Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Carbo, that thought has gone through my mind more then once

OG, not sure I understand your question?

Jay, how long have you used it and do you apply it right to the gel bottom?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

Been using Hullkote for a few years - it is a relatively new product. I use it on my Laser, Vanguard 15 and the Thistle - all small, drysailed one-designs.

McLube Sailkote spray has been around for 10 years or so and is great for anything that slides or spins especially if the boat is used in saltwater.

That is great info as I boat in saltwater also. Thanks

Even though sunshine is sparse, I laid out the color chips to at least eyeball them. Even with a lousy cell camera, easy to see the major difference. Question for those who have the experience with gelcoating, how does one add "pearl" to a given color and what does it actually do?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't answer your question, I'm totally clueless.
    But what's that white stuff on the ground?
    Where I am doesn't look like that.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Even though sunshine is sparse, I laid out the color chips to at least eyeball them. Even with a lousy cell camera, easy to see the major difference. Question for those who have the experience with gelcoating, how does one add "pearl" to a given color and what does it actually do?
    You might need to consult with a gelcoat manufacturing company to make sure pearl will still create the effect in gelcoat that it does in paint. In the case of automotive paints, it takes very little to create the effect - too much and it will look like a glazed ham going down the highway as a friend of mine once explained - lol. Bill

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3
    1985 Eliminator 23' Daytona Offshore - Kevlar hull
    1988 23' Donzi CC F-23 with 250HP EFI Mercury OB
    1989 28' Team Warlock Offshore - single 548CID/600HP
    1990 23' Warlock Offshore - single 525HP
    Bill from Denison, TX - Lake Texoma

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador_del_mar View Post
    You might need to consult with a gelcoat manufacturing company to make sure pearl will still create the effect in gelcoat that it does in paint. In the case of automotive paints, it takes very little to create the effect - too much and it will look like a glazed ham going down the highway as a friend of mine once explained - lol. Bill

http://www.paintwithpearl.com/pearlstore.htm
    I agree w/Bill.
    I've not heard of pearl being added to gel. Plenty of metal flake on about 20,000 bass boats around here though.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

I wanted to add that pearls definitely add an awesome glisten in the sunlight if that is the effect you are after. Here is my Vette with 3 colors of pearl in the paint. I painted it about 4 years ago - those are not photoshopped stars from the sunlight - . Bill

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ife3PkxVCAA[/media]

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Greg,
    I am amazed at your project - highly cool. If you are trying to get just the right red, you will probably have to do what I am doing with my Martini. I just met with a man yesterday who specialized in gelcoat repairs. He will be color matching my maroon color with a base color of red gelcoat and tinting it with a color tint kit from either Minicraft or Spectrum. Bill

1971 Donzi 18' 2+3

Thanks guys for the kind words. I'm always amazed at all the little things that pop up as you roll through a project. I'm glad that the 16 Baby is what I had the "connection" with from way back, 16 feet is about all I can handle! The bigger stuff that you all do is pretty amazing to say the least.

Now on the gel front, several comments. We decided to prime the hull itself black, so right away the color I select will be darker when the gel is laid down. The boat will only run in salt water, so that has to be taken into account. Clint and I have gone back and forth on the reds to use and now that I have the samples I can wrap my head around what choice to make. Before we gel, I'll also have to decide what vinyl I want to use. Clint will gel the entire bottom red, right up to the rub rail. Above the rub rail will be white and we have not decided on gel or paint for that portion just yet. On the bottom, the thought with a pearl coat, was to add just a touch of depth and sparkle. This is my idea and I have no experience with this sort of thing but seeing as I am not going for a historical build like the TR or the Martini, I'm safe. I want timeless and classy, but thought a coat or two of pearl might provide a little extra pop when the sun hits it correctly. The rest of the time it will look like a Classic Red from back in the day. Not sure if a clear should then be applied on top of that to boot in a saltwater environment. I am a little worried that using clear might make the appearance upkeep a lot tougher, thoughts on that appreciated. On the pearl, I assume that the 009 boats are sprayed with that process, but heavy, and I don't want that effect, just want a little depth and sparkle kinda thing

As an aside, any preferences on gel or paint for the deck and the hull's interior? Thanks

Pearl is usually done in paint. There are different paint colors that sometimes require different techniques & products too. Some colors can have some pearl in s single stage, others it must be 2 stage & some must be done in a tri coat (2 different base coats & then the clear).. Some of it can be a real PITA, especially when blending if and when it is possible on some repairs.

I dont think you will get the same result trying to suspend any type of pearl in a solid color gelcoat for the most part as the gel is too thick. It would have a tenancy to cling to the pearl and cover it without letting the sparkle thru that you are looking for..

When you see pearl in gel coat, it is usually either A# a painted pearl over gel with a paint.. OR it is in-between layers of gel coat like metal flake, or suspended in a clear gel coat that is applied over your base color.. This can be a PITA like working with metal flake gel finishes as it is usually applied in the same fashion.

If you were going to try to get a pearlecent type look or finish with a solid color gel coat rather than suspending pearl in a clear accordingly you may have problems. I would strongly try a test run in a large enough test panel first to see if it is going to give you the result you want.. I would NOT recommend the single stage gel approach if you are looking for the pearl effect.. At least not unless I have missed something in what you are asking about or unless you have a color that the gel manufacturer has actually recommended and produced with it in it already..

Hope it helps you.. Jamie / Lakeside

Pearl is actually made of plastic. It is mostly shot ontop of your basecoat and its a 3 step process. Basecoat, pearlcoat then Clearcoat I dont see any reason why it couldnt be applied to gelcoat as long as you use clear ontop of the color.
    I usually use House of Kolor Paints for my custom work. Pearl can be a bit tricky to lay down but as long as you know a few simple rules its pretty easy. House of Kolor has pearls in dry form. they are mixed with an intercoat clear to make it sprayable. If you use a siphon gun and dont have an agitatior in it simply use a couple ball bearings and drop them in the cup. when you use the gun it will keep pearl from settleing to the bottom. Also final coat of Pearl should be a "drop coat" Meaning you boost up the pressure and hold the gun about 2 to 3 feet away from the panel your painting at a 45 degree angle and dust it. This makes the pearl stand up and catch light best
    Good luck
    The sting of poor quailty far outlasts the Joy of a cheap price...

Found this product
    Home > Products > Polipigment Color Paste > Metallic and Pearlescent Colors

Polipigment Color Paste Series
    Color pastes and pigments for composites and other resin systems.

Polipigment Color Pastes
    Opaque Primary Colors
    High Performance H.T. Colors
    Transparent Colors
    Clear Button Colors
    Metallic and Pearlescent Colors
    Custom, RAL and Pantone Colors
    How to Mix Color Pastes?

How to mix
    color pastes?

Information about
    mixing Polipigment color pastes.
    Technical information about CIE
    Lab color space. Learn more

Custom
    colored
    gelcoats
    and
    pastes

The color paste and gelcoat color matching is done upon request. A color sample, RAL, Pantone, NCS or international standard color code is required.
    The colors are specially formulated for each user and custom made according the usage field and gel coat type in order to achieve the most suitable color for the usage purpose Learn more

Product Technical Information
    You can find detailed information about Poliya products at the online documents section or you can simply click the following items for information about the items on this page

Poliya Main Catalog

Color Catalog

RAL Color Swatches

Storage and
    handling

Information about
    storing and handling Polipigment color pastes. Learn more

Metallic and Pearlescent Colors

This group contains metallic and reflective pigment color paste. They form different colorific images depending on the material and light source.
    They act like a metallic or pearlescent or iridescence color gelcoat. They can also be combined with transparent colors. Metallic and pearl (pearlescent) colors should be applied in gelcoat spray form to get a homogeneous layer. If they are applied in gelcoat brush form, brush marks may be seen. After mixing, wait one hour before application.

Polipigment Metallic Silver
    Metallic silver colored pigment paste. This pastes forms silver-colorific images depending on the material and light source.
    It should be used in spray gelcoat it can also be combined with transparent colors. If combined with opaque colors such as White the metallic effect fades.

Polipigment Metallic Bronze
    Metallic bronze colored pigment paste. This pastes forms bronze-colorific images depending on the material and light source.
    It should be used in spray gelcoat it can also be combined with transparent colors. If combined with opaque colors such as White the metallic effect fades.

Polipigment White Pearl
    White pearlescent colored pigment paste. This pastes forms a white pearl colorific images depending on the material and light source.
    It is specially designed for clothing and apparel buttons.

Polipigment Metallic Gold
    Metallic gold colored pigment paste. This pastes forms gold-colorific images depending on the material and light source.

Polipigment Metallic Titanium
    Metallic titanium colored pigment paste. This pastes forms titanium-colorific images depending on the material and light source.

Polipigment Package Types

You can choose any package type suitable for your production system or you can get further information from our sales department regarding container options.

Can 1 kg
    x6 in shrink box
    (Ø16,5cmx7,5cm)

Pail 5 kg
    x4 in shrink box
    (Ø16,5cmX24,5cm)

Bucket 20 kg
    (Ø28,5cmX38cm)

Organic and Inorganic Based Pigments

Inorganic Based Color Pastes

Hybrid Organic + Inorganic

Organic Based Color Pastes

• 01 White
    • 02 White
    • 05 White
    • 09 White
    • 13 Light Yellow
    • 15 Dark Yellow
    • 155 Dark Yellow
    • 17 Oxide Yellow

• 21 Brick
    • 23 Light Brown
    • 27 Dark Brown
    • 53 Orange
    • 531 Red
    • 535 Red
    • H.T. Red
    • H.T. Light Yellow
    • H.T. Green
    • H.T. Blue

• 36 Navy Blue*
    • 43 Black*
    • 571 Red*

• 16 Dark Yellow
    • 22 Red Brown
    • 24 Dark Brown
    • 36 Navy Blue*
    • 33 Helio Blue
    • 43 Black*
    • 59 Claret
    • 63 Helio Green
    • 72 Violet
    • 74 Violet

• 120 Light Yellow
    • 560 Red
    • 566 Red
    • 570 Red
    • 571 Red*
    • 575 Red
    • 579 Red

Before choosing the color, please refer to the sales department or Poliya resellers and distributors for original color samples. Poliya is not responsible for any damage which may occur by using this site and colors as a guide.

The colors displayed above are only for preview purpose and should not be used as a guide. Even if the monitors are calibrated there can be color changes in the computer display.

Holy moly, thanks dsparis that's a great amount of info. Have you used any of these?

Newbie here........Ok, what is an opaque versus a transparent color
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information