Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

The gas tanks in my MAGNUM had a 3/4" plastic hose on the keel, it was siliconeed as it passed thru the bulkheads, to keep the water from pooling. "HIGH LIFE"

Windscreens

I've developed the retro concept a bit more with the help of several board members. I am starting to think I can create a design that works within the factory theme and does not look like chit. Goal is to have it look cool instead but the jury's out on that! The factory offered a windshield after all, right? It still needs some development but the thought is to do two windscreens, no more then 14" high as the factory screen is 14" high. They must be removable as they will be seldom used. I'll also set things up so that the windscreens can be used to shield the rumble seat riders if needed so as to help the little ones who want to take a spin. I have to think about where to store them and how. Thanks to Axel for working up some custom shots that helped me to visualize the concept, to Tony for opinions, and to Jay for giving me a bunch of measurements off his factory 16 windshield. Here is Tony's commentary............

Greg,
    I sold my Ski Sporter to Jay Lurie (jl1962) about 6 year ago. He took the factory windshield off, but I'm sure he still has it and could measure it. My wife loved the windshield. When she sat in the wrap-around bench, with her back towards the bow and her legs straight aft, she would be entirely out of the wind...meaning I could go WOT whenever I wanted! I'm 5'11" and, by slightly slouching and leaning, I also could place myself entirely out of the wind.

To me, on an older Ski Sporter, the factory windshield looked fine. Coupled with the effectiveness of it, in my opinion it is a worthwhile item.

Good luck!
    Tony
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Here are some pics for those who care. Helps me to see it all on "paper"
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have owned a SeaRay 200 BR (20' Bow Rider), and spent a LOT of time in a 1984 Larson 17' bow rider.

When either was set up with the bow rider cover in place, which made it like a closed bow boat, but the center section of the windshield was left open (the walk through glass folded back against the passenger windshield), the resulting turbulence was such that you had to lean against the outside edge of the cockpit to avoid it. When the center section was closed, it was a completely different, and substantially better situation. The reduction in wind was substantial.

If you are building a windshield for the purpose of wind reduction, it might make sense to have the windshield span the entire cockpit.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Good feedback Bill. I'm no aerodynamics ace but I wonder if the dual windscreens had a small amount of radius in them that it would help alter that. I don't have the hull in front of me at the moment, but I was thinking of duplicating the slight radius that the front of the _ockpit has. While full width would clearly be a more efficient windscreen, I think it might kill the "look" I'm going for. It also would make storage a significant issue, where with the duals I think I can work some options in this tiny hull.

Curious, was the glass you reference dead flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Curious, was the glass you reference dead flat?
    The SeaRay windshield was curved nicely at the outside corners, and almost flat in the middle. The Larson windshield was done with plate glass, so no curves.
    “Oh right, because you walked into strippers discount warehouse and said ‘Help me showcase my intellect.’” - Archer

Bill
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    1985 Donzi Criterion SS
    1967 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter, C16-409, Has a new home!
    38' Carver Aft Cabin
    1968 Sea Ray SRV 180 w/1975 70 hp Evinrude
    10" RIB w/15 hp 1984 Evinrude

Ok, put all the various puzzle pieces together in my head and here is where I ended up on the wind screen concept. Maybe if Axel is feeling kind he can work his magic to do a mock up whenever he has time. I believe to make it all work I'll need to figure out if I have to use glass, lexan or acrylic. Whatever it ends up being it will be clear. I also think to make it work I'll need hinged returns on both sides. This way I can still have two screens, but join the center wings if needed. On the rear rumble seats the mounting will not be a problem, but on the front deck, I still have to noodle that a bit. I want the screens to sit close to the factory hand rail, but there will be a lot of rigging in the way that close to the dashboard so mounting there may not be practical. Need the boat in front of me for that piece of the program. Also need to find an ace fabricator for the SS frames and hinges so lots to do.

Greg, here are some ideas:

I would do the center glass in one piece, you can still bolt it on or off, with two center pieces it looks too complicated. I think it also looks better if you leave it without the side wind-aways, just a center piece. And the center glass could be done in colored lexan matching the deck-stripe, in your case cause your deck stripe looks black make it very dark tinted- would be kinda cool...

Big thanks Axel, I am getting the "picture". Doing the center as a single piece makes more sense. I think I would have a simple piece of glass that would just slide down into a recessed or hidden channel on the primary left and right screen frames. Those frame surrounds would be done out of 316 SS Mirror Finish. On the side wings, I kind of like the fighter plane look and there is no doubt that some type of wing significantly helps with the airflow buffeting function. There would also need to be a 1" "lip" at the top of the two primary screens to re-route the airflow above your head (hopefully) and send it back to the eggbeater. I'm also thinking the size of the primary screens would be about 14" high and 25" wide to match the width of the rumble seat hatches, and then set at a minor rake of maybe 15 degrees to the deck or fairly upright. We set down some 1x2 stock that followed the line of the rumble hatches to see how that transposed foward. The deck stripe will be 7" wide of the overall 53" width. Jay was also kind enough to take a look at his factory windshield and tells me that the rake is between 40 and 45 degrees. Thanks JL This may change what rake I decide on.

The cool thing about this forum is it gives me a chance to go back in and add bunches of content well after the fact. It helps me keep the build straight in my head or else I would loose track of all the details as I'm certainly no blogger. Time to think about upholstery options so we decided to do a dry fit to see how things look. It's not like there is a lot of cushions. I will use solid red. Not sure of the exact details yet, but before we gel, I have to decide on what shade of red vinyl will be used. This way we can match the red gel to the red vinyl. If anyone has done solid red vinyls and has any input it would be welcome. I am not sure on pleat width and bolster patterning yet but I do know the pipe will be the same red. I want a crisp, but retro look.

Are you going to want to keep with red piping as well? Generally pleat width is about 1.75 - 2.0" inches wide. I would have to check my notes & patterns for the classics. Also the width gets adjusted when going thru turns..

I can give ya just what you are looking for & fit them to the boat.. If you want to get really crazy we can also use different textures, or a leatherette feel (looks & feels like real leather). There are different stitches that can also be done too.. All depends on how custom you would want to go..

Jamie / Lakeside..

The cool thing about this forum is it gives me a chance to go back in and add bunches of content well after the fact. It helps me keep the build straight in my head or else I would loose track of all the details as I'm certainly no blogger. Time to think about upholstery options so we decided to do a dry fit to see how things look. It's not like there is a lot of cushions. I will use solid red. Not sure of the exact details yet, but before we gel, I have to decide on what shade of red vinyl will be used. This way we can match the red gel to the red vinyl. If anyone has done solid red vinyls and has any input it would be welcome. I am not sure on pleat width and bolster patterning yet but I do know the pipe will be the same red. I want a crisp, but retro look.
    Greg, I haven't forgotten about the color sample. BASF stopped offering the single stage UNO HD hardener in pints, and a quart would run our of shelf life before I'd run out of hardener, a quart is $150.00! A pint has been ordered from another store, actually two, but someone sold the first one!!!! So, this weekend, hopefully, I'll get caught up w/my painting!
    Maybe you could PM your address
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

No worries George and thanks. While I have do you agree that upholstery manufacturer/color/texture/type should be selected first to get a bead on the red? My hull and sides will be red. Deck will be white with a matching red stripe. I have color samples from Valspar and Ferro in hand now and I have been told by PPI that there are a few dozen reds when it comes to the upholstery

Thanks Jamie,
    If you have any pics of reds you have done post them up. Have you ever done an integrated fold down center armrest?

Thanks Jamie,
    If you have any pics of reds you have done post them up. Have you ever done an integrated fold down center armrest?
    The Arm rest is not too big of a deal it just needs to be designed in. I have done some boats with them in the past, although there are not to many out there with it. It worked very similar tho to the ones you would see in an auto application. I remember for some reason doing a Century with one in it a couple years ago..

As far as solid red it can look good. I am not sure if I have any full pleat seats that were done in solid red, but I should have some full red seats that we did in the wooden boats. The pic of the Penn Yan that I sent you last week for reference to the windshield brackets we did all in red.

Also I am doing a solid red pleated interior for my 22Tr keyed to match the exterior red & then I am just going to set the gray oe interior in a box and time capsule it.. I never much cared for the gray in that boat.. lol

I will look thru my notes an pics tho in between goings on & If I see some pics I will try to post em up if I find them..

Getting hammered with snow here this monrning with a supposed good dose of ice after that....

Jamie / Lakeside

Thread Information