Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    I also need to figure out how to deal with the splashwell. We decided to modify it such that the transom lip will be gone. That means the splashwell glass will join the top of the transom at a roughly 115 degree angle. I'd like to carry the SS them that will be present with the rubrail choice pictured below and somehow have a SS edgeing that will prevent any dents from affecting the splashwell edge. Not sure yet how to pull this off but I think we'll need it because we will have an all red hull and transom meeting a white splashwell.
    Are you doing a custom bracket? If you cut down the transom lip flush with the splashwell you loose the area for the top motor mount bolts.....Am I missing something? Or are you changing the top deck splashwell to meet the current transom height?

On another note.....my deck off has started....pics to come and it's own thread.....sending things out and ordering parts....
    C16B67 My "baby"
    2012 World Cat 320EC 4.2L V6 F300 Yamahas

Modified splashwell. Bolts accessed from within.......... Second pic is a nice close-up of a factory well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow....your going a lot further than I am.....that looks great. I got the transom part of the cap to come loose tonight....now my cap is loose and ready to pull off.......sent out vents, bow chocks, bow eye w/trim to be re-chromed today.....what model rubrail did you decide on? Who makes it...I got a list a mile long of parts to get....hyd steering, tabs, gauges....... soon as my cap is off pics and questions to follow....
    C16B67 My "baby"

Just looked at your cap picture again. I was going to have paint done while deck was off....but now I think it would be better to join the deck/hull first and then paint. The two halves take a bit of work to get together...
    C16B67 My "baby"

Carbo, I decided to change the splashwell based on the project theme, which is doing things the factory might do if they were making the OB 16 today. Here are some pics. Pic #1 is what we found for the transom. Notice that it is not that thick where the splashwell would "join" it. We put in a new transom. Pic #2 shows how the lip was "raised" to allow for a modified splashwell. This could create a risky situation, as I want to use a 15" SS motor on the project so that shaft length may not work. We have to wait and see on that one!
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Pic #1 and #5 is a factory splashwell from a 1976 currently in Michigan. Notice the height of the lip? Pic #2 is the factory splashwell "at rest" of a 16 OB "pop" from Canada. Pics #3 and #6 are of the mid 90's factory OB with #3 being the splashwell of the rare 1995 16 OB Baby. Notice that when they did the (6) mid 90's OB hulls for the dealer show circuit, they changed the splashwell design. I always wanted to get a better photo of the lip height but never got a reply back.

Then, in Pic #4 is an interesting factory picture showing what looks like a dual level splashwell. Can anyone date this photo?

Greg, In the picture #2 it appears that the splashwell is a seperate piece, was this boat made as I/O too. "HIGH LIFE"

That transom waterline in the middle picture is NOT what our older 16's are like. I just looked at some pictures in the first couple pages of the 16 OB HP thread and they all have at least 4" more......that '95 transom is scary....I am having my transom redone so I may have it raised a few inches anyway, using a setback jackplate will give me a bit of adjustment, I plan on using a 20" motor. I do like your flush well though and am considering it....a lot of work though.
    C16B67 My "baby"

Donzi Classic's in general, and the 16's in particular have limited storage as everyone has mentioned. I wanted to give Surface Tension as much hidden storage as possible. Clint came up with some good ideas and we have changed the wet storage cooler as shown in pic #1 below. The goal is to be able to fold down the center armrest and reach in for a for a cold soda. Behind that cooler, we hope to have a slim dry storage locker. This will be used for cell phones, keys or that kind of stuff for the rumble seat passengers. It won't be much as you can see in pic # 2, but better then nothing

I also have to do a little more detail work on forward storage. I figure might as well think through the options. I am 100% on the front bench with fold down armrest and storage within as shown in pic #1. I'd also like to have Clint add a couple of recessed water bottle holder locations like pic #2. There might be enough room for them on the forward port and starboard wall and it would be cool to use LED to "glow" them a bit at night. Not sure they will fit but I think they will and I'll want them to look factory. No jumbo bottles, just enough for the 12oz screw top bottles or maybe have to drop down to 8oz to loose some height

Gotta give it to you Greg You really think everything thru. Livorsi just came out with a cup holder that has a built in LED and I put them in my boat They are really cool at night

Parnell
    Time forSweet Cheekz to find a new home

Thanks, right now we are slowed down a bit and starting to really want my gas tank to show up. Another smaller detail I am thinking of is a slight shock spring for the rumble seats only. It would be nice to soften the ride just a touch for the kids and I am wondering if a small glasswork change to the seat box bases would allow something like the seat spring in pics below to be installed into a recessed notch. As pictured, they stand far to proud, but I suspect they might come in various heights? The problem is I have NO idea who the supply company is, I only have these photos. Will 1"-2" of travel produce anything meaningful in added comfort?

Opinions or sarcasm welcome

I also a thinking about something really wacky. I am told that Allison has a new nav marker light that includes, somehow, LED dock spots that are built in. Anyone have any info on these? The other option is to go with a standard classic bow light from the O/B or the split lense bow light from the early 16 I/O and find a way to "sweep" the top with a single LED white flood light controlled by a switch with a dimmer. It's always nice to have some extra lighting on the dock. Hmmmmmm, have to noodle this a bit.

I got one of these for my bow. LED bright and low profile.

C16B67 My "baby"

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    I got one of these for my bow. LED bright and low profile.

A feller at west marine told me that coast guard doesn't approve LED running lights because they aren't bright enough.
    Never Kick a opossum at 40 mph!

Thread Information