

Bert, that is a cool site. Thanks for posting the link.

Here are your options for fender clips. Pay attention to the details as some look the same but are not. Also, the quality of the SS varies widely on each. The Seasmart products are very innovative. I know there "guy" in Italy if that is of interest to you. Actually as I post this, I bet your Italian hardware company can get that product.

http://www.seasmart.it/en/catalogo/prodotti+standard/1/1/24.aspx Italian Company. Metals are 316 and also Nitronic.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-73986-stainless-steel-quick-release-pin-style-fender-cleats-516.aspx Livorsi clips

http://www.hardin-marine.com/p-25622-stainless-steel-heavy-duty-quick-release-pin-style-fender-cleats.aspx Hardin makes there own clips

http://tacomarine.com/item--Quick-Release-Fender-Lock--F16-0151-1.html Taco's clip looks like Cobalt but it is slightly smaller

http://www.captainsmarine.com/catalog_product_detail.asp?cat_7473-96163_product_1300342.Fender_Clip_Package.htm Cobalt pins, very high quality SS

Thread Information