Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

I made the calculation and you have a slip of 16.5%. I write in my post the numbers I run last time with best of 74.4 mph @ 5400 rpm with a Tempest Plus 27 and have a slip of 6.2% .
    If this is your max rpm, with a 26 pitch and bigger diameter prop like the Tempest Plus with a slip of 9% . You can run 85 @ 7100. This is only a theorical calculation based in the numbers I have. Your gearcase run higher than mine, but the perfect slip should be less than 10%.

The Rev Limiter on the current test motor is 8250RPM BOMPANEN
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Gas tank primed and ready for installation...........

Question for those who have done this before.........

I have chosen a Valspar red to gel the hull and hull sides right to the rub rail and also the transom. The boats deck will be white with the Classic red stripe. I'm going back and forth on whether to gel or paint the white deck and c_ckpit tub. On the one hand, I like the shine and clean up simplicity of today's paints for the deck, on the other hand I like the hardness of white gel for the inevitable wear and tear top sides. I'm thinking of the kids and when the rivet on the Levis drags across the surface and scratches it. I'm also not up on the latest repair techniques and which product is more easily color matched and repaired.

Any opinions on this appreciated. I also have to decide which white color code to use, I'm sure there are several that Donzi used.

I never was able to devise proper storage so we decided on wet and dry storage bins as a partial solution. The second picture is how I sketched out how I thought the design might work last year. Cool to see it come to life. These sit in between the rumble seats and behind the bench. They are primed and we are thinking of adding some bling by spraying them the same red as the hull. We still have to decide how to hinge or attach the tops which stand proud in the picture. The rear locker had to have an unexpected radius built into both sides to allow for your kiester to fit. I have a couple of other storage surprises that we are working on. Even though it is only a 16, it still needs a place for "stuff".

Greg~
    Pretty slick storage bin.
    This storage solution must have pushed this project's retail build cost up to near the $300,000 .
    If you were to actually mass market this boat~~~that is .

How is the windscreen for this project comming along?

I vote for gellcoat on both the hull & deck.
    As long as you are going to use Gell on the project anyway.

Keep up the great work !
    Last edited by silverghost; 09-14-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    "BENCHSEAT 18" ~~YellowJacket~~ project owner~
    1929 Chris~Craft 28' Tripple Cockpit Mahogany Speedboat / A-120-A 845 Cu.In. 375 H.P. Chris~Craft V-8 racing engine.
    24' American Skier
    Super Eagle 454 HO Skiboat
    1991 454 SS Chevy Super Sport Pick-up for towing my "Toys".

There is no such thing as going too fast ~ ~~
    OR~ Being too old~ for a new "Toy"!

Brad Hunter
    Huntingdon Valley Pa (Just outside Philly)~
    Ocean City NJ
    silverghost1926@msn.com
    215 947 4676 (PA Home)

Greg, FWIW, Minicraft told me that in the '80's, many if not most MFGR's white gels were "Classic White", with the term "Classic" having nothing to do w/Donzi.
    I used this shade to re-gel the bottom of the Minx.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Thanks George, there is always some detail to mess with around each corner it seems. Brad, I have the deck curve template now for the windscreens and have found (after many false starts) what I think is a fabricator that can work with both the metal and the glass needed. It has been tough to get them to focus on the screens but that is the way it goes when you are "the little guy". They may even have an actual deck out in there storage area but they are not sure if it is from a 16 or an 18. If they have that, it will make things a lot easier.

We devised this battery tie down approach just in case it helps to move the battery forward to the bow area for weight distribution. It sits flush against the bulkhead on a glassed in base with enough room beneath the floor to fiddle with the top posts. Rigging tubes will be left and right.

Watch for wear on the hull and battery with that mount. Might need some kind of cushioning.
    Nick
    1994 22' Classic-454 B1 Red & white
    1981 13' Whaler sport(original owner)
    South Tampa Bay, FL "May I mamoo dogface to the banana patch?"

Some more shots .........

I hate it when this happens.............I'm thinking about making a last minute change to the hull and adding a notch to the pad. It's really Ed D's fault as he is the only one who ever did this to a 16 and my thought is that it will allow me to mount whatever power I end up going with closer to the transom. I then tried to track down the other pad bottom 16 that was spotted in Texas but can't find that guy to talk to him and see what he did with his 16 OB

The hull is primed and it might be too late

Multiple simultaneous variables

Hmmmm

Greg I have been doing some pad research, it looks like your pad on st is built into the hull and not added to insrease hull depth. Is this correct? What core material was used to build the pad? What was your laminating schedule? I have been thinking of adding pad 10" wide 6' long 1.5" deep and starting 8" forward of the transom. Does the Mule have a pad? And if so what was the before and after resaults, handling and speed?

For core and layup related questions you would have to ask the Master Fabricator. I'm the idea guy and Clint and team convert my blue sky thoughts into fiberglass reality.

As to the pad design, I probably had 50 different chats with owners of pad bottom V's to pick there brains. Many were S+F folks who have a lot of real world experience running this type of stuff in the Great South Bay and similiar waters but I also received feedback from several West Coast shops who have built and run some pretty incredible stuff for the ski-race crowd. Mike Ramirez, for example can and has built just about everything. I then took all that and employed the services of Jim Russell. Jim is very well known in performance circles and has evolved modeling software that can perform numerous "what if" scenarios. He produced a pretty detailed report that had gads of info like the pic below. Jim is in business so I don't want to provide much more but suffice to say he was worth every penny and routinely is called upon by UAE types for consultation work.

You are also correct, The Mule does have a pad but its bottom design is different then Surface Tensions will be because my ultimate goal is different. The Mule's bottom was evidently the result of Don Aronow and Bob Magoon guidance. This is second hand info BUT I will say that over the time I have owned it, I have relayed the specifics to many people and the background seems to check out. Grizz was one of the people who commented to me before his passing that he felt the story was a valid one, however, I have nothing in writing that could prove it short of this excerpt...........

"one day i was doing an anesthesia rotation and wound up in bob magoon's (opthamological surgeon) operatory. as we chatted while he placed a new lens we found out that i did the same aerobic class as his wife and his best friend was Don Aronow. it turns out he was an offshore racer in the late 70's with Don. when i told him i had a 74 baby upside down in my garage and i was modifying it he was all excited and that saturday he and don showed up at my house. it was like two big kids arguing over what should be done. unfortunately don was assasinated several weeks later, but bob kept track of my progress over the years. hows that for donzi history?"

Bear in mind younger that I'll only know if all this malarchy works when it gets splashed. It could run like crap and the build is still a ways off. I know what The Mule can do but ST is a big question mark for sure. I'll be sorry when the day comes to sell The Mule, even though it did try to kill me. Ed D really is the guy that got 'er done and we are all just going backwards compared to what he accomplished with a Donzi 16 hull. Amazing is an understatement.

btw younger, if you do decide to move forward with the pad idea on your BH 16, I would suggest that you attempt to strike up a conversation with TUFF. First, they are right in your neck of the woods and second those boys have shown some incredible results with pad design efforts. Perhaps they would warm up to the project and give you some insights. Certainly worth a ride or three.

Thread Information