Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Building Surface Tension

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Guimond View Post
    Newbie here........Ok, what is an opaque versus a transparent color
    Opaque= not transmitting or reflecting light or radiant energy; impenetrable to sight
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com
    http://kineticocentralfl.com/

“If you have to argue your science by using fraud, your science is not valid"
    Professor Ian Plimer, Adilaide and Melbourne Universities

So red is considered an opaque gel coat?
    1972 16 OB - C16B-63 - "Surface Tension" Resto Project
    1974 16 OB - DMR16106017-B - "The Mule"

I know that new products and processes are being developed continuously, but many clear gels, including Minicrafts, will yellow over time. That's a bummer as it was something I wanted to try.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

So red is considered an opaque gel coat?
    Mine definately is. Since dark colors are mixed in a neutral base (somewhat clear) the density of the color is dependent on a lot of pigment in the gel, that makes it opaque.
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

The clear coat may not yellow if it is only on the hullsides and out of the direct sun. There is no doubt that a coat or two of clear when polished out will give you a mirror finish. The question is, on a boat, can it be properly maintained. Most of the times these boats are not garage queens like some cars.

Interesting find, but I guess that company only has offices in Turkey? That explains why I am unfamiliar with that particular line up/brand I guess.. J
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg p.JPG (123.6 KB, 66 views)

Correct, but I would suspect they have US Distribution. If not, you can be the first

Correct, but I would suspect they have US Distribution. If not, you can be the first

they have got a german office and adress

My two cents on pearls

Eliminator boat company uses pearl in their gelcoats. It can be added to color or clear and will give a hint of sparkle in either case. Makes repairs a little tougher but not impossible. Dupont 1002 s red pearl added to your red hull will definetly make it pop.

DuPont Powder Pearls
    Available in pearl and xirallic colors, DuPont Powder Pearls provide a bright and clean appearance. With unexpected glitter and sparkle, these colors are more brilliant in appearance than other pigments.
    Powder Pearls are available in the following pearl and xirallic color:

1002S™ - Red Pearl - Gives red cast head-on and side-tone

Hot Hues Hot Efx™ Powder Additives are concentrated fine particles that give a sparkling or gem-like appearance to any custom project. Hot Efx™ Powder Additives are designed to let the painter create their own unique custom colors. Be sure to view your customized color in sun light to see the true pearl or xirallic effect these products deliver. The eight pearl and four xirallic effects are packaged in convenient 4 oz. containers. So whether youre jazzing up an overall finish or tricking out your graphics, you can use as little or as much as you like to give it a completely custom look all its own.

I found the pic below which is a sample of the Valspar color option. Hard to tell in the photo but the silver is "heavy" pearl which the red is "light" pearl. It tells me I do not want heavy pearl in the gel.

I decided to perform a little pre-spring mod to the cowling of a possible motor choice. Actually, I did nothing, but was lucky enough to have Andy D from the forum donate his expertise. Andy also has a 16 OB Baby. When he first got it and was looking to do a re-power he and I traded some PM's about options. He decided to go with a Mercury 225X I had found in freshwater Florida. The X is the last of the line for the old school 2.5L. When he got it though, his wife was bummed about the noise of the motor versus other boats We traded a few more notes and I turned him on to both Dynamat and Quiet Coat. Well, long story short is he modded his cowl and was succesful in dropping the db level nicely. I had a motor in Orlando and decided to ship him the cowl for "the treatment" knowing that he knew the drill. I'll coat the intake plenum when Spring gets around to showing up. Here are a couple of pics.......Thanks a lot Andy!

If you aren't familiar with the product, here is a clip:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu1wd7PlLyM&autostart=1[/media]

This rig takes the cake for red !! Gotta love the left coast! Gotta loose the bimini though.

This rig takes the cake for red !! Gotta love the left coast! Gotta loose the bimini though.
    It looks close to the TR color.

Biminis are important out in the desert.
    Man, but it gets hot!!!!!!!!
    George Carter
    Central Florida
    gcarter763@aol.com

I agree, in the west coast waterworld cover is a must.

With everyone at the Miami show, it has been tough to get any dimensions on this hidden helm from Hardin Marine. If anyone is down there, ask if they brought one along with the big money bling in there booth! My hope is that the cover plate diameter is about the same as a gauge. I'll also need to get the depth when they return to the shop next week. It is really hard to tell from the photos, but if the diameter is close, maybe it would look symmetrical on the dash that I have not laid out yet. I only have about 48" of dash width so I am still not sure what can even fit. Anyone know of a virtual dash gauge layout site? Still not sure if the dual helm will work in such a tight dash .

Thread Information